Home

thank you Ian and the rest of the Madden Team

This is a discussion on thank you Ian and the rest of the Madden Team within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: thank you Ian and the rest of the Madden Team

You know I see a lot of posters on this board that like to complain that EA forced them to waste $60 on their game. When I went in to purchase this game, I did not see an EA representative standing at the till with a gun in their hands saying "you will give your $60 to the freak behind the counter, and you will take our game."

Even though Madden is the only licensed game out there, you still do not have to buy it.
If everyone rented the game and played it to find all the bugs, because lets be honest the first 2 days are when most of these bugs are found as everyone goes looking for them. If everyone rented the game and said I will not give you my $60 until I am positive these items are fixed, then EA would have to listen, or just shut down all together and then where would we be. A new company starting to make NFL games, how long would it take to get to where it has taken Madden 21 years to get to.

If you wasted $60 on this game then you only have yourself to blame. How many people buy a car without test driving it, how many people buy a home without looking at them, for that matter how many people buy clothes without trying them on.
As the consumer it is your responsibilty to make sure you are happy with what you are purchasing. Do the research before you blame EA for making a you waste money.

So with all that being said, I would like to thank Ian and Co. for being on this board and sharing information with us.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 5

There is a term for these unreasonable expectations as the technology closes the gap on photo-realism: The Uncanny Valley.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #19
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

I dont want people to think that my post is excusing the flaws in the game or making an excuse for them.

Its merely saying that nobody, nothing, is perfect. not even the people who complain, or the people who dont.

we have to learn as people to temper our expectations, in anything, whatever that may be and know that everything isnt going to be exactly the way we want.

We can hope, we can be optimistic, but inevitably we will always be let down, if we do not learn to be realistic and adjust our own thinking.

Just liek it took TIME for the game to LOOK realistic...It's going to take TIME for the game to play realistic...

You can point out issues, and the most glaring ones will most likely not be neglected come next year.

But just know it is a process...I need the reminder just like anyone else because im not perfect and I too go off the deep end sometimes.

But like someone said, no one made you spend $60 n the game. you could have gotten a gamefly account, rented it, played the hell out of it, then made your choice to buy it, and accept its faults.

So please dont use that "excuse" as a justification why you are not happy.

Ian came on here and kept it real, he told u what was fixed, what he was working on fixing (things that were broken in madden 09) and what was not being addressed IIANM.

But, the word "Sim" gets anchored on so much in sports gaming. and it should stop because there wont be a true "simulation" for quite some time.

That was probably a mistake to use that word, but in general the game is an imporvement over previous iterations, aall the while making progress towards becoming more realistic (keyword becoming).

Its going to take time.

We just have to be realistic in our demands and expectations...were arent owed anything.

To say the game wasnt tested though...thats a big joke, and proves that whoever said that (and i hate saying this) "Doesnt know what the hell they are talking about"
Old 08-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 4

Ian, the OP forgot to mention that his GF wants to show you her knockers in appreciation for this game.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #21
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Men_in_Mass
All this game breaker, deal breaker fix this fix that need to put down there PS3 or Xbox wireless controller go find your NES if your of age, or if never played the NES go to utube and search Ten Yard Fight!! then complain.. I just joined this site and hear all the hate going on around here I hear Madden 09 was so bad, I played that game from Aug-Feb and loved it and if I never found this site I wouldn't hvae hear about 10 being broken when its not.. there I feel better.. by the way OP great post
Please don't mention 10 Yard Fight again. I actually played that game a year ago randomly and I'm glad to say it was never a part of my childhood.
But honestly this site has a ton of gamers who want the game to Extremely close to the real game of football. Some people's idea of simulation seems rediculous but that's their opinion. The there's people such as tazdevil who want the bugs to be out of the game. I really don't have any problems with those people because they have valid points. The only people who I don't like on this site are the people always trying to find a problem in the game. Of course you'll hate it if you play that way. If you do that with any game I'm sure you'll hate it. But you're definently in the minority here G Men when it comes to what you want in a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
I dont want people to think that my post is excusing the flaws in the game or making an excuse for them.

Its merely saying that nobody, nothing, is perfect. not even the people who complain, or the people who dont.

we have to learn as people to temper our expectations, in anything, whatever that may be and know that everything isnt going to be exactly the way we want.

We can hope, we can be optimistic, but inevitably we will always be let down, if we do not learn to be realistic and adjust our own thinking.

Just liek it took TIME for the game to LOOK realistic...It's going to take TIME for the game to play realistic...

You can point out issues, and the most glaring ones will most likely not be neglected come next year.

But just know it is a process...I need the reminder just like anyone else because im not perfect and I too go off the deep end sometimes.

But like someone said, no one made you spend $60 n the game. you could have gotten a gamefly account, rented it, played the hell out of it, then made your choice to buy it, and accept its faults.

So please dont use that "excuse" as a justification why you are not happy.

Ian came on here and kept it real, he told u what was fixed, what he was working on fixing (things that were broken in madden 09) and what was not being addressed IIANM.

But, the word "Sim" gets anchored on so much in sports gaming. and it should stop because there wont be a true "simulation" for quite some time.

That was probably a mistake to use that word, but in general the game is an imporvement over previous iterations, aall the while making progress towards becoming more realistic (keyword becoming).

Its going to take time.

We just have to be realistic in our demands and expectations...were arent owed anything.

To say the game wasnt tested though...thats a big joke, and proves that whoever said that (and i hate saying this) "Doesnt know what the hell they are talking about"
Who is asking for perfection? Madden 2005 was not perfection, neither was 2k5 or 2k8. I can appreciate that fact. No one expects perfection at all. If you followed the blogs, Ian kept pushing the mantra "if you see it on sunday". I think that was overly ambitious but I could appreciate it, and I know he didn't mean all in one year. At the same time, I get tired of hearing the excuses of "we only have one year". Yeah? Well you only had one year between 2004-2005 also. That's a cop out because it hasn't been one year. It's been 5 now on these consoles.

You are 100% correct about the 60 bucks. No one forces you to buy the game. Like I said in my original post about being a moron I fully admit to it. At the same time, when I see all of these things mentioned in these blogs, and the interaction with the community, yet the same stuff is still broken, I question what is really going on here. I have not seen a game that requires more patched fixes than Madden does. It's unreal. There is no way they are going to be able to address it. All of your points are valid and they are your particular take, which I can totally respect. However, I choose to hold my standards a bit higher and hope for a much higher quality product that I deem worthy of my 60 dollars.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInSaratoga
There is a term for these unreasonable expectations as the technology closes the gap on photo-realism: The Uncanny Valley.

Wow, I recently read about The Uncanny Valley and was also considering how it relates to the various preceptions to the game on these boards. I think it's going to intensify as the game continues to advance. Brace yourself....
Old 08-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 5

i love the graphics and people need to stop being so damn picky. If you want 100% perfect realism in an NFL game, go play in the NFL. Its a video game and a damn good one too. The biggest realism upgrade i think is the little things like the close first down measurements, the refs conferring on close tds, the rb body movement when he jumps and is hit in the air, etc.. If your mad about your $60 you should have rented it first. No game will ever be perfect. Enjoy this game or trade it in for a mario game.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »