Home

thank you Ian and the rest of the Madden Team

This is a discussion on thank you Ian and the rest of the Madden Team within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #25
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: thank you Ian and the rest of the Madden Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
Who is asking for perfection? Madden 2005 was not perfection, neither was 2k5 or 2k8. I can appreciate that fact. No one expects perfection at all. If you followed the blogs, Ian kept pushing the mantra "if you see it on sunday". I think that was overly ambitious but I could appreciate it, and I know he didn't mean all in one year. At the same time, I get tired of hearing the excuses of "we only have one year". Yeah? Well you only had one year between 2004-2005 also. That's a cop out because it hasn't been one year. It's been 5 now on these consoles.

You are 100% correct about the 60 bucks. No one forces you to buy the game. Like I said in my original post about being a moron I fully admit to it. At the same time, when I see all of these things mentioned in these blogs, and the interaction with the community, yet the same stuff is still broken, I question what is really going on here. I have not seen a game that requires more patched fixes than Madden does. It's unreal. There is no way they are going to be able to address it. All of your points are valid and they are your particular take, which I can totally respect. However, I choose to hold my standards a bit higher and hope for a much higher quality product that I deem worthy of my 60 dollars.
Wouldn't you rather have someone in charge who has confidence in their product vs someone who is laid back and just wants to stay status quo?

I'd rather someone aim for the top and fall somewhere in-between than having someone who wants to stay status quo.

We can't change the past and neither can Ian and his team. They can only change the future.

You have valid points, Taz, these issues should be fixed and maybe some of them can be patched.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #26
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Who is asking for perfection? Madden 2005 was not perfection, neither was 2k5 or 2k8. I can appreciate that fact. No one expects perfection at all. If you followed the blogs, Ian kept pushing the mantra "if you see it on sunday". I think that was overly ambitious but I could appreciate it, and I know he didn't mean all in one year. At the same time, I get tired of hearing the excuses of "we only have one year". Yeah? Well you only had one year between 2004-2005 also. That's a cop out because it hasn't been one year. It's been 5 now on these consoles.

You are 100% correct about the 60 bucks. No one forces you to buy the game. Like I said in my original post about being a moron I fully admit to it. At the same time, when I see all of these things mentioned in these blogs, and the interaction with the community, yet the same stuff is still broken, I question what is really going on here. I have not seen a game that requires more patched fixes than Madden does. It's unreal. There is no way they are going to be able to address it. All of your points are valid and they are your particular take, which I can totally respect. However, I choose to hold my standards a bit higher and hope for a much higher quality product that I deem worthy of my 60 dollars.
You missed the point.

Its not about asking for perfection.

And to say that the SAME flaws int he game are there isnt a true fact...some of the same flaws are there...because they were chosen to be.

They fall under the:
"Does it make the game unplayable if it remains" portion of development.

Will it take longer to fix this then to have resources on Pro-Tak?
Will this severely hamper how football is played
Given the resources if we fix this how much time will we have to fix Problem X

So maybe somethings to you may feel liek it was never addressed because the things you focus on are different from what the development team focuses on.

Fact is things that were issues in previous maddens arent issues any more.

There are still some issues that need to be addressed however.

Please dont think im apologizing for the guys.. i really am not, i just think people (myself included) need to calm down some time and take a step back.

Also, good point on Ian saying if you see it on Sunday its in the game, that was pretty ambitious but i attribute that to him just hyping the game more than anything, but it is true there are more "see it on sunday" moments in '10 vs any other madden.

soon maybe there will be even more.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Wouldn't you rather have someone in charge who has confidence in their product vs someone who is laid back and just wants to stay status quo?

I'd rather someone aim for the top and fall somewhere in-between than having someone who wants to stay status quo.

We can't change the past and neither can Ian and his team. They can only change the future.

You have valid points, Taz, these issues should be fixed and maybe some of them can be patched.
Oh yes, don't get me wrong, like I said, I think Ian has vision and genuinely wants the game to be good. I know how that is, I too am a software engineer for a large company. It's frustrating when your mgmt or other factors beyond your control prevent your product from being what you know it could be. However, at the end of the day, I can't tell our customers "It's not my fault", or "Really, we tried!". They don't care. They are paying for it.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
Whats up guys.

As a total non partial person in this Madden "sucks" debate im going to go on record in saying i am tottally having fun with this game.

I dont have to preface what im about to say with "its not perfect, but..." for obvious reasons.

The main problem with gamers, especially Sports gamers now-a-days is that our expectations are raised to a ridiculously high level. (even though you may not feel thats true..trust me it is) Most of us are in our late 20's, early 30's, and have seen these games evolve to this photorealistic level, with unparalleled control.

The problem with this is, through this maturation we also expect literal, real time, life like interactions...because of course we can now actually see arms, and fingers, and we can SEE soemone reaching out to try to grab a running back as he is being blocked.

The more realistic the game LOOKS, the more realistic we expect the game to play and feel. however, the technology, has not reached that level yet...well it has, but game development isnt a "fly by night" thing. Most of the things that we want, take time, resources and a lot of man power.

Yes its thier "job" (depending on what they are being told to work on)...but nothing about developing a game is easy.

So when you see things that have been in the game for 2-3 years and you are wondering "WHY ISNT THIS FIXED!!"

Ask yourself, with the limited knowledge you all have of the game industry, the company, the people who are actually working on the game, who is being told to do what...what else MAY have been "broken"...

Is the issue you have with the game currently something that prevents the game from being played?

In most cases that answer is no.

Now, Im not "apologizing" for any game company here. but a lot of the threads specifically in the Madden forum, and it also happens in the 2k and Live forum (i myself have even flown off the handle before) are a little ridicuous.

a lot of you guys put the game in and the first thing you do is wait for a problem to happen...or if you see a problem you log on and complain...whihc you have every right to do, but when you do that, you are not putting things in to perspective.

I would liek to thank Iain and his team for coming to OS and spending thier time with the community here, I noticed he hasnt been around lately but i want to let him and his team know:

You did a good job bro, keep up the good work, please dont let the people who dont understand get to you...they dont know any better. your work is appreciated and i Look forward to you fixing the issues i know you want to be fixed for next year.

If you dont like the game or the issues you see bug you, thats fine I'm not saying dont express your displeasure...the majority of you guys just have no idea of how difficult making a game actually is. and its a lot more difficult then just saying "blocking is broken fix it"

and to the people who are having fun with the game..try to stay away from the negative threads because all it will do is cause you to not enjoy it any more.

Thanks again Ian and co., I'm enjoying the game and looking forward to Madden '11 i hope you all stay on board.

~GSW
after reading your thread, i almost blew my brain out. dude you have to stop. you guys have to stop riding ea D I C K. you are thanking ian and the dev team for doing their job(you must be a sweet little gay dude. nothing personal). the reason why we keep on getting crappy game every year is because of you guys. you makes it seems like ea is doing us a favor by creating nfl games.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 23

Quote:

I'm with you man. No one expects perfection and I'm far from a moron. The problem here is the EA developers come on here and say they are listening to us when they really aren't. EA's main focus is to sell video games first and foremost. It's more about what their focus is. Certain things regarding this game have been put on the backburner for years dude. It's a reality because it costs them money. The customer isn't first and foremost with them. They are. Don't kid yourself. I'm not saying they aren't trying at all either. I do think they've started to come around and do put out a quality title, because if they didn't noone would buy their games anymore. EA are great marketers and salesman. They are. And yes they are trying to meet our needs but they are also looking out for themselves just as much if not moreso. If they wanted to redo certain aspects of the AI it can be done. Yes it takes time and effort and a focus on certain aspects. It's their focus that bothers me. Everyone knows we want better AI and interactions and gameplay. EA knows what we want. It hasn't happened. I'd like to know why? Other than saying it takes manpower to do these things, because EA has a lot of that. They have a ton of resources at their disposal.

The OP's post is all well and good but it's really not accurate at all. It's just a bunch of butt kissing and saying EA is a bunch of really nice people which I'm sure they are. But you are what you do ultimately man. EA hyped this game like it fixed all our complaints and it really doesn't.

yes t he game has progressed and yes I agree its hard to do all these things at once when you are trying to release a finished product every year. Yes the focused on teamplay, expanding online leagues and presentation aspects. Yes it's difficult to get all these things running seamlessly when the technology in their game is progressing at the same time. That i agree with. But why say they are doing these things when they haven't. Why release a game every year if it causes this cycle? I know they have a plan and will get there ultimately, and it takes revenue to be able to do these things, but the reality is they are milking the customer to do it.

Last edited by kGinGreen; 08-18-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 10

10 Yard Fight was the Sh*t..

My point was the older guys on here have been through alot of football games from 10YF to Tecmo and then to Madden and I guess I'm old now but playing Madden is perfect for me, but I guess if your a spoiled brat who wants everything perfect then you want MAdden to be your way too or you just make threads and post every where how bad Madden is how bad NCAA is when you guys have no idea how bad it was, but at the time we loved going from Highschool to college to the pros and then the superbowl, that was all you got in 10YF 4 games no stats and the games cost about 40 bucks Stop the _______ complaining
Old 08-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Men_in_Mass
10 Yard Fight was the Sh*t..

My point was the older guys on here have been through alot of football games from 10YF to Tecmo and then to Madden and I guess I'm old now but playing Madden is perfect for me, but I guess if your a spoiled brat who wants everything perfect then you want MAdden to be your way too or you just make threads and post every where how bad Madden is how bad NCAA is when you guys have no idea how bad it was, but at the time we loved going from Highschool to college to the pros and then the superbowl, that was all you got in 10YF 4 games no stats and the games cost about 40 bucks Stop the _______ complaining
No offense man, but get off your high horse. I'm probably just as old as you are. I've played all the football games starting with Real Sports on the Atari 2600. All of those games were great at the time though Just because other people want higher quality, don't shoot them down for it just because you don't. People here are stating their opinion in a non hostile way. No one is saying you are wrong for taking the game for what it is and enjoying it as is. For you, it is worth the 60 bucks. For others it isn't. No one is actually right or wrong. That's why it's a discussion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #32
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kGinGreen
I'm with you man. No one expects perfection and I'm far from a moron. The problem here is the EA developers come on here and say they are listening to us when they really aren't. EA's main focus is to sell video games first and foremost. It's more about what their focus is. Certain things regarding this game have been put on the backburner for years dude. It's a reality because it costs them money. The customer isn't first and foremost with them. They are. Don't kid yourself. I'm not saying they aren't trying at all either. I do think they've started to come around and do put out a quality title, because if they didn't noone would buy their games anymore. EA are great marketers and salesman. They are. And yes they are trying to meet our needs but they are also looking out for themselves just as much if not moreso. If they wanted to redo certain aspects of the AI it can be done. Yes it takes time and effort and a focus on certain aspects. It's their focus that bothers me. Everyone knows we want better AI and interactions and gameplay. EA knows what we want. It hasn't happened. I'd like to know why? Other than saying it takes manpower to do these things, because EA has a lot of that. They have a ton of resources at their disposal.

The OP's post is all well and good but it's really not accurate at all. It's just a bunch of butt kissing and saying EA is a bunch of really nice people which I'm sure they are. But you are what you do ultimately man. EA hyped this game like it fixed all our complaints and it really doesn't.

yes t he game has progressed and yes I agree its hard to do all these things at once when you are trying to release a finished product every year. Yes the focused on teamplay, expanding online leagues and presentation aspects. Yes it's difficult to get all these things running seamlessly when the technology in their game is progressing at the same time. That i agree with. But why say they are doing these things when they haven't. Why release a game every year if it causes this cycle? I know they have a plan and will get there ultimately, but the reality is they are milking the customer to do it.
If you think that was "butt kissing" you have really missed the point.

its all good though man i cant knock your opinion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »