Home

After 1 game not sure what to think...

This is a discussion on After 1 game not sure what to think... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29
After 1 game not sure what to think...

just a few random thoughts after my first game... (Default All-Pro GameSpeed Normal).

I don't really care for any of cameras which really hindered me somewhat. I settled on the default camara but didn't care for the rotation.

Response times seemed a bit off. For example it took several pushes of the left stick to get a man to go in motion. Cost me a delay of game a few times. Maybe my controller was needs to be replaced but I haven't noticed any problems in any other games as of yet.

Tackle variation was much improved. Didn't really notice Pro-Tak but that is probably a good thing because that means it looked like football.

Coverage of RBs in the flats is definitely a problem. On one play, I was in man coverage and watched as my weak side LB sat in the middle of the field while his man slipped out and stood in the flats. This makes playing man coverage a huge problem unless you control the player who is suppose to cover the RB.

Not seeing the Huge presentation upgrade people have been raving about. It was serviceable and improved from last year so I look forward to what can be done in the future.

Don't like that fact the only way to use the RB button for quick subs is only available if you call plays by formation. I was using play type and could not get it to work.

Really like the errant throws by the QB. (I was the Bucs so I saw A LOT of them).

Lighting for day games in Tampa seemed a bit dark so some TV adjustment may be necessary.

Nothing else really stood out to me after one game so a greater sample size is needed.

Cheers,
Finn
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: After 1 game not sure what to think...

I thought the same, but after I've tried some different slider sets I'm enjoying Madden for the first time in 5 years. It still has problems, but most seem fixable by patch.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
MVP

jr86's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
just a few random thoughts after my first game... (Default All-Pro GameSpeed Normal).

I don't really care for any of cameras which really hindered me somewhat. I settled on the default camara but didn't care for the rotation.

Response times seemed a bit off. For example it took several pushes of the left stick to get a man to go in motion. Cost me a delay of game a few times. Maybe my controller was needs to be replaced but I haven't noticed any problems in any other games as of yet.

Tackle variation was much improved. Didn't really notice Pro-Tak but that is probably a good thing because that means it looked like football.

Coverage of RBs in the flats is definitely a problem. On one play, I was in man coverage and watched as my weak side LB sat in the middle of the field while his man slipped out and stood in the flats. This makes playing man coverage a huge problem unless you control the player who is suppose to cover the RB.

Not seeing the Huge presentation upgrade people have been raving about. It was serviceable and improved from last year so I look forward to what can be done in the future.

Don't like that fact the only way to use the RB button for quick subs is only available if you call plays by formation. I was using play type and could not get it to work.

Really like the errant throws by the QB. (I was the Bucs so I saw A LOT of them).

Lighting for day games in Tampa seemed a bit dark so some TV adjustment may be necessary.

Nothing else really stood out to me after one game so a greater sample size is needed.

Cheers,
Finn
Hello Finn, finally took the plunge eh...lol
I too am giving Madden a good go this yr. I have to say i am enjoying it after quite a few games but once again sliders are your friend.
Currently using Bills (wow this is like a 2k5 reunion!) and had a decent game, give them a whirl
Old 08-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 7

Let me know if you'd buy it again. I haven't bought it yet, and I am interested in your opinion.

I'm a 2k fan that would prefer to play straight All pro Football with an NFL license, but as that's not an option, a Madden decision will come soon.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41

I'm still waiting for my Madden to arrive from SI let me know guys what you think. the 2k opinions matter!

I have won like 20 Super Bowls in Madden so I am kinda a big deal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
MVP

jr86's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlstudios189
I'm still waiting for my Madden to arrive from SI let me know guys what you think. the 2k opinions matter!
Madden will always be Madden if you know what i mean, it is not the 2nd coming of 2k5 imo. There are problems with the game, mainly the flats is a huge money play even moreso than the fade in 2k5 and while the presentation is good those of you that are been big 2k5 players will not be blown away.
It is fun with the right sliders which are much needed.
Basically my advice is give it a fair shake and try not to make to many comparisons to 2k5...because for better or worse it is a different game
Old 08-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

After my second game I am starting to wish there was an acc. clock option that was CPU only. Else, I really need to study my playbook because it takes me too long to pick a play so I don't have any time to make any adjustments.

I have to say I am a little let down based on all the high review scores. I was expecting the second coming based on all the positive feedback but it just hasn't happened for me. My original hype was low but I guess all the outside hype raised mine. Maybe some more time with the game will swing me back around.

One question: Is there a way to select last man back when on defense during the play. Reason I ask is if you are playing a big back and Pro-Tak kicks in with more then 2 defenders, I would like to be able to select last man back in case the back breaks out of the tackle. Happened to me a few times last game and it wouldn't let me switch to the last man back so I could take a proper angle until it was too late. Gave up a few long runs because of this and the fact the CPU pursuit angles are almost as bad as they were in NCAA last year.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
MVP

deadlyCane's Arena

OVR: 17

Fynn, you'll get the hang of play calling as you get familiar with the play books. Those delay of game penalties will mostly be a thing of the past.

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Toronto Raptors
CFL: Toronto Argonauts
NFL: Miami Dolphins
NCAA Football: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Basketball: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Baseball: Miami Hurricanes

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »