Home

Running tips?

This is a discussion on Running tips? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
Running tips?

I'm at my wits end with the running game in Madden10. I've tried adjusting sliders, shifting the o-line pre-snap, moving blockers pre-snap, etc...and 95% of my runs range from -2 to 3 yards. I think I've broken 1 big run in approx. 15 games.

In my franchise with the Pats, my best game has been Maroney with 49 yards on 18 carries. Even when teams are in nickel or dime and aren't stacking the box, it seems like at least 2 d-linemen go right through my o-line untouched.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong, so any pointers would be much appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Running tips?

Well for me I tend to not use speed burst right away because you have more agility when you cut back. Then once I get to the open field or if I'm trying to turn the corner I open up the throttle. Also make sure the run blocking slider is all the way up because if it isn't you get some stupid ****ing lineman.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 9

my best running play is hb power o use this play and u can get some serious yardes. this play works well with fast elusive runners. but since maroney is a power running back with great stiff arm us could uses him in this play.

in this play try bounce to the outside and u will get the yardes, becausue the linebackers get caught in the middle of the field and there is space on the outside.

hope i helped.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

I think I discovered a pretty money play last night at the end of my franchise game. I broke off a 66 yd and a 19 yd TD on back to back possesions. Tried it in practice just to test it some more and I was avgeraging at least around 5 yds per carry. I'm at work right now, so I don't remember the exact name of the play. I'll look it up when I get home. I'll remember it when I see it. Hit me up on pm.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Rookie

prototype561's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComaFaction
I'm at my wits end with the running game in Madden10. I've tried adjusting sliders, shifting the o-line pre-snap, moving blockers pre-snap, etc...and 95% of my runs range from -2 to 3 yards. I think I've broken 1 big run in approx. 15 games.

In my franchise with the Pats, my best game has been Maroney with 49 yards on 18 carries. Even when teams are in nickel or dime and aren't stacking the box, it seems like at least 2 d-linemen go right through my o-line untouched.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong, so any pointers would be much appreciated.
you must be playin on all madden just like me, im in week 11 in my jags franchise and i have 850 yds. Some games i will have 30 carries for 30yds and some games i 22 carries for 92yds, kinda depends on the teams. Lay off the speed burst because it seems like the defense speeds up when u press it. But i kinda feel ya when the defense reacts so fast that as soon as u get the hand off u r getting hit, dline gets off their block so quick its kinda stupid but thats how the make the game challenging. I wish that ea would make the AI smarter when u move up the difficulty instead of making there players move like godlike creatures. But back to the point, try to set some audibles to catch the defense overloading a particular position and change the play, but a lot the times that doesnt work, but it does sometimes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 7

Thanks guys. Yeah, I"m not touching turbo. I find I'm getting hit before I can even turn the corner on power runs, and there are no holes on blasts or dives. Do you press Up on the R-stick when you hit the line?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Ive set my sliders to All Pro levels except the running game, which Ive set at Pro. Then I took the CPU run defense sliders down 10 notches each and left the rest alone. After that, I now run for about a 4.5 YPC average and about 120 yards a game. Pretty realistic. I break a few big ones, but get stuffed my fair share as well, so its challenging. The CPU (when they choose to run, which isnt enough) does about the same to me. Drew Brees set NFL single game records for completions and passing yards against me!

Now if I could only fix the pass rush. Im last in the league in sacking the CPU and first in picking them off.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

On counters, don't forget to send your TE in motion to the side of the field you're running to, giving you an extra blocker, since the LB lined across from him usually stays there.

Stretch plays are difficult, too, as defenders usually blow past your line and nail you in the backfield.

I sometimes try running where the play wasn't intended to run. So on stretch or toss plays I'll cut back to the middle instead of taking it outside, on counters I'll change direction and go the other way, same with dives. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

With the right slider adjustments, I still get good rushing totals. But I play on an easier level, since I'm not that good.

Hopefully this is addressed in a patch.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »