Home

The deep ball is too hard.

This is a discussion on The deep ball is too hard. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #65
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: The deep ball is too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
I also believe some people might be expecting QBs to bomb it deep who have no business doing so. Taking it deep with Peyton Manning? Super! Trying to launch a 50 yard pass with Pennington? Not a good call.
The problem is that if your receiver gets jammed off the line, then breaks off the jam and has a step, not even Cutler, McNabb, or Favre could lead the receiver on a "bomb".

The ball simply will lob up to where the receiver IS, and result, usually, in a pick.

It's annoying, and it happens 90% of the time. I've tested this in practice for hours.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #66
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echopax
The problem is that if your receiver gets jammed off the line, then breaks off the jam and has a step, not even Cutler, McNabb, or Favre could lead the receiver on a "bomb".

The ball simply will lob up to where the receiver IS, and result, usually, in a pick.

It's annoying, and it happens 90% of the time. I've tested this in practice for hours.
I disagree with you, in that I'm using Chris Simms, and I'm delivering deep passes to Brandon Marshall. I throw to the outside shoulder, and I have plenty of good fortune. At most, I've had the better CBs make a play to barely tip the ball away. But unless Marshall (or even Royal) is bracketed, I don't see INTs happening for me.

As I said before, I play on All-Pro with default sliders. It's a matter of timing, IMO. If you give the CB time to catch up, he will.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #67
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
I disagree with you, in that I'm using Chris Simms, and I'm delivering deep passes to Brandon Marshall. I throw to the outside shoulder, and I have plenty of good fortune. At most, I've had the better CBs make a play to barely tip the ball away. But unless Marshall (or even Royal) is bracketed, I don't see INTs happening for me.

As I said before, I play on All-Pro with default sliders. It's a matter of timing, IMO. If you give the CB time to catch up, he will.
I think his point was you should be able to throw it to a spot, not trapped in to throwing it to a WR.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #68
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I think his point was you should be able to throw it to a spot, not trapped in to throwing it to a WR.
In that case, yes, I'd love to have route-based passing. I loved having that in 2004.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #69
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

CapnKill....

I played as the Jets last night and was unsuccessful on the 3 or 4 deep balls I threw. One was thrown out of bounds, I threw one over Cotchery's head, one was knocked away, and one was dropped.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #70
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

I finally completed my first deep ball, fly route to Ted Ginn Jr for a 45 yard TD. Of course it was called back for holding but I didn't really care, at least I know it's humanly possible to do it with Pennington under center.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 08-21-2009, 06:04 PM   #71
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Magic
Well, there's your problem.

Your line of thinking just isn't true.

To complete that type of pass, even if it's one on one coverage, most NFL QB's would need the reciever to either beat their man(which rarely happens, especially on streaks and fades), get a step on their man, and put a throw 40+ yards down field not only to catch the reciever in stride, but in all likelihood, JUST outside of the CB's range to deflect the pass.

It's NOT an easy pass to make. It's one of the only "holes" in Peyton Manning's game... and that's not to say his deep ball is bad or mediocre... it just flutters and he sometimes overthrows it... LIKE EVERY NFL QB(minus maybe Tom Brady, who has one of the most accurate deep balls I've ever seen).

Drew Brees can't throw the best deep ball, Jeff Garcia literally couldn't throw one to save his life, and Chad Pennington, though extremely accurate, just doesn't have the arm strength to actually threaten a defense that deep(causing him to try and throw way harder than he can which throws his accuracy off by a ton).

It's a tough, tough throw to make and everything has to come together... the amount of time you have in the pocket, putting the ball where the wide receiver can catch it while also trying to put it in a spot where the DB can't make a play on it, etc.

Most of the time, if it's one on one coverage for me and my receiver gets a step, it's a completion.
Im sorry man but drew bree's doesn't throw a good deep ball??? You obviously havent watched many saints games because the majority of his yardage comes off of long bomb passes......
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #72
Rookie

OVR: 3

Maybe it's the custom sliders I play on but I feel as though I can hit the deep ball at a realistic rate. Maybe because I have DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin making those plays but seems when they have a step on the defender which they do a good amount I can hit them in stride with a good pass.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »