Home

Madden Sales ...slow

This is a discussion on Madden Sales ...slow within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:09 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Madden Sales ...slow

this article shows that more people are unplugging themselves out the matrix and finally see what EA is doing with there football franchise. madden 10 is not a good football game plain and simple, and its poor quality with all the morphing ghosting and so on.

this is what EA needs to stop abusing the power of the NFL license and gives us a actual NFL simulation.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:13 AM   #18
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11

Guys...from what I've been told..Madden's sales have decreased every single year since they got the license.

So, I'd say this is just continuing with that trend. Every year, the average consumer is getting tired of the same game.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:15 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintari
Guys...from what I've been told..Madden's sales have decreased every single year since they got the license.

So, I'd say this is just continuing with that trend. Every year, the average consumer is getting tired of the same game.
That makes me happy.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:23 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintari
The combined sales of the 360 and PS3 versions of Madden are less than just the PS2 version of Madden 2005 and are fairly close to the distant 2nd NFL 2K5 totals. The 360 version's sales are only a little more than the sales of the PS2 version of NFL2K5 and the PS3 version's sales are the same as 2K5 for the Xbox, the lowest selling 2005 football game.

2005 football games sold (Xbox/PS2)- about 9.5 million (3.5 million 2K5)
2009 football games sold (360/PS3) - about 4 million

EA bought the exclusive license for a ton of money and only got 2nd place 2K level sales out of it.

Last edited by Cobra84; 08-20-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:28 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 12

Precisely.

Had 2k or any other company been left to continue to make a football game, sales would be up across the board.

As it is now, paying 400 million for the exclusive rights to the NFL is one of EAs biggest financial diasters.

If you look up all the sales data, the 2k series was not taking away any of the madden sales at all. Most people bought Madden, while quite a few bought 2k. The competition was heating up and 2k blew away Madden in 05....yet, Madden still had the better sales.

Fast forward to the exclusive deal and Madden and NCAA have regressed in sales each and every year without fail.

EA and its development teams are the only ones to blame for lackluster sales.

Look at the track record so far... Madden and NCAA both included.

1) They remove features that gamers loved in previous gen titles.

= Pregame shows and player warmups on NCAA
= Corso putting on the mascots head in pre-game declaring his pick for the winner
= Team specfic entrances ( Miami's fog, Notre Dame touching the Champion sign.. )

2) They break what wasnt already broken

= Wide open gameplay = Braindead AI
= Defense doesnt react at all to what the offense is doing
= Coverages dont work
= Sideline logic? Doesnt exsist.
= Rosters? Need we say anymore?
= Player progression?
= Sliders that are confirmed to do absolutely nothing
= OL / DL play. Probably what hurts the series the most. Horrific logic used in this

3) Presentation

= Radio guy? Nothing more needs to be said. Worst commentating implemented
in modern video game history.

= NCAA has pretty much spot on the exact commentating for at least 7-8 years.

= Madden still cant get highlights and pre-post game shows right. No commentary..
replays are met with dead silence

4) Graphics and Animations

= This is the only highlight of the series. However, this is the first year that you can
really tell that there was work done on alot of animations. Good job for that.

5) Added gimmiks and features.

= Mascot games . .000001% of the community enjoys these.
= New superstar mode got revamped because it was said players didnt like it. Take
that as a hint and instead of spending your time working on a mode no one likes...
fix the core game.
= New over the shouldar catches!!! Play 02 and tell me they werent there 8 years
ago!

These are just a few of the issues plauging the series and reducing its sales. Much more so than all the people screaming " Teh Economyz"

The solution...

Give up exclusive rights to the NFL, NCAA, Arena, CFL, Div 2, Div3, Div 9, High School, Junior Varsity, Pee Wee, Wee wee, Peanut, and Micro football leagues....save yourself another 400 million....allow competition...bring back the rivalries and competition of making a better football game and a better game will be the result.

End Results.

EA wins by making a better game and increasing its sales and bottom line.
2k/ ( Insert any other company) Wins by employing people to make a game to compete and thus increase its sales and profitability.

And finally, the darn consumer wins because we now have a competent product on the shelves and most likely will buy all 3 football games because competition will make them so much better that they will ALL be worth buying.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2009, 12:30 AM   #22
Pro

OVR: 16

Interesting...but they never factored in how many people purchased from third parties...such as newegg, tigerdirect, ebay, even half.com and so on. I bet they got HUGE sales either a) to get the game early b) avoid sales tax c) cheaper all around price. I know I bought mine from newegg with free shipping tax free and a $5 disount (54.99) i save around $10. There's my recession proofing.
#1 Rule of Sliders: Realism is Relative
Old 08-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
And finally, the darn consumer wins because we now have a competent product on the shelves and most likely will buy all 3 football games because competition will make them so much better that they will ALL be worth buying.
I couldn't agree more... The fact is, all factors mentioned here are affecting their sales. Madden hasn't lived up to the hype and has been a colossal disappointment for the last 4 years on NG. The economy sucks and it's taking its toll. Bring back competition!
Old 08-20-2009, 12:36 AM   #24
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
It's also worth pointing out that this could also be a sign that football fans are fatigued after buying the same $60 game for years on end. We'll find out at the end of what's shaping up to be an unusual holiday season for video games.
I just think that that quote wont do anything to help Madden's case. I am sure Ian isn't happy to read those words either.

This year is more than just a roster update and online franchise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »