Home

What position do you initially control on D?

This is a discussion on What position do you initially control on D? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:34 PM   #25
MVP

Darkleaf's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: What position do you initially control on D?

Weakest of the two DE's or the MLB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2009, 11:36 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 9

I usually control a DE before the ball is snapped unless I'm in a cover zone where I have a great MLB. After the ball is snapped, I usually control the player closest to the ball.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:40 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 6

FS or SS only, and here's why

-If the play is a run I can immediately shoot down to the line of scrimmage and aid in run support. This is particularly effective against sweeps, as the safety is often able to blow up the play for no gain or a loss

-I can see the whole field when my opponent drops back to pass. I can see which DB has their man under control, and which DB is about to get beat, and react accordingly.

-The only downside to this is that I find myself getting fooled by the play-action pass. If it really gets me I blaze toward the LOS only to see the QB go up top for the streaking WR. If I don't bite, I usually freeze for just a second, and that can hurt as well. However, it's definitely worth it if you get good at user picks.

Occasionally I'll play as the MLB, I never play as a d-lineman unless my opponent or the CPU snaps the ball before I can get to my safety.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:00 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 3

I try to switch it up. I use the LB if he is in covering the flats or in man covering the RB. I tried using the safeties but ended up getting burned too many times, so I rather control the CB when i'm in man coverage and just focus on his man.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:01 AM   #29
Rookie

Mayo32's Arena

OVR: 10

depending on the play i use the left DE LOLB or SS and once the ball is thrown i switch to the nearest guy as well considering the cpu doesnt seem to cover zone or man at all. it feels like i do more of the work on defence and the cpu hurts way more than it helps safetys might as well be taking naps there never where they gotta be

Nomar and the A's Shut Out the Red Sox 6-0 7/6/09

Brett Anderson With the Win

Smoltz Loses... Again
Old 09-01-2009, 01:11 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 0

MLB because I like controlling the middle of the field from sideline to sideline and I have the stick skills to do it. It can get tough on runs when you have the center or guard mauling you.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:02 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 0

It was DE/DT in this years version early on. Now it's mainly MLB, esp on running downs. I'll blitz my beastly rookie OLB sometimes. Just adjust his assignment leave a man open and blitz him off the edge. Have gotten to the QB a few times with him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2009, 02:41 AM   #32
Pro

Jump's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebby
I've tried playing FS or SS but evidently I really suck at those positions so I rarely try anymore unless it's a hail mary or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgame06
I wish i could play as the FS or SS. Whenever i play against somebody who uses them, they are amazing at it. they are everywhere i want to throw. If i play against somebody who plays like this, im gonna lose 4 out of 5 times cuz i end up throwing pick after pick after pick right into his hands. i dunno how they do it and how i choke so hard. just wish i could do it...
I used to be terrible with the safety, but I just kept using one, and eventually I became better. Just keep playing with a safety, it is totally worth it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »