Home

madden on ps2 > madden next gen

This is a discussion on madden on ps2 > madden next gen within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #49
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: madden on ps2 > madden next gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
It really does play nice, but graphics are very jaggie. I really do think the game would look alot better with a PS2 with component cables, rather than on a PS3 with HDMI.
hmm.. that's an intersting thought. I'm rolling with Madden 10 (PS2 version) on a backward compatible PS3 w/component cables. I haven't actually seen it played on a PS2. I wonder if it would be any different? I would buy anoter PS2 /w component if it did just for this game.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #50
Rookie

murdamann10's Arena

OVR: 6

I play my madden 10 for ps2 with component cables(the red, white, and yellow), and it looks fine to me, i dont notice any jaggies or anything. i think it is a HD problem with ps2.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 24

Maybe a backward compatible PS3 on a STANDARD televison would look better....don't forget, the PS2 was made before HDTV's, if I recall.

For me, it'd be too much trouble to:

a)Disconnect my PS3 and move it to a spare bedroom where a standard def tv is.

b)buy component cables. (All I use is the HDMI)

c) hook everything back up, and reset the PS3 resolution.

Just to play one game. And no, I'm not buying another PS2 for one game.

But for anyone else, this would probably make the game look alot better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #52
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

Here is why I like playing the PS2 version over next gen. I just uploaded a video of the Niners (me) vs Rams (CPU). This video highlights the excellent PS2 blocking AI and it shows separate close-ups of every blocker on the field. Take a good look especially at both offensive tackles, and the blocking from the right tackle in particular is filthy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDtyQBvYdU0

Were the gameplay sliders adjusted to achieve such good blocking? Yes, after running some tests the CPU was running for around 2.6 yards per carry. In this video I had the run ability and run block sliders bumped up 2-3 notches to get them running to 4 yards per carry. The run block sliders were not even close to being maxed! Since then I've found a slider set which has run block at default and the CPU running game is fine.

Are you going to see blocking like this in next gen? No

Is the blocking on display in the video THAT good in every play? No, otherwise every play would be a big gainer. However, the PS2 blocking is consistently good - WAY more consistent than next gen.

Am I trying to start arguments on which is better? No, I'm just saying there are ALTERNATIVES for anyone who's frustrated with next gen gameplay.

Why isn't blocking this good in next gen? Can't help you there. They have the code from the PS2 sitting right there in front of them. I realize they can't just copy/paste it in the next gen versions but c'mon the blocking has been horrid and there's no reason it should be that way. The PS2 is proof it can be done.

Last edited by swaldo; 08-24-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #53
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEBRONSTOPPER24
nfl 2k5> over madden period
Not if you want a working Franchise mode. Or players that feel different. Or teams that play like they do in real life. Or real accesories. Or.....meh, why bother, just be in denial dude. I still have 2k but it sucks compared to Madden 10.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:48 PM   #54
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

In the real NFL not all linemen block well on every play. In fact many are bad consistently. Watch the Jets game tonight or any random game and you'll see bad blocking each series.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #55
MVP

swaldo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan21
Not if you want a working Franchise mode. Or players that feel different. Or teams that play like they do in real life. Or real accesories. Or.....meh, why bother, just be in denial dude. I still have 2k but it sucks compared to Madden 10.
I'll take gameplay over franchise, more ratings and accesories. The ratings have also been spread out in the PS2 version which helps the "All good players play the same" effect in last gen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #56
MVP

swaldo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan21
In the real NFL not all linemen block well on every play. In fact many are bad consistently. Watch the Jets game tonight or any random game and you'll see bad blocking each series.
If you read my post you'd see that I stated the blocking is not that good on every play. My point is that in the PS2 version the players have the friggin' ability to block! Rushes for negative yards are perfect (around 11%), there are some no gainers, small gainers, medium gainers and the occasional long gain - just like the NFL. And if you want a super baddass offensive line you can have that too by moving up the sliders.

Last edited by swaldo; 08-24-2009 at 07:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »