Home

1st Week Madden Sales

This is a discussion on 1st Week Madden Sales within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #49
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: 1st Week Madden Sales

if madden sales continue to decline and EA cut back on resources, then continue to give us mediocre games. What u think is going to happen in 2013? They will continue to loss profit and eventually won't be able to pay the 80 million a year price tag. The NFL is about money, and if there carrier isn't profit them, what u think is going to happen. They only have till 2013 to change face. EA keep up the trend, we might have 2k or sony in the front row with there dollars out.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 13

EA understands how important the Madden license is; it is not going to cripple its Madden development studio.

If anything, dipping sales will lead EA to make a bigger investment in the short -term to improve product quality and make it a "must buy".

Some of the arguments in here don't make a lot of sense to me.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
Yes, sales are down - but not as much as they would be if there was an NFL 2K10, etc. If 3 million people plan to buy a professional football game, all 3 million will have to buy Madden. The lack of exclusivity will not increase Madden's sales - only decrease it.
The flaw in this logic is that it fails to account for those of us who would buy more than 1 quality NFL title. There were years when I used to buy Madden, 2k and NFL Fever (just as I had bought Madden, QB Club, NFL Gameday, back on the earlier consoles).

This year, I'm almost positive that I'll buy both NHL 10 and NHL2k10. I can't be the only one who will buy more than 1 title when it comes to buying sports games.

So yes, the NFL is taking money out of its own pocket by limiting our choice to one game. Unless EA is paying them so much in exclusive license fees to make up for it, in which case, EA is the only LOSER.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #52
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Have they? Do you have the numbers to support this? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I thought that only been true for the last couple. In fact, I recall either 06 or 07 being touted as a banner year. I could very well be wrong though.

I dunno, as I've never really tracked them (just read about them on sites such as this). Doesn't really matter in the scheme of things I suppose...just curious.
You'll have to trust me on this for now, SoxFan. I've dug up the numbers from vgchartz in the past and will try to find one of my old posts with the link. I believe the touting you are referring to was when the 360 numbers went up from year 1 to year 2, but overall, when you factored in the HUGE drop off in PS2 sales from the year before, the total numbers were actually down. EA just used careful wording in its press release, but even their marketing deptartment & Peter Moore won't be able to come up with a spin for this year's numbers if the trend continues past weeks 1 and 2.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #53
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Let's see if sales increase for NHL 10 and FIFA 10 this year from last year. If it does, then it's not the recession playing a part in the sales of Madden. I'd like to see both NBA games sales totals as well.
I posted some data above regarding The Show and how sales have increased in this recession. It looks like the cream rises.

Here is my theory: EA will drop the exclusive NCAA license. They will focus on Madden after next year. They may still make an NCAA game, but not exclusive. It doesn't appear to be selling well at all.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #54
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
The flaw in this logic is that it fails to account for those of us who would buy more than 1 quality NFL title. There were years when I used to buy Madden, 2k and NFL Fever (just as I had bought Madden, QB Club, NFL Gameday, back on the earlier consoles).

This year, I'm almost positive that I'll buy both NHL 10 and NHL2k10. I can't be the only one who will buy more than 1 title when it comes to buying sports games.

So yes, the NFL is taking money out of its own pocket by limiting our choice to one game. Unless EA is paying them so much in exclusive license fees to make up for it, in which case, EA is the only LOSER.
EA is the only loser in this scenario. The amount of money paid for the NFL License is more than enough for the NFL to not care about added profits on individual sales of Football games created by someone other than EA. That is why they wanted this license to begin with.

EA was gambling that it would work out for them as well. but that has not been the case as far as sales go strictly speaking.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #55
MVP

OVR: 13

Madden '09 sold 1.6m copies August of last year on the XBOX 360 and PS3.

Right now, with another shopping weekend (and two system price drops spurring purchases) it has sold 1.2 million. The 360/PS3 versions were the best-selling games the week of their release (15th); PS2 and Wii versions came in 4th and 5th respectively. The 360 and PS3 versions are the number 2 and 3 for the second week (22nd).

Madden 10 is the best selling game of the month (by far). Sure, sales are down. But EA isn't tying a noose here, folks. It's still making a lot of money.

Last edited by brendanrfoley; 08-28-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #56
Banned

OVR: 10

I believe EA will give the NCAÀ license up in 2010. I think we would of heard something about it by now. They will concentrate on madden and hope to keep that title from going under.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »