Home

Speed Threshold Talk!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Speed Threshold Talk!!!!!!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #17
All Star

OVR: 33
Re: Speed Threshold Talk!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
No, he did not. You can not simply use a proportion to figure out split times. The rate of speed doesn't stay constant throughout the race, it starts out at ZERO, accelerates until about 30-40 meters and then starts to DECELERATE at about 65-75 meters. A 3.82 40 yards equals about an 8 sec 110 yards.
Well. He ran his first 40 yards in 3.82 seconds. Because thats what it is. They measured it....

So his first forty would take 3.82, and his final forty about 2.8. And his middle 30 take about <3 seconds.

Stats are stats. WHat are you arguing about.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 3

I tested this out yesterday and 0 threshold is completely not true to real life. I was literally running circles around teams with DeSean Jackson. 0 is unrealistic, I need to test it out more to find a threshold that seems more realistic.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #19
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

so 0 = more separation?...i thought it was the other way around....100=greater separation
Old 08-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

op i watched ur vid and i didnt see alot of randy moss running away from people i saw him just going up and getting it
Old 08-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #21
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Well. He ran his first 40 yards in 3.82 seconds. Because thats what it is. They measured it....

So his first forty would take 3.82, and his final forty about 2.8. And his middle 30 take about <3 seconds.

Stats are stats. WHat are you arguing about.
I think whatever you saw must have been misleading. A proportion was set up, they cross-multiplied and divided to get that number. I have had the opportunity to coach an NCAA champion and I can telll you that a sub 4 sec 40 yard dash would relate to a sub 8.5 sec 100, that's just the way it is.

Quite a few years ago, a complex study was done to try to see what Ben Johnson's 40 yard split was when he was stripped of the world record. Through video and computer analysis, it was determined that his 40 yard split was somewhere around 4.6.

You have to remember that in sprints, the runner must react to the gun, that's when the timer starts and the average reaction time for sprinters is around .15 sec. That runs off before they even get out of the blocks.

At the NFL combine, the "official timer" reacts to the runner, which in reality SUBSTRACTS time by about .2 seconds or so. So, a combine 40 of 4.35 is really about 4.55 if the time starts on the runner's "go" and about 4.7 if the runner had to react to a gun. Deion Sander's proported 4.19 hand time to hand time 40 would be similar in time to Ben Johnson's analyzed split of 4.6.

Also, look back at what you said; do you really believe that Bolt's last 40 was FASTER than his middle 30 split?

Last edited by shttymcgee; 08-23-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #22
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

in the game, speed Wr are cheated by the " cheesy Db back peddle" the Wr is trying to jet down field and the Db is running back wards and still keeping up for 10 + yds, and then they turn and accelerate on a dime, thats the problem....

if you notice in the vid after moss got by the Db he had to turn and lost another step in trying to catch up...

we complained about the deep ball being easy and the "Db back peddle" is EA answer to counter the deep pass....

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 08-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
No, he did not. You can not simply use a proportion to figure out split times. The rate of speed doesn't stay constant throughout the race, it starts out at ZERO, accelerates until about 30-40 meters and then starts to DECELERATE at about 65-75 meters. A 3.82 40 yards equals about an 8 sec 110 yards.
Thank you, I always try to tell people that world class sprinters can't break 4 seconds in the 40 yard dash. I would love Bolt, Gay or Powell run a 40 yard dash the way players do at their pro day or combine and see them fail to break 4.2 just so I can tell people, I told you so .

Hell, some of them my not even break 4.3. After former world record holder Justin Gatlin was banned from track and field competition, he worked out for teams in the NFL ; his 40 time was a 4.4.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #24
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacho
Thank you, I always try to tell people that world class sprinters can't break 4 seconds in the 40 yard dash. I would love Bolt, Gay or Powell run a 40 yard dash the way players do at their pro day or combine and see them fail to break 4.2 just so I can tell people, I told you so .

Hell, some of them my not even break 4.3. After former world record holder Justin Gatlin was banned from track and field competition, he worked out for teams in the NFL ; his 40 time was a 4.4.
True, the 40 yd dash is a measure of acceleration, not top speed. The 100 is about top speed and staying there as long as possible. Track athletes are not as strong and do not generate as much ground force, thus making their 40 times similar to football players and in some cases slower. Football players are heavier than sprinters and even though they get to top speed quicker, they can't maintain it as long and often their top speed is slower than sprinters.

The biggest difference, however, is change of direction. Football players are much more well-rounded athletes than sprinters. Many people would be suprised at how clumsy track athletes are when it comes to not running in a straight line.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »