Home

Speed Threshold Talk!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Speed Threshold Talk!!!!!!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #41
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Speed Threshold Talk!!!!!!!!

Very slow and 0 FTW
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #42
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
Very slow and 0 FTW
Yeah, when I play that's the settings I use. Everything else seems to throw things too much out of wack.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #43
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsuperfly66
For years, one of the most abused things in Madden has been the ability to throw to the SLOT receiver. The guy could be 70 overall, but if he has 98 speed compared to the linebacker with 80 speed, all you ever see is an opponent who throws crossing routes at you all day. Because of that, it takes away emphasis from your one and two receiver who are much more talented because they have more speed matched up against them, and this year is no exception. These guys still rarely drop passes even with a backer right on his back shoulder.
That's the college offense.

The Texas Longhorns lived on that all season long last year. They put Jordan Shipley in the slot and ran him across the middle... and it was impossible to stop for other teams.

The Patriots did practically the same thing in 2007 with Wes Welker who ended up with 112 catches and 1100+ yards.

The reason this type of offense is tough to be successful with in the NFL is because the LBs are extremely smart.

Unfortunately, it is hard to simulate that intelligence into a football video game, so that offense is still successful on NFL video games, just like it is on NCAA football games.

The best way they could possibly fix it is to make the slot WRs drop a lot of passes... and while I certainly think they should do that at least a little bit, if they do it too much it will get extremely frustrating and people will start complaining.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #44
Rookie

WhiteMan22's Arena

OVR: 5

I play on very slow speed and 85 threshold is working fine with me.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #45
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

The set up should be:

very slow- 0
slow- 25
normal- 50
fast- 75
very fast- 100
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #46
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsuperfly66
Im jumping in a little late but I'm gonna throw in my two cents.

For years, one of the most abused things in Madden has been the ability to throw to the SLOT receiver. The guy could be 70 overall, but if he has 98 speed compared to the linebacker with 80 speed, all you ever see is an opponent who throws crossing routes at you all day. Because of that, it takes away emphasis from your one and two receiver who are much more talented because they have more speed matched up against them, and this year is no exception. These guys still rarely drop passes even with a backer right on his back shoulder.

With that said, I feel speed should be a small factor in this game. Its too easy to abuse especially with the stretch ratings. I feel like running with the Tennessee Titans is probably one of the cheesiest things in the game. I mean I'm not gonna make a big deal about it, but its toss play, toss play, counter play, play action pass, screen pass, etc. Chris Johnson is just so fast that all you have to do is stretch the play outside and he is going to outrun the other players and get out of bounds after 5-8 yards almost every times. Sure this is stopped on occasion, but his speed in all facets of the game are very difficult to stop when you are facing an opponent who knows football.

Maybe next year they should re-look at speed in this game and maybe close the ratings back in a little bit.
Couldn't agree more. It's at the point where it doesn't matter who I'm playing with as long as they have atleast one fast receiver. The outside receivers cannot get separation. And the LB's playing in zone are so dumb. They stand in one spot and only make a play if the ball is thrown right at them. And in man the defender running the route in front of the receiver is getting old. That looks so stupid.

Im a run first guy. About 60/40 in favor of the run. And my RB always has the most receptions followed by my slot receiver and TE. My #1 or #2 MAYBE get one or two catches on a good day.

Something needs to be done to allow separation.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #47
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacho
Thank you, I always try to tell people that world class sprinters can't break 4 seconds in the 40 yard dash. I would love Bolt, Gay or Powell run a 40 yard dash the way players do at their pro day or combine and see them fail to break 4.2 just so I can tell people, I told you so .

Hell, some of them my not even break 4.3. After former world record holder Justin Gatlin was banned from track and field competition, he worked out for teams in the NFL ; his 40 time was a 4.4.
You say this like Gatlin is close to Usain Bolt. Bolt doesn't even run the whole way, he starts jogging at the end of his runs and still breaks the world record. He's an absolute freak. Justin Gatlin was the normal great track and field guy. Bolt is a completely different breed. He doesn't even look the same when he runs, and he destroys the competition as a result.

I don't see how this can even be argued when they timed the guy's first 40 yards and it came out to 3.82 seconds. They didn't take his time and divide to find what it would be for 40 yards, they actually measured it.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 08-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #48
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy
Couldn't agree more. It's at the point where it doesn't matter who I'm playing with as long as they have atleast one fast receiver. The outside receivers cannot get separation. And the LB's playing in zone are so dumb. They stand in one spot and only make a play if the ball is thrown right at them.

Something needs to be done to allow separation.
Agreed my friend. Top receivers make a lot of plays in this game because they can catch almost anything thrown their way. However, I've played with the Steelers online for about 4 years now, and every year its the same thing. Hines Ward a great receiver, but hes not necessarily a speed freak. Therefore, unless he beats the zone, hes usually swallowed up in Madden. But when you see a guy like Percy Harvin (MIN) line up in the slot, its like a users dream when you see the defense is in man. Linebacker steps up on his, Harvin runs a drag route, and near the far hash he has a 5-6 step advantage. He catches pass and turns up field and isnt hit for another 10 yards.

In real life if you saw this happen, the linebacker would start to jump routes. The guy may even be doubled teamed. However, I have found no way in defensive audibles to add a double team, because this would a great addition to the game. Instead of running around like a moron and spying certain players, just set up a double team and let the computer try to do something.

Until that point, Madden players will continue to abuse the mediocre but quick slot receiver.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »