Home

Defending the Pass

This is a discussion on Defending the Pass within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Defending the Pass

I've had a really hard time calling the right plays to stop the pass. Against players AND against the CPU it seems like I've tried everything but I just get shelled by my opponents QB.

For instance online today my opponent was the vikings, not exactly a passing juggernaut, but he went like 17/20 with Favre for 2 TD's and no picks.

I've tried Man, Cover 2, Cover 3, Zone Blitzes, Blitzes...EVERYTHING!!!

The problem isn't necessarily getting pressure...I can do that fine with a decent DE or a blitz. It's just that my coverages seem to be terrible. When I play zone, my DB's/Linebackers aren't in the right positions and even with a decent team like the Redskins, my man coverage gets beat easily by like a Slant or a Drag.

I would appreciate some advice please.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Defending the Pass

I run a man usually, but I control the safety and use him to try to prevent open passes across the middle of the field.

Occasionally on long passing downs I'll run the cover 2 / cover 3 zone because they will usually pass into the flats or for 5 yards on a comeback route and you can stop them short of the 1st down line.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsuperfly66
I run a man usually, but I control the safety and use him to try to prevent open passes across the middle of the field.

Occasionally on long passing downs I'll run the cover 2 / cover 3 zone because they will usually pass into the flats or for 5 yards on a comeback route and you can stop them short of the 1st down line.

Hmm...is there a way to be effective without usering a guy in coverage though? It seems like its hard to manually deflect passes in this game.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 8

Against the cpu I run a cover 2 man scheme 90% of the time. I would love to blitz more but I find that most of the time the cpu OL magically picks up my blitz no matter how many guys I send.

Cover 2 zone or other zone formations usually are great for me IF I get pressure. If not then it is like real life with the Colts where I'll be passed on all day. Sadly of course in the game the pressure is a bit of a mixed bag so these are risky to do vs the cpu.

I do not play against other people because my opinion is that sports games just have too many AI issues and that is what people will just exploit against each other and to me that is no fun. A full user 11-11 mode would be pretty rad since it would actually be determined by what each person is doing.

Against the CPU I'd suggest you tweak the sliders if you aren't using one of the better sets that have been posted. Chances are your playcalls are fine but the game's AI feels you should not be allowed to stop any pass plays. Naturally of course when online you do not get to change sliders and you are just dealing with this AI issue.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 18

i run a corner blitz and then the next play audible to a cover 2. i usually can get at least 2 picks a game on line
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 21

GET PRESSURE!!!! by sending the least amount of guys you can to get to the QB. even if thats six
******** src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript">******** src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript">
Old 08-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo
Against the cpu I run a cover 2 man scheme 90% of the time. I would love to blitz more but I find that most of the time the cpu OL magically picks up my blitz no matter how many guys I send.

Cover 2 zone or other zone formations usually are great for me IF I get pressure. If not then it is like real life with the Colts where I'll be passed on all day. Sadly of course in the game the pressure is a bit of a mixed bag so these are risky to do vs the cpu.

I do not play against other people because my opinion is that sports games just have too many AI issues and that is what people will just exploit against each other and to me that is no fun. A full user 11-11 mode would be pretty rad since it would actually be determined by what each person is doing.

Against the CPU I'd suggest you tweak the sliders if you aren't using one of the better sets that have been posted. Chances are your playcalls are fine but the game's AI feels you should not be allowed to stop any pass plays. Naturally of course when online you do not get to change sliders and you are just dealing with this AI issue.
Yeah I really want to avoid messing with sliders because I feel like I don't want to alter the game out of its natural state....you know what I mean?

Maybe a Cover 2 Man scheme is what would work...I don't know about running it 90% of the time though, lol.

BTW yes a full 11 vs. 11 mode would be awesome, the problem is that a lot of players wouldn't want to be lineman and everyone would want certain positions . Perhaps it should cycle players so people get to play a different position each time, and then it tracks your stats for each position u have played...so there's your CB stats and your MLB stats. But that's a diff topic, heh.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfreaklgg
Yeah I really want to avoid messing with sliders because I feel like I don't want to alter the game out of its natural state....you know what I mean?

Maybe a Cover 2 Man scheme is what would work...I don't know about running it 90% of the time though, lol.

BTW yes a full 11 vs. 11 mode would be awesome, the problem is that a lot of players wouldn't want to be lineman and everyone would want certain positions . Perhaps it should cycle players so people get to play a different position each time, and then it tracks your stats for each position u have played...so there's your CB stats and your MLB stats. But that's a diff topic, heh.

they could just exit the screen if their position isn't available. i'd be kicker lol. that wouldn't be bad if you could be another position too.

EDIT: wait no, punter
******** src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript">******** src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript">******** src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript">******** src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript">

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »