Home

too many points???? and too easy

This is a discussion on too many points???? and too easy within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: how many of you have this same issue?
I do have this issue. 44 61.11%
I have this issue sometimes. 18 25.00%
I never have this issue. 10 13.89%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #49
MVP

King Gro23's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: too many points???? and too easy

I think I might be the only one who is not experiencing pick six's. For myself or the CPU. I have had probably 7-10 in over 40 + games Played. The CPU has only had 1. Vs my Browns in Weeks 2, Damn Champ Bailey

Suscribe on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/GleezyBaby43
Gleezybaby43
Old 08-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #50
In Dalton I Trust

Buckeyes_Doc's Arena

OVR: 32

Sliders man i love sliders
Old 08-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #51
Rookie

rockbottom3's Arena

OVR: 6

I think the game is still a video game guys. That being said most people (even Sim style people) Would not enjoy a game that has drives of 15-20 with out scoring. they would probably complain the CPU is cheating or to tough. I thnik the thing you have to look at in stats is not the number of plays but the yards per game and try to find a min per qtr that reflects that.
I also think the longer you get from the default Qtr length the game gets easier due to a human having better playcalling ability. Meaning on 3rd and long you wont dump it to the flat you would rather risk a pass closer to the first down marker. The cpu will dump it to the flat thinking it will get the easy completion than try to get the first down. Thus you get more plays than the CPU and usually the lead than the CPU goes into a passing only game and well you than coast to the victory. I used to make sliders than realized I was playing with the sliders more than the game. Than I realized I was getting worried about the number of plays and kept tweaking them. Now I play 5-6 min no acc or 10 min w/acc clock. Yards per game are fine and the games are competitive.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 2

i sometimes (although it is lame) have to run out of bounds if I notice an offensive player not tackling a potential pick 6. if it is a legit pick 6 i go for it, but i hate winning on cheese. if it wouldn't be a legit td in the nfl, it shouldn't be in madden. i know it sucks to have to do it, but if it is something ridiculous, i just run out of bounds after i notice a glitch on pursuit and take over on offense from there.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:35 PM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbottom3
I think the game is still a video game guys. That being said most people (even Sim style people) Would not enjoy a game that has drives of 15-20 with out scoring. they would probably complain the CPU is cheating or to tough. I thnik the thing you have to look at in stats is not the number of plays but the yards per game and try to find a min per qtr that reflects that.
I also think the longer you get from the default Qtr length the game gets easier due to a human having better playcalling ability. Meaning on 3rd and long you wont dump it to the flat you would rather risk a pass closer to the first down marker. The cpu will dump it to the flat thinking it will get the easy completion than try to get the first down. Thus you get more plays than the CPU and usually the lead than the CPU goes into a passing only game and well you than coast to the victory. I used to make sliders than realized I was playing with the sliders more than the game. Than I realized I was getting worried about the number of plays and kept tweaking them. Now I play 5-6 min no acc or 10 min w/acc clock. Yards per game are fine and the games are competitive.
The purpose of this videogame though, is to ACCURATELY simulate an NFL experience. Shortening the game length is at best an artificial way of getting the right scores. There are still going to be stats that are off (ie. yards per attempt/yards per rush) even if you shorten the game length/number of plays just to get the right score. The plays (not # of plays, the actual plays) themselves aren't realistic if you are playing 5 - 6 min quarters and getting realistic scores/yards.

And FYI most drives in the NFL are not 15 - 20 plays.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:28 PM   #54
Rookie

rockbottom3's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfreaklgg
The purpose of this videogame though, is to ACCURATELY simulate an NFL experience. Shortening the game length is at best an artificial way of getting the right scores. There are still going to be stats that are off (ie. yards per attempt/yards per rush) even if you shorten the game length/number of plays just to get the right score. The plays (not # of plays, the actual plays) themselves aren't realistic if you are playing 5 - 6 min quarters and getting realistic scores/yards.

And FYI most drives in the NFL are not 15 - 20 plays.
it does do this in most cases it emulates football fine. The only way to make the game a perfect representation of football IMO would be to have only one skill level, 15 min qtrs, a handicap to throwing so you have to check down and can only see your receiver by hitting a 2 button press sequence. First person camera for all plays. Oh and if you get fired in your franchise you have to re-buy the game to play it again. NOW THAT would be realistic...fun??
I realize drives in the NFL avg. about 8 my question was how many people would complain if they DID have a long drive with no score.
The main question in this thread was getting the realistic amount of plays making the game easier and were there to many points being scored. My basic answer was yes. To make a game fun there are things that might get sacrificed to SIMULATE (not a perfect representation) a game of football. By the way there is no way to perfectly simulate the real NFL period. Otherwise someone would have seen a trade like Cutler to the Bears for Orton..oh wait if they saw that last year it would have been a 500 post thread about how dumb the programmers are my bad.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:07 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbottom3
it does do this in most cases it emulates football fine. The only way to make the game a perfect representation of football IMO would be to have only one skill level, 15 min qtrs, a handicap to throwing so you have to check down and can only see your receiver by hitting a 2 button press sequence. First person camera for all plays. Oh and if you get fired in your franchise you have to re-buy the game to play it again. NOW THAT would be realistic...fun??
I realize drives in the NFL avg. about 8 my question was how many people would complain if they DID have a long drive with no score.
The main question in this thread was getting the realistic amount of plays making the game easier and were there to many points being scored. My basic answer was yes. To make a game fun there are things that might get sacrificed to SIMULATE (not a perfect representation) a game of football. By the way there is no way to perfectly simulate the real NFL period. Otherwise someone would have seen a trade like Cutler to the Bears for Orton..oh wait if they saw that last year it would have been a 500 post thread about how dumb the programmers are my bad.
Nobody's asking for perfection. You're just exaggerating my argument for the sake of having a legitimate one yourself.

All I (and others) really want are a realistic number of plays and a realistic scores to accompany those plays. What exactly needs to be "sacrificed" there? Is that too much to ask from a videogame whose tagline is, "If you see it in the NFL, you see it in Madden?"

Also, it's not like I don't have fun playing Madden. Just because I think something should be improved doesn't mean I hate it.

I don't know why the f*ck you start veering off into this whirlwind of first person camera angles, two-button checkdowns...etc, I'm just glad your not an EA Dev, lol. I know your point is that "Nothing will be 100% realistic," which is an incredibly dull and obvious point. The fact of the matter is, EA has obtained realistic stats from their previous Madden games before, so it's not like we are asking EA to design a masterpiece here.

And to answer your question, "How many people would complain if they had a really long drive and no score?" Depends how you define long drive, but why is it relevant? What's relevant is that they wouldn't have a valid point even if they did complain, because they bought an NFL game and long drives w/ no score happen in the NFL.

There is no "tradeoff" between realism and fun in this situation. I can understand the realism vs. fun argument in respect to something like "penalties" which would be very annoying if they happened as frequently in Madden as they did in the NFL (for the bulk of Madden players, I would wager.)
Realistic plays and scoring is both fun and (obviously) realistic. When there isn't realistic scoring, people get annoyed, hence threads like this exist.

Last edited by sportsfreaklgg; 08-31-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2009, 07:24 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 2

The biggest problem with the scores is the pick sixes. Watch what the offense does after a pick six. Instead of everyone taking the quickest path to the defender, they take some REALLY weird routes. They usually take a terrible path with no chance of getting the defender. Try Zero Sliders in the slider forum, though. With a few tweaks, you can get some very realistic results. I am struggling at .500 through six weeks as the Lions. I've had a GW field goal, been blown out and blown a team out. Certainly, the Lions might even be worse than that, but it's definitely a move in the right direction.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »