Home

EA when will we learn...

This is a discussion on EA when will we learn... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2009, 12:57 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: EA when will we learn...

Also, the problem with zone blitzing in Madden is to bring significant pressure, you probably bring 5-6 people, therefore exposing your flats.

The noticeable problem in this game is a large reason for the troubles with these players is poor logic by the game.

See http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-reciever.html

The problem with that logic is that Id much rather shut down an explosive running back then a slot receiver. Guess I gotta pick my poison better
Old 08-24-2009, 01:22 AM   #10
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsuperfly66
And based on good football sense, after mixing up between 3-4, nickle, and quarter defense and continually getting sliced and diced, can you explain to me the effectiveness of Antonio Cromartie in my opponents passing game??
He played both sides of the ball at FSU. Second when any skill player going against a LB in open space advantage goes to the skill player. Good football sense!

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 08-24-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:25 AM   #11
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Also, the problem with zone blitzing in Madden is to bring significant pressure, you probably bring 5-6 people, therefore exposing your flats.

The noticeable problem in this game is a large reason for the troubles with these players is poor logic by the game.

See http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-reciever.html

The problem with that logic is that Id much rather shut down an explosive running back then a slot receiver. Guess I gotta pick my poison better
In football there will always be open areas(excluding teams that are just superior to another).

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2009, 01:32 AM   #12
Pro

My only response to that would just judge by avg receptions per player in online games...

When I play,
running backs probably collectively get 6-9 receptions per game.
#3 receiver gets about 5-7
Tight end gets about 4-6
#1 Receiver gets about 1-3
#2 Receiver gets about 0-2
Old 08-24-2009, 01:42 AM   #13
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
My only response to that would just judge by avg receptions per player in online games...

When I play,
running backs probably collectively get 6-9 receptions per game.
#3 receiver gets about 5-7
Tight end gets about 4-6
#1 Receiver gets about 1-3
#2 Receiver gets about 0-2
Your #1 and 2 WR are facing the defense best cover guys. Your TE's and slot guys are facing bad and/or lesser guys.(Makes sense right?) This is why pass catching TE's and slot guys are so dangerous. There are a limit of elite WR's in the league. If your team has one (or lucky enough to have two) teams scheme up way to get them the ball and alot of QB's will force the ball to them.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:27 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Your #1 and 2 WR are facing the defense best cover guys. Your TE's and slot guys are facing bad and/or lesser guys.(Makes sense right?) This is why pass catching TE's and slot guys are so dangerous. There are a limit of elite WR's in the league. If your team has one (or lucky enough to have two) teams scheme up way to get them the ball and alot of QB's will force the ball to them.
According to this logic, you make it sound like slot receivers should almost be comperable in terms of receptions to #1-#2 receivers due to the fact they have easier men on them in coverage.

But from year to year, stats virtually break down like this...

#1 receivers catch between 60-90
# 2 receivers catch between 40-70
Solid Tight Ends catch between 30-60
Starting RB between 20-50
#3 receivers catch between 20-45 (Your typical slot receiver)
#4 receivers catch between 10-25
#5 receiver catch between 5-15

Sure there are sometimes players who break these barriers, but as a rule I'd place most players in these zones.

And as you can see, slot receivers really shouldnt be that deadly when on the field.

But in Madden, its seldom you see someone pass to their #1 or #2, because there is no need to. Route running still means nothing in this game.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:38 AM   #15
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

The slot receiver has always been too effective in madden. This goes back to last gen also. My slot receivers are always my top receivers and always are near the top of the league leaders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2009, 02:39 AM   #16
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

I think that is more of a problem how your opponent is playing. I use either the Colts or Dolphins online. I will just abuse Wayne, because he is their only WR. You just have to know what routes work for outside guys. Comebacks, Slants, Deep Ins or Ins (my Favs), Drags, Screens, Fades, Go routes, etc. all work very well. I think many online gamers are just not good at staying in the pocket and making their reads, so they usually force it to their slot man. Let's face it, the slot man is easy, because A) they are their first read coming across the middle B) Your focus will be somewhere else C)they are going up against a linebacker or safety most of the time.

To counter this you need to know your team. You are using the Steelers, so a Nickel 2-4-5, Nickel with LB pass rushing, or 3-3-5 would be ideal for a 3 WR set. Nickel 2-4-5 is my favorite. You would have Harrison and Woodley rushing the QB and you could do a cover 2 zone where you have the middle covered. This should definitely take away the slot crossing routes. Now if you want to play man, make sure your nickel back has a good speed rating, if not switch him with someone else or go to defensive assignments and make adjustments. You could also let Troy guard the slot man too, but the key would be to mix it up. Do not be stingy and act like you have to run 3-4 the whole game, because that will just not work. 3-4 would only work against a 3 WR Set if you did a zone defense. I know people online can be annoying, but they play to win and do what they can. Some people have dumb tactics that usually only last a few games, but the key is to adjust and not just complain about it and blame it on the game everytime.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: I also disagree when you say route running means nothing. It does too, but if they are just running crossing routes then it really doesn't take much skill to do that. But for the complex double move routes, it means a lot. How do you think WR's like Reggie Wayne get so many catches and can be effective in this game and in real life? 3 things IMO....Hands, Catches in Traffic, and Route Running. Wayne is 6 foot, if that, and has average speed for a WR, but he is a top 5 WR in the game due to those 3 aspects I mentioned. If you want to see if route running means nothing, go to practice mode and experiment. I think the Colts have a WR who has like 40 or so route running and test him against Wayne. Run double moves like Sluggo's, Corner Posts, etc. Then try basic ones like Comebacks and Deep ins. You will see a difference.

Youtube

Last edited by cardinalbird5; 08-24-2009 at 02:45 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »