Home

Football, 5 years after.

This is a discussion on Football, 5 years after. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2009, 05:52 AM   #57
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Football, 5 years after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klb835
#1 .... whoever is blown away by these graphics is blind

seriously there's nothing special about these graphics
Old 08-25-2009, 06:02 AM   #58
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by budsticky
Whether you're a hockey gamer or not I don't think you need to look any further than the hockey offering of 2K and EA to see what competition can do to revitalize a dead series. EA was getting it's but kicked by 2k in the hockey gaming community year after year. As of the last couple years EA has completely turned the tables and they now dominate in hockey with a product that as of last year was superior in just about every way. Would this huge turn around have happened if EA had exclusive NHL rights? Who knows. The point is, even with a game that is probably dwarfed in sales numbers compared to Madden, EA had to get its you know what together or they were just going to get flat out beat on the NHL front.

You can say the same thing for the FIFA vs. PES war. EA was getting thumped as far as quality soccer by Konami and PES. Now many believe that EA has turned the tables there as well.

So how can EA turn things around and produce superior products in two sports that aren't exclusive to them..both of which sell markedly less units (at least in the US). The answer is clear: they don't have to turn anything around with their NFL football game. They have nobody to threaten their sales numbers...which ironically enough was the whole reason the exclusivity thing happened. They were scared to death of what 2K could do to their cash cow. In retrospect I think 2K's biggest mistake was selling that game at 20 bucks. I mean it's just unheard of to release a game that eventually many people considered the best ever and you drop the price 30 dollars from previous years. Wow. EA had to do something. They could no longer compete on a game play front and they were getting beat on the price front as well. Ironically though, 2k probably shot themselves in the foot by putting it out at 20 bills....a sound strategy at the time, but hindsight is 20/20. Truth be told the exclusivity deal may have happened anyway, but that had to at least somewhat accelerate it behind the scenes.

I like what you said during your breakdown, with madden having all the various speed modes I knew there would be problems. To many speed settings, to many skill settings, and a dumbed down AI. Bad combinations equal bad football.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNiDiTkA
I know this is nothing important but I was playing 2K5 the other day and was struck by how fantastic the player models look.

For comparison's sake, Madden 10.

And lets not forget the Wii

I stand corrected. The player models in NFL2K5 were pretty good.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #60
Pro

biglami's Arena

OVR: 11

great post...I agree graphics have come a long way, but gameplay is less than ideal...

only thing I have to say is Pro Tak is not a good attempt at anything. Tackling in Madden 09 was pretty good, especially if you played it on Hardcore. Tackling in Madden 10 is so obnoxious- I dunno I am just not a fan.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #61
Pro

OVR: 6

Maybe Madden is slowly going down the toilet???...I did not like 09 at all....10 is not bad, just need to find the right sliders.......when does the exclusive liscence expire?????

Last edited by DirtyCobra; 08-25-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #62
MVP

OVR: 12

Madden definitely has nice graphics.

But graphics are only 50% of the formula for a solid game.

The other stuff in the game seems very sloppy and other stuff looks unfinished and rushed.

I have not been happy with EA's monopolizing the NFL contract. No "CHOMPETITION" has made them very lazy and their product is overpriced IMO.

None of the "Next-Gen" Madden games have been worth $60 - none of them. They are all missing features from previous versions or they are the same exact features with a graphical face-lift.

According to the NPD, 1st week Madden sales were down by 200,000 sales this year across the 3-newest consoles. That says something to me, and yes, with the game being overpriced at $60 in this economy, nobody wants to blow $60 on a yearly work-in-progress.

The way I look at this - if 2K Sports had the NFL license right now, it would probably BURY Madden. APF2K8 wasn't that great because it lacked the license and a franchise mode. But if you gave those guys the NFL license, Next-Gen football would probably be MUCH better across the board.

I miss 2K Sports' presence in NFL video games.

Last edited by Netherscourge; 08-25-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:57 AM   #63
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherscourge
Madden definitely has nice graphics.

But graphics are only 50% of the formula for a solid game.

The other stuff in the game seems very sloppy and other stuff looks unfinished and rushed.

I have not been happy with EA's monopolizing the NFL contract. No "CHOMPETITION" has made them very lazy and their product is overpriced IMO.

None of the "Next-Gen" Madden games have been worth $60 - none of them. They are all missing features from previous versions or they are the same exact features with a graphical face-lift.

According to the NPD, 1st week Madden sales were down by 200,000 sales this year across the 3-newest consoles. That says something to me, and yes, with the game being overpriced at $60 in this economy, nobody wants to blow $60 on a yearly work-in-progress.

The way I look at this - if 2K Sports had the NFL license right now, it would probably BURY Madden. APF2K8 wasn't that great because it lacked the license and a franchise mode. But if you gave those guys the NFL license, Next-Gen football would probably be MUCH better across the board.

I miss 2K Sports' presence in NFL video games.
Blame the NFL. They whored out the license to the highest bidder.

New York Giants- 1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007.

PSN ID- matt8204
Old 08-25-2009, 12:12 PM   #64
Banned

OVR: 6

"The way I look at this - if 2K Sports had the NFL license right now, it would probably BURY Madden."

You mean the way it buried Madden when they had the license.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »