Home

Scouting WAYY to easy

This is a discussion on Scouting WAYY to easy within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2009, 04:00 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Scouting WAYY to easy

now I love the scouting system in this game and the whole sleepers thing but its honestly too easy. With the potential bar and the pentagon once you actually get to the draft, its almost impossible to miss on a prospect. Ive only done one year so far but the results kind of depressed me. I was excited about a long rebuilding process for the lions but I basically did it in one draft.

I traded back and compiled a bunch of later picks:

2nd round: 84 ovr RT (A potential)
2nd round: 81 ovr WR (A potential)
2nd round: 83 ovr MLB (A potential)
3rd round: 85 ovr RG (A potential)
3rd round: 82 ovr LG (A potential)
3rd round: 82 ovr CB (B potential)
5th round: 77 ovr C (B potential)
5th round: 71 ovr MLB (C potential)- worst pick in my draft and thats because there was no one else to take at that place
6th round: 77 ovr WR (C potential)- I knew his potential wouldnt be that great but he was a freak athlete and had good WR skills so I thought it was good value at the position
6th round: 84 ovr SS (B potential)

Is it just me or is it wayyy too easy?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2009, 04:13 AM   #2
Rookie

firktaf's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Scouting WAYY to easy

Yeah, it is too easy. I've decided to not do scouting at all anymore and basically just leave it up to luck in the draft.

I did sort of get thrown off one time though. I drafted the highest rated QB from scouting(and one of the top 3 or so overall) in the late 2nd round and he came in, like expected, with an A potential but his rating was only a 54. It was definitely unexpected and it pretty much made him incapable of being worthy of starting for 4-5 years.

NFL:
Jacksonville Jaguars
MLB:
St. Louis Cardinals
NBA:
Orlando Magic
NCAA: UCF Knights
Old 08-24-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
All Star

OVR: 33

Congrats.

My drafts have been lackluster so far.

I seem to have a lot of bust. Best pick was like a 3rd rounder 80 overall a potential ROLB.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:28 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbrown88
now I love the scouting system in this game and the whole sleepers thing but its honestly too easy. With the potential bar and the pentagon once you actually get to the draft, its almost impossible to miss on a prospect. Ive only done one year so far but the results kind of depressed me. I was excited about a long rebuilding process for the lions but I basically did it in one draft.

I traded back and compiled a bunch of later picks:

2nd round: 84 ovr RT (A potential)
2nd round: 81 ovr WR (A potential)
2nd round: 83 ovr MLB (A potential)
3rd round: 85 ovr RG (A potential)
3rd round: 82 ovr LG (A potential)
3rd round: 82 ovr CB (B potential)
5th round: 77 ovr C (B potential)
5th round: 71 ovr MLB (C potential)- worst pick in my draft and thats because there was no one else to take at that place
6th round: 77 ovr WR (C potential)- I knew his potential wouldnt be that great but he was a freak athlete and had good WR skills so I thought it was good value at the position
6th round: 84 ovr SS (B potential)

Is it just me or is it wayyy too easy?
Seeing this annoys me. I ussually figure drafting out without an issue but for some reason this year I never get decent drafts. I need some help

Are you just focusing solely on the potential bar? Or a combination of the hexagon, potential bar, and in season scouting? Does the potential bar ever lie? or should I always look at it as the true nature of a players ability?

BTW how do you get players with A/B potential to realize it? Do they have to start? or can they grow from the bench a few years?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:28 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 38

Only tried it once but sadly it falls short , basically useable
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
Seeing this annoys me. I ussually figure drafting out without an issue but for some reason this year I never get decent drafts. I need some help

Are you just focusing solely on the potential bar? Or a combination of the hexagon, potential bar, and in season scouting? Does the potential bar ever lie? or should I always look at it as the true nature of a players ability?

BTW how do you get players with A/B potential to realize it? Do they have to start? or can they grow from the bench a few years?
Well I had scouted alot of players and when you scout them I believe their potential bar becomes more accurate. But its not hard to find players that start out great, Just look at their pentagon. From all the CBs I had scouted I then looked at who had the best man/zone coverage combination from their pentagon.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

You're a better scout than I am. Most of my draft picks have been low 70s - 50s. I've had three players (in four years) that came in as 80 - 82.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 39

There is just something missing from scouting..the potential bars are no good because you cant view them once you enter the draft.

I would actually like to rank prospects before the draft on some kind of draft board. Also I never get offered any trades for my picks..that is just unrealistic.

1. Needs depth to scouting
2. Need depth to draft prep organization
3. Needs more realistic draft day feel ..presentation and more trades should happen

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »