Home

Does Fifa sell more than Madden???

This is a discussion on Does Fifa sell more than Madden??? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2009, 05:57 AM   #17
Rookie

Trustpt's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Does Fifa sell more than Madden???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Fifa is not even a football sim. Its so popular because it is very fun and because of the control.
If you know how to play it, it is a football sim. If you play with cheesers then don't expect to play a sim game.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:10 AM   #18
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

I am not a huge fan of soccer but I do try to follow the LA Galaxy (hell, they play their home games a few minutes from my home), and the USA and Mexican national teams. That being said I bought FIFA 09 and have really enjoyed it. It has a very TV like presentation on some of the camera views and the different language DLC's are great.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:57 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
I'll admit I'm not a soccer fan, but I'd have to think that on the field soccer AI isn't going to be anywhere near as complex as football.
You're joking, right ?

Soccer doesn't have scripted plays like football have (receiver route, blocking scheme, blitz...)
The AI has to adapt every single second to what is happening on the field for Offense and Defense. There are no scripted play.
Soccer is way more complex than Football.

I've played soccer for 25 years now, and i played Football for 5 years.
I was easier for me to become a good football player than for my football teammates to become a good soccer player.

Last edited by steph; 08-25-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trustpt
If you know how to play it, it is a football sim. If you play with cheesers then don't expect to play a sim game.
Basically
Old 08-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #21
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph
You're joking, right ?

Soccer doesn't have scripted plays like football have (receiver route, blocking scheme, blitz...)
The AI has to adapt every single second to what is happening on the field for Offense and Defense. There are no scripted play.
Soccer is way more complex than Football.

I've played soccer for 25 years now, and i played Football for 5 years.
I was easier for me to become a good football player than for my football teammates to become a good soccer player.
I'm sure it does take a few years to really master the art of diving...

(sorry)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
I'm sure it does take a few years to really master the art of diving...

(sorry)
Good one
Old 08-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #23
Pro

OVR: 18

I think the OP is making the connection between sales figures and final quality of product. Im not sure if that is 100% true. Even if the Fifa team is bigger than the Madden team, Tiburon still gets enough support and backing to turn out a great football game. The fact that Fifa is arguably a "better" sports game doesnt boil down to sheer numbers of programmers and beta testers.

In my opinion it is about the leadership, vision and talent of the development team. It starts from the top down. Madden is the perfect example. A new team has been in place for a year and a half and look at how Madden has started to bounce back from it low point from 06 - 08.

NHL is easily EA's "best" sports game when it comes to quality, and that certainly doesnt follow the "bigger is better" philosophy when it comes to dev teams. EA is a fragmented group with development teams spread accross the continent. If you have a great leader (like Ian Cummings), then the focus and quality trickles down into the details and polish of a great sports game. It just takes a little time to see the results. I think we're seeing some in Madden 10. I hope they keep pushing for 11.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #24
The Print Guy

65South's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnprestonevans
I think the OP is making the connection between sales figures and final quality of product. Im not sure if that is 100% true. Even if the Fifa team is bigger than the Madden team, Tiburon still gets enough support and backing to turn out a great football game. The fact that Fifa is arguably a "better" sports game doesnt boil down to sheer numbers of programmers and beta testers.

In my opinion it is about the leadership, vision and talent of the development team. It starts from the top down. Madden is the perfect example. A new team has been in place for a year and a half and look at how Madden has started to bounce back from it low point from 06 - 08.

NHL is easily EA's "best" sports game when it comes to quality, and that certainly doesnt follow the "bigger is better" philosophy when it comes to dev teams. EA is a fragmented group with development teams spread accross the continent. If you have a great leader (like Ian Cummings), then the focus and quality trickles down into the details and polish of a great sports game. It just takes a little time to see the results. I think we're seeing some in Madden 10. I hope they keep pushing for 11.
VERY well stated!

PSN: Sixty5South

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »