Home

CPU, sadly, Play more real.

This is a discussion on CPU, sadly, Play more real. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 12
CPU, sadly, Play more real.

This is sad but seems to be true. The cpu vs cpu games plays more realistic than Human vs Cpu. What i mean by that is that is that the logic is there to some degree compared to Hum/Cpu. Now this is with sliders set to:

My Skill: PRO
CPU Skill: Default (50)
Game Speed: Slow
Speed Threshold: 0
Playcalling: Beginner (ever since switching the game calling is much better)

1. Teams up by a lot run the ball more instead of passing.

2. Teams up by a lot will run on 3rd down.

3. Teams will take knees when they should instead of scoring.

4. Teams behind will go for it on 4th down.

5. The blocking seems to be better along with pass rush.

6. QB's will run for first downs if no one is open.

7. Teams with good o-line / HB will have good run yardage. (A.P / W. Parker / M. Forte all run for over 100+ yards)

8. The Flat passes are covered.

9. Deep balls are there. I've seen some really nice catches.

10. Scores stay low. (Ive lost a game 21-3 with my lions) (My lions are so bad the most they scored is 21 points)

I've been playing and testing since the game came out, and it seems like the most realistic game play was cpu vs cpu. The problem is that only a hand full of guys plays the game this way, maybe 5%. The main issues for cpu vs cpu is that there is:

1. NO INJURIES

2. Very little Penalties

I think a lot of people got shafted with game play for hum vs cpu.

Last edited by claystone; 08-25-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Pro

budsticky's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: CPU, sadly, Play more real.

Question on running in coach mode: I haven't done it yet but am thinking about giving it a try. What is the difference between coach mode and just playing regular mode but not controlling my players? If you don't move any thumbsticks after you snap your players just control themselves. The only reason I'm thinking about doing it this way is because you wouldn't technically be in coach mode so you could still get injuries. Or am I missing something key about being in coach mode?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 15

well of course. The AI can only operate in the bounds of what it is programmed to. A human is going to take the pass of least resistence most of the time. If there is a play that gives you good sucesses when you need 3 yards, you would be much more inclined to call it when the game is on the line and you need 3 yards.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
MVP

Azamien's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by budsticky
Question on running in coach mode: I haven't done it yet but am thinking about giving it a try. What is the difference between coach mode and just playing regular mode but not controlling my players? If you don't move any thumbsticks after you snap your players just control themselves. The only reason I'm thinking about doing it this way is because you wouldn't technically be in coach mode so you could still get injuries. Or am I missing something key about being in coach mode?
"Coach Mode" is only the setting that dictates whether or not the AI will throw for your QB if you aren't controlling him. Nothing else changes.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Pro

budsticky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azamien
"Coach Mode" is only the setting that dictates whether or not the AI will throw for your QB if you aren't controlling him. Nothing else changes.
But if you don't take control of the QB by moving thumbsticks or pressing buttons won't he just throw on his own anyways? I still don't see the difference in the two modes if you just don't move any of your players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
MVP

Azamien's Arena

Quote:
But if you don't take control of the QB by moving thumbsticks or pressing buttons won't he just throw on his own anyways? I still don't see the difference in the two modes if you just don't move any of your players.
Not without the coach mode setting turned on.

I think you're expecting a coach mode as existed in previous gen a few years back. That no longer exists. There is only the option to not control the players during plays. You still have to kick, punt, snap the ball, and control your punt returner before he catches it (for fair catches and to stop him from catching it at the one yard line).

I hope they put a real coach mode back in next year, but I'm not going to hold my breath. They create this game for the online people now.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
Pro

budsticky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azamien
Not without the coach mode setting turned on.

I think you're expecting a coach mode as existed in previous gen a few years back. That no longer exists. There is only the option to not control the players during plays. You still have to kick, punt, snap the ball, and control your punt returner before he catches it (for fair catches and to stop him from catching it at the one yard line).

I hope they put a real coach mode back in next year, but I'm not going to hold my breath. They create this game for the online people now.
Well that might not be so bad. I can live with just hiking the ball and controlling my special teams if it means improved play throughout the rest of the game along with the possibility of injuries. Plus, I know the kick/punt returners run automatically once they have the ball. So I would just have to basically control them as far as fair catches etc.. So I guess to sum up, the only difference between coach mode and regular if you don't take control is that you have to do kick-offs and field goals and you have to control your returners for fair catches and to let the ball bounce. Again, I've got no problem trading off that little bit of control to get injuries. Yeah, I think I'm going to try this later.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
MVP

Azamien's Arena

Quote:
Well that might not be so bad. I can live with just hiking the ball and controlling my special teams if it means improved play throughout the rest of the game along with the possibility of injuries. Plus, I know the kick/punt returners run automatically once they have the ball. So I would just have to basically control them as far as fair catches etc.. So I guess to sum up, the only difference between coach mode and regular if you don't take control is that you have to do kick-offs and field goals and you have to control your returners for fair catches and to let the ball bounce. Again, I've got no problem trading off that little bit of control to get injuries. Yeah, I think I'm going to try this later.
Despite my negative tone, it's fine for what it is. I wish I didn't have to manually kick since I've missed some FGs the AI wouldn't have, but other than that it plays great. It must considering I'm three games into my second franchise season already even after spending the first five or six days with the game tweaking sliders to work with coach mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »