Home

I don't understand this passing game...

This is a discussion on I don't understand this passing game... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11
I don't understand this passing game...

Okay, maybe it's me, but there are problems within the passing game that I'm starting to think aren't me, but are maybe issues with how the game was programmed. Let me know your thoughts/advice.

1) Is there any way to throw a pass over a DB? A lot of the time, I see a DB covering my wide receiver, but no safety is running over the top. So my thought is...if I fit it in over the DB, it will be a nice completion. But a lob pass will create a jump ball interception. And a bullet pass will go straight to the DB. Am I missing something, or is there no intermediate throw where the ball can get there with both velocity AND touch?

2) Leading wide receivers. Don't want to get into a flame war, but one aspect of 2K5 I liked was maximum passing. If my wide receiver is running left, and is covered, I could direct the pass a bit to the right and have it come slightly behind the WR to make the completion and avert an INT. This, too, seems unavailable in Madden 10. There's a little directional passing, I suppose, but there's not enough control there. Am I wrong?

3) Why does it seem that the opposing DB can jump and swat down balls, but I cannot make my WR jump and catch them? Now sure, I'll throw a ball and will sometimes see an animation which features the WR jumping. But I rarely see times where you can make your WR fight for the ball while its in the air. Again, it just feels like there's a lack of control.

4) Deep ball. Now granted, the Cleveland QB's are sub par all around, but I've tried both Manning and Brady and this still seems hard to pull off. It seems you kind of lob it up and hope your guy comes down with it. There's no jockeying for position, or purposefully out jumping the DB. You just gotta push the catch button and hope it lands in the WR's hands.

5) And while I'm happy that the coverage is good, is it me or do the WR's rarely get separation? I rarely see a play where a WR just out runs a DB, or a DB will jump the route too early and leave my WR steaking down the field for an easy pitch can catch. No real blown coverages or anything like that. Now sure, on an out route the WR might get open towards the sidelines, and while I don't want WR's open all day, it seems like they just aren't open all that much at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: I don't understand this passing game...

yes you can get a deep ball in over the top of the DB

play with the min speed threshold to help create separation

use practice mode to get a feel for connecting with your wr on the deep ball

use slider adjustments to help make the qb/wr interatction more reaslitic

My fav sliders for realisim (not easy, esp for the deep ball) are mr_presidents which can be found hidden on one of the pages of this thread.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 38
Re: I don't understand this passing game...

I was using Playmakers but the problem is you have to dumb passing sliders down so low it really messes us the deep attempts , then if too high its a passfest .
Just try to read Defense and mismatches and attack when its there but sliders , threshold ect play a big part . Good Luck

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »