Home

Ronde Barber

This is a discussion on Ronde Barber within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2009, 12:07 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Ronde Barber

yea Ive seen the metrics... Nnamdi is #1 and I think clements/revis/bailey are tops after that....
Barber while top 10 is not as high as you think....Cromartie and Newman stats looked bad last year if i recall....

Also give Ronde credit against the run at least also....
Old 08-28-2009, 12:12 AM   #18
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Whitebread
I'm gonna be honest, unless you watch game film you really can't say the things you're saying and expect them to be taken as fact. I mean, alot of times QB's think the defense is playing zone but they're playing man, and vice verca. Plays happen so fast that many times a QB doesn't know for certain what defense he's facing, in regards to zone or man.

Find Ronde Barber's Metrics from the last few seasons, find his rank among other corners when aligned in man, and bring them back. Then you can make a case to the development team. Otherwise it just comes off as a fan being mad. Not saying you are, but it sure looks that way.

Lemme kno the place to find info that specific and I'll be there asap but until then this quote from his head coach Raheem Morris says everything..."He's not a system corner. If he's a system corner, then I don't know any other Cover 2 corners out there that have those kinds of numbers,"..."Keep producing those system corners and maybe you can call him that."

Last edited by seriousluboy83; 08-28-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:13 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
I'm gonna be honest, unless you watch game film you really can't say the things you're saying and expect them to be taken as fact. I mean, alot of times QB's think the defense is playing zone but they're playing man, and vice verca. Plays happen so fast that many times a QB doesn't know for certain what defense he's facing, in regards to zone or man.

Find Ronde Barber's Metrics from the last few seasons, find his rank among other corners when aligned in man, and bring them back. Then you can make a case to the development team. Otherwise it just comes off as a fan being mad. Not saying you are, but it sure looks that way.
This

Also, where a player is drafted and how long he was been in the league are completely irreverent to how a player produces.

Other factors you must look at are the pass rush and the QBs/WRs these CBs are facing. CBs like Hall, Cromatie(sp), and others have been overrated for years because they made a lot of picks. In reality these players were just in the right place, due to pass rush or something other then the CBs great coverage, at the right time of a QBs mistake and they have good hands. They are not making plays by themselves like Bailey or Asomugha(sp) have proven they can.

A true shutdown CB or even one that is above average will not be thrown at. Man or zone QBs will not throw on that side of the field for fear of what may happen. Instead, Barber has slowed down over the years and is no longer playing at a high level in man coverage. He is getting older, slower, and already struggles against big physical WRs. He is going to play like an average CB in man to man because of those factors.

I love him as a person. He is a class act and is a great face for the NFL but..It is almost his time to retire and it shows in his game.

Last edited by Glorious Arc; 08-28-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:30 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousluboy83
Lemme kno the place to find info that specific and I'll be there asap but until then this quote from his head coach Raheem Morris says everything..."He's not a system corner. If he's a system corner, then I don't know any other Cover 2 corners out there that have those kinds of numbers,"..."Keep producing those system corners and maybe you can call him that."
Look up KC Joyner. Check this one out about ROnde Barber from November 5th.

Quote:

It was a bit difficult to name any cornerback as overrated because the main criterion most people use to decide who to pick for the Pro Bowl at this position is interceptions, and no one has a significant lead there. But Barber is a big-name cornerback on a team that's making a resurgence, and he has a high-profile twin brother who can pitch him to a national television audience every week. That means he has a lot of advantages in the hype tiebreakers.

Where he doesn't have an advantage is in the metrics. I have graded seven of the Buccaneers' eight games, and Barber has an 11.2 YPA and a 24.1 percent success rate. Both of those are the types of statistics that would get a young player benched or cut, but Barber has the career clout that allows him to weather this type of subpar-performance storm. Just because he keeps his job, however, doesn't mean he is worthy of the postseason honor roll.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column..._kc&id=3683651 thats the website it came from. This says Ronde Barber is overrated and put up numbers worthy of a benching
Old 08-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #21
Pro

Jump's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Perception>Stats

Cromartie is 89 overall, and the worst starting corner in 2008. By yards allow, and completions allowed. Granted he did have a hip injury.

Its all perception.

People think Ronde is old, slow and Cover 2 corner.
That's the truth. A players madden rating is determined as much by ESPN and NFL network, as what he actually does on the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2009, 01:07 AM   #22
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

Quote:
Look up KC Joyner. Check this one out about ROnde Barber from November 5th.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column..._kc&id=3683651 thats the website it came from. This says Ronde Barber is overrated and put up numbers worthy of a benching

Yea your right it does say that but I'm not seeing a comparison of other DB's in the league...when I see they're metrics then I'll be satisfied...And according to KC Joyner Fred Bennett from the Texans was the best DB last yr...A guy with 60 or more attempts last yr...And he's the best corner in the league...He only had 9 pass deflections and 2 ints...So what does that tell you...It tells me when ppl went at Mr. Bennett they did it with high success

Last edited by seriousluboy83; 08-28-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:31 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'm going to end the debate right now.

Here is the metrics on Ronde Barber:
Season Totals: 71 attempts, 10.48 YPA, 19.72 Forced INC%, 6 TDs, 4 INTs

You want some comparisons?

Asomugha
Season Totals: 29 attempts, 4.97 YPA, 62.07 Forced INC%, 0 TDs, 1 INT

Al Harris (since you hated on him)
Season Totals: 44 attempts, 7.30 YPA, 45.45 Forced INC%, 2 TDs, 0 INTs

The ratings were based from last year and obviously Ronde had a horrible season. 80% of the time Barber would give up a reception. This is him playing zone 40% of the time. If you are in zone, and you give up a reception 80% of the time, that's pretty bad. I'm just sayin...

And on each reception he gave up an average of first down. On TOP of that he gave up 6 touchdowns. If anything his MCV rating is a gift in disguise.

You hated on that Texans corner:

Fred Bennett
Season Totals: 58 attempts, 7.88 YPA, 31.03 Forced INC%, 3 TDs, 2 INTs

Even he had better stats.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:44 AM   #24
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigorousXChris
I'm going to end the debate right now.

Here is the metrics on Ronde Barber:
Season Totals: 71 attempts, 10.48 YPA, 19.72 Forced INC%, 6 TDs, 4 INTs

You want some comparisons?

Asomugha
Season Totals: 29 attempts, 4.97 YPA, 62.07 Forced INC%, 0 TDs, 1 INT

Al Harris (since you hated on him)
Season Totals: 44 attempts, 7.30 YPA, 45.45 Forced INC%, 2 TDs, 0 INTs

The ratings were based from last year and obviously Ronde had a horrible season. 80% of the time Barber would give up a reception. This is him playing zone 40% of the time. If you are in zone, and you give up a reception 80% of the time, that's pretty bad. I'm just sayin...

And on each reception he gave up an average of first down. On TOP of that he gave up 6 touchdowns. If anything his MCV rating is a gift in disguise.

You hated on that Texans corner:

Fred Bennett
Season Totals: 58 attempts, 7.88 YPA, 31.03 Forced INC%, 3 TDs, 2 INTs

Even he had better stats.

Good find must be from a different yr tho accorring to KC Fred had a 4.0+ YPA...lemme kno where you pulled these stats from

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »