Home

Madden : games or a monopoly?

This is a discussion on Madden : games or a monopoly? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22
Madden : games or a monopoly?

As year after year passes since the fateful day of madden securing the NFL license more and more people come to question about the ethics of the video game industry. Madden since requiring the NFL license has slowly turned the once thriving football gaming industry into a sad never changing monopoly with a few upgraded features each year. A monopoly by definition is an Exclusive control by one group of the means of producing or selling a commodity or service. The definition of Monopoly defines EA's madden series right down to the button. look at it this way The exclusive control is held by ea who has the sole rights to the NFL license and the commodity they are selling each year is a madden game. people might think i am over reacting but EA's control over the NFL license perfectly fits the bill of a monopoly because no other company is allowed to produce a game that includes NFL players,coaches or anything of the sort. Because of EA monopolizing the sports gaming industry(NFL wise) they do not have to put up with competition year in and year out which means that each passing year until this deal ends (if it does) they frankly do not need to improve the game leaps and bounds. if there was a little competion than at least EA would work for payer costomers to purchase its game but that is a bit off topic. in the USA (and im pretty sure in a few other places aswell) it is ilegal to have a monopoly yet no action has been taken. frankly i dont think anything will happen to stop this soon to be endless nighmare. The gaming industry is just as important as anything out there in the US because of the fact that millions of people buy games of all sorts but the government does not put an end to this madness and coruption. I personally think that out of the madden games madden 2005 was the best out of the Madden franchise because of the competion factor. i believe many gamers agree with me and feel the same about this issue. I don't care what anyone says EA is running a Monopoly and it must be stopped. this is comming from a 15 year old kid that wishes he can do something about it. thank you for reading this and please post your thoughts on this tentative subject.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Madden : games or a monopoly?

This horse has been beaten to death, but yes, it is a monopoly.
Madden is good this year, but it's still a monopoly all the same.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopydude
this is comming from a 15 year old kid that wishes he can do something about it.
son, even adults wish they can do something about these bs.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:12 AM   #4
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

it's not a monopoly. as we saw 2 years ago, there is nothing stopping another company from releasing a football game.

also, a private company can license whatever they want. go on the under armor boards and complain about reebok having a "monopoly" on nfl jerseys.

this issue has been beaten into the ground 1000 different ways. learn what a monopoly is, then re-read your post and see if it fits.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:23 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
it's not a monopoly. as we saw 2 years ago, there is nothing stopping another company from releasing a football game.

also, a private company can license whatever they want. go on the under armor boards and complain about reebok having a "monopoly" on nfl jerseys.

this issue has been beaten into the ground 1000 different ways. learn what a monopoly is, then re-read your post and see if it fits.
Funny because what he posted perfectly described a monopoly. EA is a monopoly and if your trying to say otherwise you are either an idiot or delusional. *In before a mod closes because EA is perfect and can do no wrong! (Sarcasm)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2009, 01:46 AM   #6
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

if you knew what a monopoly was, you wouldn't say that. and nice job calling someone an idiot when you don't know which version of "you're" to use.

what he posted would describe a monopoly, but it doesn't describe the current situation. the NFL is a private entity and they are the exclusive holder of their own license. let's not forget, they can choose to withold their license completely and then no nfl game would get made. that's their choice.

basically, a private company has no legal requirement to grant its license to anyone. if a company wanted to make a football game where the players rape and kill, the nfl can choose to not extend their license to them. that's not monopoly.

don't be mad because 2k didn't know what to do without a license. i'm pissed that the series is dead, too, but it's as much 2ks doing as anyone elses.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:48 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 9

There are two sides to every argument.

Fact is, the NFL offered exclusive rights. They did not have to do so. If the industry was so thriving, perhaps they wouldnt have. In the end, EA was willing to pay for the license, and 2k wanted to be conservative. When you have built the dynamic video game company Electronic Arts has, you have the right to overbid on certain things.

Is it fair to the fans? Not really. I enjoyed 2k5 immensely.

A monopoly implies to a company that controls one WHOLE segment of an industry. Therefore, football segment is only part of the whole video game community, therefore it technically cannot be a monopoly.

And since other football games are technically allowed to be created, that further proves it cannot technically be considered a monopoly.

Sorry to burst the bubble in which you thought you were making a new finding about EA and Madden. I'm sure stuff like this has already been investigated to make sure there is no collusion going on between EA and NFL.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:50 AM   #8
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsuperfly66
There are two sides to every argument.

Fact is, the NFL offered exclusive rights. They did not have to do so. If the industry was so thriving, perhaps they wouldnt have. In the end, EA was willing to pay for the license, and 2k wanted to be conservative. When you have built the dynamic video game company Electronic Arts has, you have the right to overbid on certain things.

Is it fair to the fans? Not really. I enjoyed 2k5 immensely.

A monopoly implies to a company that controls one WHOLE segment of an industry. Therefore, football segment is only part of the whole video game community, therefore it technically cannot be a monopoly.

And since other football games are technically allowed to be created, that further proves it cannot technically be considered a monopoly.

Sorry to burst the bubble in which you thought you were making a new finding about EA and Madden. I'm sure stuff like this has already been investigated to make sure there is no collusion going on between EA and NFL.
lol there is one of these "eureka" moments on here every few weeks. search function, people.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »