Home

Having trouble throwing the deep ball? I sorta got a solution!

This is a discussion on Having trouble throwing the deep ball? I sorta got a solution! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Having trouble throwing the deep ball? I sorta got a solution!

So, you have a speedy WR and you want to stretch the field, huh? But everytime you throw deep, a corner still in his backpedal knocks it down? Well yeah, it happens. But there is a way to complete that deep ball, you just have to calm down and have TIME.

When I started playing, I played like previous Maddens. I would wait approximately 3-4 seconds and then heave one down the field. After trying this in 10, I saw pass after pass get broken up. And if I waited any longer, I would get sacked. So I tried a different approach.

If you see one on one coverage, and your man is 20 yds down the field, DO NOT THROW it yet. Set hot routes to all your backs in the backfield and your tight end if you do not need him in the route progression to get one on one. Then sit and move in the pocket, and wait 5-6 seconds, if your man has the arm strength (Matt Ryan does, I'm not sure what his stat is) he'll get it out there. Your WR will breakaway.

I know this sounds like a simple solution, but it works. I played the Lions the guy I played just kept dropping into Cover 3. Anthony Henry had no chance when I went max protect and bombed it to Roddy White, who had 230 yds!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Having trouble throwing the deep ball? I sorta got a solution!

Im trying this out in practice with the raiders, lets see how this goes
Old 08-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstar12
So, you have a speedy WR and you want to stretch the field, huh? But everytime you throw deep, a corner still in his backpedal knocks it down? Well yeah, it happens. But there is a way to complete that deep ball, you just have to calm down and have TIME.

When I started playing, I played like previous Maddens. I would wait approximately 3-4 seconds and then heave one down the field. After trying this in 10, I saw pass after pass get broken up. And if I waited any longer, I would get sacked. So I tried a different approach.

If you see one on one coverage, and your man is 20 yds down the field, DO NOT THROW it yet. Set hot routes to all your backs in the backfield and your tight end if you do not need him in the route progression to get one on one. Then sit and move in the pocket, and wait 5-6 seconds, if your man has the arm strength (Matt Ryan does, I'm not sure what his stat is) he'll get it out there. Your WR will breakaway.

I know this sounds like a simple solution, but it works. I played the Lions the guy I played just kept dropping into Cover 3. Anthony Henry had no chance when I went max protect and bombed it to Roddy White, who had 230 yds!
LOL so using real football knowledge worked? Go figure

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!
Old 08-29-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

I have 0 issue throwing the deep ball, maybe because I have so many good speed receivers. Not sure totally but the way I run my plays deep passes work out.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLHITMAN
LOL so using real football knowledge worked? Go figure

I know, right? I was like "What do they do in real life?" Then I saw Ryan on one play sit in the pocket FOREVER and then heave a bomb...I was like "Hmm..."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 26

ive come to the conclusion that russels accuracy is terrible and is not fit for such a play
Old 08-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piderman
ive come to the conclusion that russels accuracy is terrible and is not fit for such a play

The Browns receivers don't have breakaway speed either. Of course, that could be because my speed threshold is at 0, as was recommended by somebody in the sliders section.

Also, Quinn doesn't have the arm strength (At least in the game).
Old 08-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piderman
I'm having the same issues with Cutler, everytime I get Hester one on one and I try to lead him it goes ten yards over his head

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »