Home

A Plea for Sanity

This is a discussion on A Plea for Sanity within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
A Plea for Sanity

First off, I want to establish a few points.

1 - I am not doing this to suck-up to any form of forum staff here.
2 - I am fully aware we all have the right, through sharing the privilege of using this forum, to discuss, praise, and/or bash the Madden franchise.
3 - I am aware that I have complained about two areas of Madden NFL 10 here; Superstar mode and it's depth chart functionality and the lack of combined tackle totals. However, I have not gone to the depths that some have gone here in criticizing these areas.
4 - If this thread leads to a load of disorderly behavior (flaming, spamming, etc) I wholeheartedly agree with the possibility of it being locked and/or deleted.

Before I begin, I want to stress that while I agree with what I stated in point 4, I really hope we don't have to have this thread deleted and maybe we can share a discussion here in a civilized manner.

Speaking of being civilized, that's something that I've noticed little of here lately. Everyone's completely freaking out and redundancy is running rampart.

Like everyone else, I am looking forward to patches being released for the game. But do we need to constantly talk about the patches in every thread that is published on this forum? Someone can start a thread about beating the deep pass or establishing a run game and somehow it will go off-topic and everyone's shared anticipation for patches takes over.

Nearly all of us here bought the game, and truth is this year's edition is, without a doubt, the best since Madden went to 360/PS3. Yes, there are problems in the game. However, no game is perfect. Unfortunately, a lot of us here are acting completely ridiculous over the fact.

What happened to the days when your controlled-character's gun would go through a wall in Goldeneye for N64 and we thought it was COOL? What happened to the days when glitches would take place and we would be oblivious to the fact that it was an error within the game?

We need to loosen up our belts a little. We're getting a little high strung here. First off, it's just a video game and believe it or not, by purchasing it you are agreeing to accept the video game as is.

If EA doesn't want to release a patch, they are not obligated to, and so they don't have to. If they do release a patch, they are doing us a favor. The more we act as though it's something we are entitled to, the more foolish we look.

If [enter random band's name here] releases an album with 2 hit songs and 11 fluff filler tracks, would it make sense for the band to release a "patch" fixing the songs? Hell, like an album, video games are a work of art. You should feel privileged that there are people in this world capable of producing video games of such a high caliber (yes, despite glitches Madden NFL 10 is some good stuff) and that you can share in the experience of playing it. Like we used to enjoy video games, "back in the day." Be a kid again, please.

I'm not completely sure how Ian Cummings became such a scapegoat for the problems present in the Madden franchise. But how would you feel if you made something that you may have honestly believed was the best edition of said creation you have ever made and it was criticized ridiculously by thousands of people. I, personally, am the type to tell people to go "f" themselves and I would likely discontinue whatever it was that I was producing. Then again, I must admit, that I am not part of a multi-million dollar company so maybe things change once the money comes in and your skin gets a little thicker.

I don't know. Honestly, I wish we could all keep our criticisms in the Gripes thread and devote the rest of this forum to positive experiences with Madden. And please, for my sanity (nod to the topic title, eh?), don't tell me the problems with Madden far outweigh the good in the game because that's crazy talk.

To finish this off, I am going to refer to my 2nd point. I stated that we have a privilege to be here, similar to having the privilege of buying Madden NFL 2010. Some of you should really rearrange your thought processes and realized that while it is free to register here on this forum and you are allowed to share your thoughts, we are entitled to nearly nothing here. Many of you should try and not complain just to complain, hop off the bandwagons. While you have the privilege to share your views here, I shouldn't have to have them shoved down my throat everytime I come back here. And you can always say, fine then go somewhere else, and I'm sure if I left here it would not be any kind of loss to the community but why can't we act a bit more civilized?

I don't think I'm asking for much. Post the criticisms in the gripes thread, and the positives in the thread designate for all things possitive in Madden 10. And maybe, just maybe, let's develop a ratio of 1 negative thread for every 4 or 5 positive threads from now on. This place would be a lot funner and a lot less of a headache to come to.

Thanks for reading. I am taking a crap right now and figured I'd post some food for thought. Great thinkers think on the bowl. Never forget that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.
Re: A Plea for Sanity

I stated pretty much the same thing a couple of days ago and I got flagged/warning for it.

I didn't word it the correct way, lol. No worries though.

I'm glad someone can articulate it better than me.

I like the line you put up stating that folks try and make it like the negatives outweigh the positives, actually they dont.

Pretty solid game.

I see many of the same glitches everyone else does, but for some reason those glitches dont make me throw fits like many do. I cant recall ONE game that didn't have some type of weird quirks that happen.

I cant lie though, I would like them to tighten up things like trench play. I look at the bright side of things I guess. Maybe next years game could have the headline "yadda yadda in the trenches" or some **** like that, and they can focus on improving CPU logic for the off/def line.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

Well done and well written
Old 08-29-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Moncrief
First off, I want to establish a few points.

Nearly all of us here bought the game, and truth is this year's edition is, without a doubt, the best since Madden went to 360/PS3. Yes, there are problems in the game. However, no game is perfect. Unfortunately, a lot of us here are acting completely ridiculous over the fact.
I think you just answered your own question. While it may be true that no game is perfect, it is certainly clear that some games are far less perfect than others. I would not be complaining had I spent $20, however I spent $64. I spent $64 for a game that many, including myself, consider inferior, to a game that came out 5 years ago on last generation (a game I spent $20 for by the way). It is not ridiculous to demand some level of quality for my money. Moreover football is a sport that many fans have a great deal of passion about so it in not surprising that this passion is reflected in our interest in a video game.

I tell you what, if EA agree to refund me $40 for just the gameplay issues (AI, pursuit angles, run blocking, pick-6) then I, as a consumer, will give some respect.

Quote:
What happened to the days when your controlled-character's gun would go through a wall in Goldeneye for N64 and we thought it was COOL? What happened to the days when glitches would take place and we would be oblivious to the fact that it was an error within the game?
Those days were over a decade ago. Gaming has come along way since then and consequently the consumer demands more. What happened to the days when we were all happy with PONG?

Quote:
We need to loosen up our belts a little. We're getting a little high strung here. First off, it's just a video game and believe it or not, by purchasing it you are agreeing to accept the video game as is.
I'll loosen up when EA sends me a partial refund. Moreover this is a hobby that used to be alot of fun. However, you can't have much of a hobby when the product is, at its core, flawed. And it is the only football game available. I'm a huge football fan and football video gaming fan and last night, two weeks after Madden's release, I was playing "Arkham Asylum". That is sad. ("Arkham" is a fantastic game. It is just sad that, I, being a football fan, could not get into Madden).

Quote:
If EA doesn't want to release a patch, they are not obligated to, and so they don't have to. If they do release a patch, they are doing us a favor. The more we act as though it's something we are entitled to, the more foolish we look.
And I am not obligated to buy Madden '11.

Quote:
If [enter random band's name here] releases an album with 2 hit songs and 11 fluff filler tracks, would it make sense for the band to release a "patch" fixing the songs? Hell, like an album, video games are a work of art. You should feel privileged that there are people in this world capable of producing video games of such a high caliber (yes, despite glitches Madden NFL 10 is some good stuff) and that you can share in the experience of playing it. Like we used to enjoy video games, "back in the day." Be a kid again, please.
You're joking right? I mean seriously right?

Quote:
I'm not completely sure how Ian Cummings became such a scapegoat for the problems present in the Madden franchise. But how would you feel if you made something that you may have honestly believed was the best edition of said creation you have ever made and it was criticized ridiculously by thousands of people. I, personally, am the type to tell people to go "f" themselves and I would likely discontinue whatever it was that I was producing. Then again, I must admit, that I am not part of a multi-million dollar company so maybe things change once the money comes in and your skin gets a little thicker.

Ian is taking the brunt of 5 years of corporate neglect. I imagine he knew what he was getting into when he took the job as lead designer.

Quote:
I don't know. Honestly, I wish we could all keep our criticisms in the Gripes thread and devote the rest of this forum to positive experiences with Madden. And please, for my sanity (nod to the topic title, eh?), don't tell me the problems with Madden far outweigh the good in the game because that's crazy talk.
So 99% threads should be about how great Madden is and one thread to the "Gripers". Sounds fair.

Quote:
To finish this off, I am going to refer to my 2nd point. I stated that we have a privilege to be here, similar to having the privilege of buying Madden NFL 2010. Some of you should really rearrange your thought processes and realized that while it is free to register here on this forum and you are allowed to share your thoughts, we are entitled to nearly nothing here. Many of you should try and not complain just to complain, hop off the bandwagons. While you have the privilege to share your views here, I shouldn't have to have them shoved down my throat everytime I come back here. And you can always say, fine then go somewhere else, and I'm sure if I left here it would not be any kind of loss to the community but why can't we act a bit more civilized?
I get it. Madden is not broken. I am.

Quote:
I don't think I'm asking for much. Post the criticisms in the gripes thread, and the positives in the thread designate for all things possitive in Madden 10. And maybe, just maybe, let's develop a ratio of 1 negative thread for every 4 or 5 positive threads from now on. This place would be a lot funner and a lot less of a headache to come to.

Thanks for reading. I am taking a crap right now and figured I'd post some food for thought. Great thinkers think on the bowl. Never forget that.
A fitting ending.

Last edited by Paytonsplace; 08-29-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Alright, coming from someone who really likes the game (but like anyone gets frustrated too), this thread is really all over the place.

I really hate the mentality that the customer is helpless. People say we were not obligated to the blogs leading up to Madden 10 but I can say with certainty that without em I would not have even downloaded the demo after the atrocity that was Madden 09. NCAA Football having its worst launch in recent history is a testament that these are not empty threats. Recession hurting games my foot.

You can call it fan service while I call it good business. Continuing to support Madden 10 after release will make me more inclined to believe they'll support Madden 11 and so on. But that said, I'm not an analyst nor do I play one on TV. My real problem with this topic is not a plea for sanity but a plea for lowering our standards. Everybody has seen this trailer by now and for good reason:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ajPL3Kna4

Now without turning this into a "bash David Ortiz" topic as justified as that may seem, we clearly aren't close to this trailer yet and it was made four years ago. Madden 10 is a solid step in the right direction but some people are simply tired of climbing the staircase.

Like any game Madden 10 does have glitches, but that's not my main focus. The game engine(s) is a flawed foundation. This is not guns sticking through the wall but passes knocked down through a player's body. Madden is a game but it also a simulation. We're obviously not going to get another engine until the next round of consoles. I'm impressed this team got as much out of it as they did, but it needs to be stated again and again.

Ian knew this would come. The important thing is keeping the criticism constructive and I feel like most of the posts here do that. I truly hope they don't disregard it as mindless hating, or give up on the community for next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2009, 11:26 PM   #6
Wolverine Soldier

Jackdog's Arena

OVR: 37

Respect the OP wishes or stay out of it. Anyone trolling it will be given infractions. The OP wrote about something that's been killing this forum IMO. Again if you don't agree,don't post in this thread. Head to the "Gripe" sticky and have at it. This thread will not be closed if people can't act like adults. Those people will be given some time off from this forum. PERIOD.

Carry on with some intelligent discussion. Thanks
NCAA:Michigan Wolverines.
F-1: Ferrari.

It's been a while OS. Hope all are doing well!
Old 08-29-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
Rookie

Apparently my post above is considered trolling and earned me a warning. That was not my intent. Rather, my intent was to help the OP understand why some folks are unhappy with Madden this year. However, I've been asked to keep my thoughts on the quality of this game confined to the Madden gripe thread. I will do so. My apologies to the OP. I only wished to engage in a discussion regarding the merits of Madden '10. NO offense was intended.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:37 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 11

I actually like the game, I find it very enjoyable and entertaining. Personally, I feel that this game really taps into the NFL atmosphere much more compared to the last few releases of the previous years.

The games is not perfect,.but it has much more positive qualities than negative ones.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »