Home

Does anyone take control of all teams in Offline Franchise Mode?

This is a discussion on Does anyone take control of all teams in Offline Franchise Mode? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2009, 04:38 PM   #25
Rookie

Beardown's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Does anyone take control of all teams in Offline Franchise Mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe8865
I know I'm OCD about realism sometimes, but that would just really break my "suspension of disbelief". How often would a SB MVP not be re-signed by his team? I know it's just me, but that one is a head scratcher.
I thought he probably demanded too much money and they did not have the cap room. Didn't the Redskins have a RB that was the SB MVP or had a super performance once and then was gone the next season or two, Tim Smith I think, maybe it was to injury or something.

Anyway, I hear what you are saying but it is not too bad especially compared to years past. It was cool to see the Vikings pick him up after Farve retired.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2009, 04:39 PM   #26
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown
I thought he probably demanded too much money and they did not have the cap room. Didn't the Redskins have a RB that was the SB MVP or had a super performance once and then was gone the next season or two, Tim Smith I think, maybe it was to injury or something.

Anyway, I hear what you are saying but it is not too bad especially compared to years past. It was cool to see the Vikings pick him up after Farve retired.
Oh yeah I agree, it's a definite improvement that he didn't just sit in the FA pool as in next-gen year's past.

Was there at least a similarly rated QB behind him on the depth chart or maybe a highly drafted QB?

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Old 08-31-2009, 04:40 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 0

I have always controlled all 32 teams. It is a lengthly process but worth it. I always turn off the salary cap also in an attempt to keep all teams competeitive. This helps avoid Detroit selecting 1st rnd QB every year or Tebow getting drafted by the Ravens or TB who already have or drafted franchise QBs. For the Draft I usually only do the 1st two rounds and address specific individual team needs and sim the rest. In the pre-season I address any position shifts, depth chart and coaching schemes. My reason for doing this is to produce 32 evenly talented teams that are competitive evaery season no matter which one I am controlling. I also make myself a coach by switching a retired players name like Zach Thomas or Ted Bruschi at the end of the 1st season and appear in the 2011 staff hiring.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:45 PM   #28
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
I know I'm OCD about realism sometimes, but that would just really break my "suspension of disbelief". How often would a SB MVP not be re-signed by his team? I know it's just me, but that one is a head scratcher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
lol...knowing Washington (not to mention their dysfunctional relationship with Jason Campbell) it's actually somewhat plausible. In fact, it's more plausible than them winning the SB in the first place.
Agreed. As well the QB carousel that is Washington.

-Roster Trent Green for 4 seasons. 3 spent buried behind Gus Frerotte and/or Heath Shuler. Only to start yr 4, play in 14 games, throw for 3,000+ and 23/11, go 6-10 and off to greener pastures.

-In comes Brad Johnson, goes 18-14 as the Redskins starting QB, only to be jetisoned after an 8-8 season in yr2 for Jeff George to be the starter the following year?

There are many other crazy scenarios when you factor in the Spurrier years, and then Brunell/Ramsey/Campbell under Gibbs.

It's really not unrealistic at all for Campbell to jet after say a Superbowl MVP and stick it to the 'Skins a la Brett Favre-style.

After yr1 of my Eagles franchise Campbell wasn't resigned either, and the Skins ended up signing Alex Smith.

As for controlling all 32...I can understand why some would do it, but IMO it just becomes a hassle to babysit the CPU.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 2

Glad to see that I'm not the only one that does this. I remember when this site was the old Madden site, forgot the name, but it had the white background and red writing...LOL Like 3 years ago or so and I wrote this exact same thread and I got bashed for it, oh how times have changed.

But in all honesty, if I saw Jason Campbell not get resigned after he won the Super Bowl and was Super Bowl MVP that would kind of turn me off in terms of realism. It just doesn't happen. Think about it this way, Eli Manning isn't exactly on the level of his brother or Tom Brady and he isn't a stat producing phenom, but he won the Super Bowl and he is a leader and I could not even begin to think that the Giants would let him go after winning the big one and we all know the kind of media pressure and fan hatred that was laid on him and they stuck with him. The same philosophy would be applied to Jason Campbell in this scenerio. He is a winner and MVP, that right there makes for him to be the franchise QB and no one would even give him up, especially when there is no real answer behind him and also he is too young to give up on.

As for the Baltimore Ravens giving up on their Super Bowl winning QB that is an easy question to answer. He wasn't the reason why they won the Super Bowl it was their defense and their running game, Dilfer was there to only keep from losing games, sort of the same situation Kerry Collins was in last year with the Titans, and the only reason why Kerry Collins is still the starter is because there is absolutely no confidence in Vince Young and he is without a question of a doubt a 1rst round top 3 bust that will most likely be released once the 2009 season is over.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:28 PM   #30
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
I think this is the only way to play offline franchise mode.

Me too. I've been doing it like this every year from day one.

I like to keep my roster dead-on and play ANY game I want anyway.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:31 PM   #31
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIsMVDP
Glad to see that I'm not the only one that does this. I remember when this site was the old Madden site, forgot the name, but it had the white background and red writing...LOL Like 3 years ago or so and I wrote this exact same thread and I got bashed for it, oh how times have changed.

Me too dawg. In fact, this is the only way I'll play any sports game. If I'm not controlling all teams the realism eventually gets lost when real life roster moves are made throughout the year.

Even for my own team (Dallas) if Romo gets benched, then I start whoever is really starting.

Last edited by statum71; 08-31-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2009, 05:55 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by statum71
Me too dawg. In fact, this is the only way I'll play any sports game. If I'm not controlling all teams the realism eventually gets lost when real life roster moves are made throughout the year.

Even for my own team (Dallas) if Romo gets benched, then I start whoever is really starting.

Absolutely, I can't tell you how much fun it is to play a late November or late December Monday Night Football game that matters, even if both teams are teams I don't like in real life. I do it because of the weight of the game. Say the Pack and Viks are fighting for the division and they get a Sunday Night Flex game and that game determines the fate of the NFC north. And you have the ability to start injured guys because the season is quite literally in the your hands, or starting a hot rookie, or whatever. Thats called fun, I'm not cheating the game by picking one or the other, but instead getting the entire experience out of my Madden franchise.

Molding a league that best fits reality is what sports sim's is all about, and in offline franchise mode you have the ability to do it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »