Home

Fellow 3-4 Defensive users: HELP

This is a discussion on Fellow 3-4 Defensive users: HELP within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Unhappy Fellow 3-4 Defensive users: HELP

So we all know by now that EA has dropped the ball on the 3-4 again this year-please, I am very happy with Madden otherwise, but this is an issue that has long gone unaddressed. I understand that w/o the 3-4 nose being double/triple teamed consistently it basically screws the whole defensive scheme over, especially the pass rush, but I have heard that other 3-4 users have been able to generate some sacks with their OLB's, which frankly, I just can't get to happen, and I play as the Steelers with Woodley and Harrison. So my question is, those of you that are having success blitzing the QB, how are you doing it? What difficulty are you on? What sliders, or custom settings? What plays work for you; is there any special way you control your player? I've been playing at my skill, and I have a 710 IQ, and I've put the CPU pass protection slider down to 0 but I am still getting little to no sacks on opposing QB's. Thanks for your input, and I'm hoping this is patched at some point-not sure if that's possible-or that it is on the top 3 priorities to be fixed for Madden 2011.

Last edited by Steelerlad777; 09-01-2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Grammar
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 34
Re: Fellow 3-4 Defensive users: HELP

Use the rush OLBs manually, or use the NT and try to bulldoze the center every single down.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 25

LUCK has alot more to do with it honestly. I use the PATS and have Burgess and Thomas as my OLB's. Combined they have 9.5 sacks....(dont know how i got the .5 sack actually). I play either of them or use Vince to bull rush the center and open up opportunities from the outside. The 1-5-5 and 1-5-5 Prowl is great a bringing pressure on passing downs as well.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 12

I use the Ravens and nearly every one of the sacks that I got from Terrell Suggs is from a 4 down lineman position. The Ravens have quite a few formations that have 4 Dlineman and I just sub him in at DE for passing plays. I think the issue is that 3-4 OLBs are; 1) They generally don't blitz enough and thus they end up with fewer attempts to get sacks compared to the 3 Dlineman that rush on almost every down. 2) When they do rush, they are generally too slow to get to the QB or don't disengage the tackles fast enough for a sack or else the QB ends up with a lame duck. 3) The 3 down lineman don't actually attempt to occupy blockers (they shouldn't do it on every down either) for the OLBs to get sacks. All of those odds simply amass to low sack numbers for OLBs.

*Actual time may vary.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 38

I hate to say this, but switch to 4-3.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

I find that rushing from the edges with 3-4 OLBs is harder than it should be. The speedier of the bunch can get there, but it's still hard when you get picked up and have to fight the block. I actually try to call plays that bring them just inside the DE's and get through the gaps. If you're furious with the R stick and don't get turbo happy, you can have some success. I've gotten as many as 5 sacks in a game with D. Ware.

I've read that laying off turbo works and it does. I normally hold turbo for n initial burst, let off when I use the R stick, and hit it again when I close the distance to the QB. There is still a disproportionate amount of garbage "trip-up" type sacks compared to solid ones, but you can get pressure this way.

I also have my pass rush set at 95 and CPU blocking 35. I still think my AI teammates are still too anemic, but I've tried nearly every slider combo and can't fix that. Generating a rush manually works well this way though IMO.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I find that rushing from the edges with 3-4 OLBs is harder than it should be. The speedier of the bunch can get there, but it's still hard when you get picked up and have to fight the block. I actually try to call plays that bring them just inside the DE's and get through the gaps. If you're furious with the R stick and don't get turbo happy, you can have some success. I've gotten as many as 5 sacks in a game with D. Ware.

I've read that laying off turbo works and it does. I normally hold turbo for n initial burst, let off when I use the R stick, and hit it again when I close the distance to the QB. There is still a disproportionate amount of garbage "trip-up" type sacks compared to solid ones, but you can get pressure this way.

I also have my pass rush set at 95 and CPU blocking 35. I still think my AI teammates are still too anemic, but I've tried nearly every slider combo and can't fix that. Generating a rush manually works well this way though IMO.

I have booth my and the CPU pass blocking to 5 and pass rush to 100 and let me tell you when I play the Steelers I can clearly see Harrison destroying my LT. The pressure can get ugly at times.

*Actual time may vary.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelysk
I have booth my and the CPU pass blocking to 5 and pass rush to 100 and let me tell you when I play the Steelers I can clearly see Harrison destroying my LT. The pressure can get ugly at times.
Oh, make no mistake...the AI's team always gets their pressure...lol. If you pay attention, you'll see your linemen doing anything but blocking while the CPU aggressively attacks you.

Jokes aside, the issue is the disparity between what the AI players can do on the CPU's team and what they do on yours. It's like two different sets of "Artificial Intelligence." And we got the special needs group.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »