Home

Offensive Run Blocking Assignments/O-Line Progressions

This is a discussion on Offensive Run Blocking Assignments/O-Line Progressions within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20
Offensive Run Blocking Assignments/O-Line Progressions

Do ya'll think O.R.B.A. (Offensive Run Blocking Assignments) will improve the game....Base it into the A.I. that way every lineman knows who he needs to block...And instead of them plainly missing blocks now they kno who to go after and if they miss it's because of a bad angle or the defender was just better...This idea is strickly for the run also...It's not something where the user calls it out to the linemen...that'll take to long...But installed into the base of run blocking A.I....You add into the A.I. (Offensive Line) who they need to block...primarily d-line but on tosses and plays where the guards pull first man in sight...You just give the o-line the basic knowledge of who to block...And one of my homeboys agrees but thinks EA will say something to this effect "Ohh that's in there...and then they will look for 1 instance where it might work right and say see lol"...But to avoid this we need to be critical of every play where we run the ball...If you dont see linemen that are head-up blocking their man call em on it...Unless it's a toss play or a lineman pulling...In those plays look for the lineman to attack the first man in his path or open field...And for the progressions it should go something like this...My homeboy came up wit this stuff all credit goes to him...This from our conversation...Bored at work LOL...

Zoe:
I agree with everything you said except the problem EA is going to have is timingand how to get the OL to block defenders if the defenders are hitting a different gap from where they line up so if the DE outside 7 tech is slanting inside the TE and the TE is supposed to block him outside I'm not sure their animations can handle it they way they are now that's why they need progressionsfor instance if the NT is head up center and I want him to hit the right A gap the Center should hit his hip and double with the Guard and then the Center has to peel to the next levelthey just don't have the progressions down at all it seems

Me:
the way i'm looking at it there is no certain man the o-line has to pick up...unless their head-up...every other lineman has choices of who to block

Zoe:
right but so in that scenario I painted with the NT the center can't be hard and fast and block him simply because he's lined up there the NT is going to slant to the A so the Guard is gonna have to pick up the NT and the Center is gonna have to peel off and get to the 2nd level

Me:
So if these two ideas where combined your progressions and my O.R.B.A. how would run blocking fair then

Zoe:
should be legit but the progressions are gonna kick their ***

Me:
at least we'll be getting our money's worth then

Zoe:
I'd just say two things, the OL Blocking and DL manning and penetrating gaps must go together tho

Me:
Yea hopefully one day

Damn that was long...longest I've ever wrote...All Comments Welcome

Last edited by seriousluboy83; 09-01-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #2

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Offensive Run Blocking Assignments/O-Line Progressions

The run blocking in madden is pretty bad and is in need of some serious re-doing. Blocking and lineman logic need to be one of the top priorties for M11. I'd watch out for the grammer police because, someone will probably try mention something about the lack of periods, commas, and paragrahing.

But overall the run blocking needs anything it can get to make it better.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

revive
Old 09-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyGivenSunday
The run blocking in Madden is pretty bad and is in need of some serious re-doing. Blocking and lineman logic need to be one of the top priorties for M11. I'd watch out for the grammar police because, someone will probably try TO mention something about the lack of periods, commas, and paragraPhing.

But overall the run blocking needs anything it can get to make it better.
You never said anything about spelling

PSN: Gorilla-bob-Mac
Old 09-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofficial

aight that was funny...but can i get some comments on the general ideas brah
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofficial
You missed "priorties" =P
Old 09-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 9

I played basketball in HS and college so I don't feel I know enough about gaps and such to really comment on football blocking schemes in the manner in which you guys were speaking. I get your points though and can see it being a major headache (which is probably why the problem persists year after year.

I do wonder if you have noticed a difference in the CPU block logic v. the USER block logic when you have played. It seems to me the CPU makes more adjustments, comes off of some blocks to make others at key times and just plain whiff less. If that is true it makes me wonder if they do have something better underlying what we are seeing right now when the CPU is blocking FOR us.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:33 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 22

And that is a very good post. I really do think that EA needs to sit down and spend some time with coaches and players and learn all of the fundamentals and assignments and logic of football. Because right now, even with m10 being a solid game, still lacks the core fundamentals and proper execution for assignments in nearly all facets of the game. The gameplay itself is good. But they need more logic. More AI. Hold off on the animations for a second and focus on assignments and fundamentals. Then worry about how the ratings will affect how well the player executes those assignments. Once you have players in Madden looking like they're real life counter-parts, then you have a good football game.

After you got all the basics down, then you focus on the animations once the play gets started. This is where NFL tape comes in. Just sit down and watch NFL games and look at how players interact with each other and how tackles, blocks, picks, catches, throws, etc are made. Once you got a whole bunch of realistic animations that flow together and achieve a realistic outcome due to ratings, then you have a great football game.

Then you go into franchise and fix all of the logic there. You keep the draft classes (they're good this year) as well as the draft logic (good as well) but you fix the staff hirings... To make it short, Basically you have HC09 fully functional as much as you can in franchise mode (as well as online franchise and even superstar) and then you have a SUPERB football game.

The formula for making Madden great is simple. EA just needs to pull all of the strings together and make it work.

PSN: Gorilla-bob-Mac

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »