Home

New Attribute - Underneath/Flats Coverage

This is a discussion on New Attribute - Underneath/Flats Coverage within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Icon3 New Attribute - Underneath/Flats Coverage

How about an underneath/flats coverage attribute? Primarily to help good coverage LB's be able to stop TE/HB like the good ones can on Sundays. This could be the third coverage attributes next to man coverage and zone coverage. It will really set apart the guys who seek out the ball carrier and arent great in coverage and the guys who are beasts underneath and dont get beat consistently by TE's and in the flats by HB's.

We all have stories about Willis was getting tore up by a FB in the flats or Vilma not covering a TE underneath like he should and this could be a good way to make sure this doesnt happen in future games.

Probably wouldnt be all that hard to implement either(provided they fix the fundamentals of man and zone coverage within the game), the LB's can get a simple boost to covering the HB/TE. Eliminating the unrealistic 10 foot separation gaps even the awful TE's magically get after making one cut on their route.

Could also be calculated when Donny (hopefully) watches the tape on LB's, he could make additional notes about the coverage from the LB's to supplement LB pass defense stats used for ratings. Like LB1 keeps tight coverage and reacts well to cuts, etc. to properly rate them.

What do you think?

Last edited by matroska; 09-01-2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Cleaned up thoughts and made an additional point
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: New Attribute - Underneath/Flats Coverage

nice idea...but another attribute that EA could eff up makes me nervous.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudplayr
Provided they ever fix coverage, I dont think it would be that hard to additionally implement something of this nature.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
MVP

MelMan1486's Arena

OVR: 12

I think they just need to fix the defense in general when it comes to flats. If they could just fix the zone and man coverage when it comes to flats they wouldn't need to add a new attribute.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
Zero Finger Movement

CRIP4LIFE's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by matroska
...I dont think it would be that hard to additionally implement something of this nature.
and you know this because you coded what recently?

i'm just saying. unless you program/engineer/code software, or heck, even debug code, then you really don't know how hard/easy it is to implement anything... i'm just saying.

but then again, perhaps you are a software developer of some kind... in which case i retract my statement. but then maybe you could share how this could be done.

Last edited by CRIP4LIFE; 09-01-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMan1486
I think they just need to fix the defense in general when it comes to flats. If they could just fix the zone and man coverage when it comes to flats they wouldn't need to add a new attribute.
True. Hell, if they just patched the AI to blitz less frequently (especially while using press coverage), that would GREATLY fix the open flats problem. Lots of times the flats are open in large part due to the LB that would cover the RB coming on a blitz and the CBs are tied up bumping the WRs so they are little help in reacting to the pass, even when in zone.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudplayr
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKryptic
and you know this because you coded what recently?

i'm just saying. unless you program/engineer/code software, or heck, even debug code, then you really don't know how hard/easy it is to implement anything... i'm just saying.

but then again, perhaps you are a software developer of some kind... in which case i retract my statement. but then maybe you could share how this could be done.
Im not sure how they implement coverage attributes to translate into the gameplay and task success. In one of the blog reports that I read, it said that the "weapons" (pass rush weapon in particular from M09) used a ratings curve which boosted the FMV attribute behind the scenes for players who had this weapon. Maybe they could use an underneath coverage attribute in the same form, as a modifier, to enhance ZCV moderately in areas <5 yds from the LOS (representing underneath) or enhance MCV with the HB(representing the flats). I do not know how Madden renders the attributes from players ratings to onfield performance. Without knowing that, I have no idea if the game engine can use field variables (zone coverage underneath or man coverage with the HB/TE) to modify player attributes within those parameters but, if it can, I would imagine it could be implemented that way.

Not claiming to be a coder, I took a few classes in HS and college on programming but nothing to put me onto the level of telling these guys what to do and how to do it. This is just speculation of how it could be implemented. With no knowledge of the "engine" I cannot say how or what would work but based on current attributes and how they appear to modify gameplay, it doesnt seem like it is a take outside the limitations of the madden "engine".

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »