Home

The 3-4 is still broken, ideas and ways to fix it.

This is a discussion on The 3-4 is still broken, ideas and ways to fix it. within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 09-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: The 3-4 is still broken, ideas and ways to fix it.

The main problem is that theres no double team blocking which is what the 3-4 is based around. The 3-4 is meant to add blocker to oversized DTs (NTs) and the DEs usually are a lot closer to the size of 4-3 DTs and this is the problem. Without their being double team blocking in Madden the way it should be used the Linebackers are picked up in the blitz.

An easy solution would be for Madden to develop a formula for the OL to decide whether it needs to double block a defensive lineman. How to do so is a very difficult situation but it is a need and has been for many years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2009, 12:25 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0

totally broken....

my fantasy draft franchise front seven consists of: demarcus ware (olb), shawne merriman (olb), darnell dockett (de), luis castillo (de), vince wilfork (nt), lofa tatupu (mlb), and aj hawk (mlb)

7 of my first 9 picks went into creating an absolute nightmare for QBs,
but all i end up with is 7 seven guys who stick to O linemen

ware and merriman are number 1 and 2 in the game as far as their ratings for power move and finese move, but all they do is feebly wiggle and spin against the tackles
Old 09-10-2009, 12:32 AM   #27
Rookie

Lodeus's Arena

OVR: 8

This is the reason I haven't started a Cowboys franchise again. I cant get Ware sacks and its disappointing.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelysk
You do realize how unrealistic that roster really is right? It works perfectly for the reason that Madden doesn't take into account that a guy like Gooden is too small to play OLB in the 3-4 and Stroud is too tall and would actually play DE. I do get sacks, I actually lead the league in sacks, Suggs had 29 for me last season and Pryce had 24 as well but that is just not right for a 3-4 DE and I did nothing special with him. That is just broken, no way in hell should a 3-4 DE have that many sacks in a season. Also if you look around the league guys like Harrison, Ware and Merriman are averaging like 4 - 6 sack a season . And during games I feel like they are not much of a threat at all.
You are right, Gooden is a MLB that I shifted over based solely on his speed stat. I also know that the game cannot and probably never will factor in height...besides, Gooden is 6'1 or so and I think MOST OLBs are 6'1-6'2...tallest I think is Greg Ellis. The Steelers destroy me whenever I play them, not so much Harrison as Farrior and Timmons. I only get positive yardage if I read their defense correctly.

To say that the 3-4 in the game is broken if you can use it effectively is a bit harsh. Just because you can take advantage of it doesn't mean you always have to. The sim engine may be broken for 3-4 defenses, I grant you that, but, then again, it doesn't bother me nearly that much...especially because regardless of how many sacks I try to accumulate, I always end up at the end of a season smack in the middle of total sacks.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:09 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 4

Man, yes this thread is great. It covers a lot. So do all the 3-4 threads that pop up every 2 or 3 weeks.

But until you get a developer to actually respond in these threads, I would say this isn't on their list of priorities right now. I have yet to hear ANY dev post in any 3-4 related threads.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:12 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodeus
This is the reason I haven't started a Cowboys franchise again. I cant get Ware sacks and its disappointing.

Welcome to the club. Ive yet to get a sack with Harrison. A. Smith and Woodley get them though.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #31
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by debauchlord
You are right, Gooden is a MLB that I shifted over based solely on his speed stat. I also know that the game cannot and probably never will factor in height...besides, Gooden is 6'1 or so and I think MOST OLBs are 6'1-6'2...tallest I think is Greg Ellis. The Steelers destroy me whenever I play them, not so much Harrison as Farrior and Timmons. I only get positive yardage if I read their defense correctly.

To say that the 3-4 in the game is broken if you can use it effectively is a bit harsh. Just because you can take advantage of it doesn't mean you always have to. The sim engine may be broken for 3-4 defenses, I grant you that, but, then again, it doesn't bother me nearly that much...especially because regardless of how many sacks I try to accumulate, I always end up at the end of a season smack in the middle of total sacks.

Gooden's problem is not how tall he is, his issue is that he weighs 236 lbs. Let me give examples true of 3-4 OLBs:

Shawne Merriman: 272 lbs
Adalius Thoams: 270 lbs
Terrell Suggs: 260 LBS
Lamarr Woodley: 265 LBs
Demarcus Ware: 262 LBs
Jarret Johnson: 265 LBs
Shaun Phillips: 262 LBS
Joey Porter: 255 LBs
Mike Vrable: 261 LBs
Jason Taylor: 255 LBs
Aaron Kampman: 265 LBs

See where I am going with this? The smallest 3-4 OLB in the NFL is James Harrison at 242 lbs but as you just noticed he is the exception not the rule. Most 3-4 OLBs are either College 3-4 OLBs or 4-3 DEs (tweeners) that get converted to OLBs.

May be I should have used another word than "broken". I never ment to say that the 3-4 is useless because it does work. The issue is that is does not work like it does in real life. Currently the 3-4 acts almost exactly like the 4-3 and they don't work the same in real life.

*Actual time may vary.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #32
Pro

OVR: 12

More proof as to why you never leave your center 1 on 1 on a NT.

*Actual time may vary.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »