Home

Performance Vs. Equal Potential - I am Confused

This is a discussion on Performance Vs. Equal Potential - I am Confused within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2009, 02:09 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: Performance Vs. Equal Potential - I am Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
You are taking a portion of what I am saying to 'prove' your point.

Both players have the same Potential....
Not if you can agree to what I'm arguing. They don't necessarily have the same potential.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:11 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5

I really dont think potential should be based on one guy's(dev's) opinion, especially since they made it uneditable. I, honestly, think it's quite humorous(narcissistic) that they thought it was a good idea to go that route,

Progression should be based on performance and age, nothing else..JMHO
Old 09-04-2009, 02:18 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homecourt
Not if you can agree to what I'm arguing. They don't necessarily have the same potential.
I follow you completely. It is just the principle of the 'B' Potential. If that is the case it should be B+, B and B-.

I think I will end up editing my roster and bumping up certain players' ratings if the game can't handle doing it right in progression.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2009, 02:21 AM   #12
Rookie

Maybe this will help. I just traded Beanie Wells, Knowshon Moreno, Shonn Greene, Donald Brown, and LeSean McCoy to the Bengals.

Sorting by potential you get the following result:

B. Wells 78 (OVR)
K. Moreno 81 (OVR)
S. Greene 73 (OVR)
D. Brown 77 (OVR)
L. McCoy 75 (OVR)

edit-should have mentioned that they all have A potential - thanks for pointing out the lack of clarity firktaf.

Last edited by Homecourt; 09-04-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:22 AM   #13
Pro

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldude79
I really dont think potential should be based on one guy's(dev's) opinion, especially since they made it uneditable. I, honestly, think it's quite humorous(narcissistic) that they thought it was a good idea to go that route,

Progression should be based on performance and age, nothing else..JMHO
Potential has been around for a long time, this is just the first year they actually showed it to us. I agree with you though in that it should be editable. If they allow us to edit it, there's no reason progression shouldn't be based on it to some extent.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:25 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
I follow you completely. It is just the principle of the 'B' Potential. If that is the case it should be B+, B and B-.

I think I will end up editing my roster and bumping up certain players' ratings if the game can't handle doing it right in progression.
I hear you, but then if they did the +&- would there be no room within the B- range for one guy to have a smidge more potential than his counterpart?

And I do agree with the humor in the 'one guy's opinion' on potential thing. But performance and age alone would really open things up to players (us) padding stats to turn a bum into a superstar. Not that it wouldn't be their right within the confines of their own game...
(could have some implications in a league though where one guy is just better on the controls than others. Would get pretty uneven pretty fast)
Old 09-04-2009, 02:30 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argooos
there's no reason progression shouldn't be based on it(re: potential) to some extent.
Do you really think one guy in the EA office should have all the say in how good your favorite team's 3rd round draft pick is going to turn out? He has as much of a clue as any armchair draft guru. Maybe for the custom draft classes they create. But as far as players already in the league, it makes no sense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2009, 02:33 AM   #16
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldude79
Do you really think one guy in the EA office should have all the say in how good your favorite team's 3rd round draft pick is going to turn out? He has as much of a clue as any armchair draft guru. Maybe for the custom draft classes they create. But as far as players already in the league, it makes no sense.
I don't know who decided to make Donny Moore into 'God' but yeah... you know.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »