Home

Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

This is a discussion on Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2009, 06:42 AM   #145
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by jip4
But...I'm playing Madden.

The other things is that it's really not sim in any sense. If a Redskins fan followed your strategy playing 09, he'd be without the best player on the Skins right now. Signing FA's is every bit as much a part of the game as is the stretch zone. Sure signing high priced FA's left and right isn't sim, but

A) Ideally you wouldn't win every bidding war and
B) Ideally you would get yourself into major salary cap trouble that way.

I'm still in my first season, so I have no idea if either of these is the case in Madden 10, but they should be.
read the definiton and tell me im wrong..no dont, i have to sleep
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2009, 06:45 AM   #146
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldude79
read the definiton and tell me im wrong..no dont, i have to sleep
What your simulating is NFL strategy, not necessarily the play of specific players. And signing free agents is NFL strategy.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #147
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jip4
What your simulating is NFL strategy, not necessarily the play of specific players. And signing free agents is NFL strategy.
FFS as i stated earlier, im simulating(imitating) my Saints to the best of my ability w/ the the only means i have...there is no arguing that...its the only reason i get Madden every year
Old 09-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #148
Rookie

What ToolDude and TeamBuilder want to do is completely understandable - they want to liberate a player's potential ability from the arbitrary decision made by some EA dude about what a player is capable of achieving.

I understand that, but the way they want to do it via PBP would be a disaster. The only way to do that is to allow Madden players to edit potential ratings.

I admire Jip4 and Glorious Arc for continuing to argue logically and coherently why PBP is so awful, and it's a shame their arguments do not appear to have sunk in.

To recap, a player's ability is real life never going to be increased by their statistics. Performance (as measured by statistics) is a product of the gameplan, the opposition's talent, the talent of the teammates and the actual ability of the player concerned. Other than possibly a confidence boost a good performance does not increase one's ability.

Actual ability is improved through good coaching, strong work ethic, good training camp routines etc.

So for example if an F rated runing back rushes for 2,000 yards behind Gary Zimmerman, John Hannah, Dermonti Dawson, Bob Keuchenberg and Walter Jones then he does not suddenly become Walter Payton. He was just lucky he was on the right team at the right time. If at the end of the season he remains an F rated back then that is because he has reached his natural ceiling, either because of natural ability limitations, bad work habits or poor football IQ.

All PBP does is encourage unrealistic stat padding and ends up distorting the league as a Madden player manipulates the system to produce a bunch of 99 rated players.

If you want to argue for the ability to edit payer potential using roster management tools then I agree and will back you - if necessary posting as such on the appropriate forum to Ian Cummings and the EA team.

But stop encouraging EA to regress and put in place a flawed and disastrous model like the Madden 2006 one. The new system is much better, and I applaud EA for having the sense to change it.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #149
Rookie

jimmyy201's Arena

OVR: 6

When ppl say players should progress they aren't saying the overalls should go up because they had good stats but there abilities should go up to reflect how they really play.

And how does ea/Donny have the power to say a certain player can only become a certain rating. If this potential **** was in the old maddens tom Brady would have never had the chance to become an "A"
Old 09-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #150
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyy201
When ppl say players should progress they aren't saying the overalls should go up because they had good stats but there abilities should go up to reflect how they really play.

And how does ea/Donny have the power to say a certain player can only become a certain rating. If this potential **** was in the old maddens tom Brady would have never had the chance to become an "A"
No, he would have started an A. Plenty of players in the new draft classes work like that - drafted low, high potential. Some with a high initiial rating, some with a low initial rating.

The performance based progression is wrong. The current system is much better. Brady didn't start a 60 and earn 6 points a year because of his performance. He produced his performance numbers because of his abilities, not the other way around.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #151
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyy201

But "how they really play" (in Madden at any rate) is affected by
a) playcalling ability of the Madden player - e.g. finding good matchups
b) button mashing ability of the Madden player e.g. hitting the spin move button at the right time
c) constant selection of a certain player as the target of the play so he gets more catches etc.

None of which should cause his actual abilities to go up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #152
Rookie

OVR: 1

Jip4

Please just stop. You are obviously discussing with kids. They are never going to get it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »