Home

Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

This is a discussion on Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
ESBC Roster - The Best We've Ever Seen in a Boxing Game?
PES 2021 Team Spirit Guide - Understand Chemistry on a New Level
MLB The Show 21 Diamond Dynasty Budget Beasts
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 09-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #153
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

The progression system should be based on both potential and production. If a player does good for consecutive years his potential should raise and not be capped. Tom Brady would never happen in this game or Terrelle Davis. Deacon Jones was a 14th round pick back when he played would Madden rate his potential as F when he was argueably the best DE to ever played
Old 09-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #154
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiWolves
The progression system should be based on both potential and production. If a player does good for consecutive years his potential should raise and not be capped. Tom Brady would never happen in this game or Terrelle Davis. Deacon Jones was a 14th round pick back when he played would Madden rate his potential as F when he was argueably the best DE to ever played
Check the franchise draft classes. Plenty of high potential players go in the late rounds of the draft. Some that are immediately good, and some that take a few years to get there.
"Tom Brady" "Terrell Davis" and "Deacon Jones" would and do happen in Madden 2010. As does "Tony Romo" but previous Maddens never progressed a player who didn't put up numbers. Madden 2010 does.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #155
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richieh
... but previous Maddens never progressed a player who didn't put up numbers. Madden 2010 does.
Just want to pick up on this point - name me one sport where a player gets better by not performing?

Yet in Madden, you are saying players will get better just because they have A' in potential.......

Thats where realism goes out of the window... I draft a A rated player, dont use him for 8 years but he progressess to a 99OVR anyway... now some smart alec will say 'Why didnt you play him?'.. .Well Madden is a game and you would use a player you were comfortable with or enjoyed playing with (whatever its your choice) BUT Madden is trying to take that choice away by forcing the good players onto you, rather than you developing them.

I can see there would be flaws in progression based on performance and its probably something EA could never get right anyway, given the standard of game they produce. BUT to say that a 'set' development that is bog standard across the range dependant on potential is just 'insert expletive'.

Rather than Franchise mode becoming organic and living its own life.... after 1 run through, whats the point in playing again? You know who will end up being the studs... you know what rating players will have... you will know who to draft.

My franchise should be different to everyone elses, it should life its own life and not have a set path of player production forced onto me, whether thats the best method EA have produced or not... its not realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #156
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roolz
Just want to pick up on this point - name me one sport where a player gets better by not performing?

Yet in Madden, you are saying players will get better just because they have A' in potential.......

Thats where realism goes out of the window... I draft a A rated player, dont use him for 8 years but he progressess to a 99OVR anyway... now some smart alec will say 'Why didnt you play him?'.. .Well Madden is a game and you would use a player you were comfortable with or enjoyed playing with (whatever its your choice) BUT Madden is trying to take that choice away by forcing the good players onto you, rather than you developing them.

I can see there would be flaws in progression based on performance and its probably something EA could never get right anyway, given the standard of game they produce. BUT to say that a 'set' development that is bog standard across the range dependant on potential is just 'insert expletive'.

Rather than Franchise mode becoming organic and living its own life.... after 1 run through, whats the point in playing again? You know who will end up being the studs... you know what rating players will have... you will know who to draft.

My franchise should be different to everyone elses, it should life its own life and not have a set path of player production forced onto me, whether thats the best method EA have produced or not... its not realistic.
I even named the player in my example!
Did Tony Romo come to the Cowboys with a 90 rating and sit on the bench for three years? Or did he come to the team with some flaws in his game which he improved in his time there, without playing, and then when he became a starter show that he was a quality player right there and then?

AFAIK, progression is part potential and part performance now, and the progress a player makes through his career is not set in stone.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #157
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Did Tony Romo come to the Cowboys with a 90 rating and sit on the bench for three years? Or did he come to the team with some flaws in his game which he improved in his time there, without playing, and then when he became a starter show that he was a quality player right there and then?

AFAIK, progression is part potential and part performance now, and the progress a player makes through his career is not set in stone.
The most obvious and most worn out example to support m10's progression system is Tom Brady.

He did not come to New England as a the 199th pick and 90 overall.

He was something like a 66 overall with A potential. (WHich can be reflected in M10). Over a few seasons he progressed to 90(for example). But can not progress any further in m10 because he does not have the production. And when he finally started, he was able to complete his progress and become 99 overall.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #158
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
I totally see what you're saying, and I logically agree with you, it makes complete sense. But I just don't think it can work logically in Madden because you will have players that were drafted this year in rounds 4-7 that can never become elite because their potential ratings won't allow them to. So Yes in future drafts you will have later round gems, but what about the rookies in 09-10?
And just like real life not every player in rounds 4-7 can become elite. They are drafted with specific roles in mind. Sure you uncover 7th round gems like Marques Colston once in awhile, which Madden does allow for. But ratings needs to have a cap or everyone has the potential of being 99 which is not good for the game. I agree with jip4 & gang that progression cannot be solely based on performance. Each player has a limit to how good he is or everyone would be a 99. All men were NOT created equal when it comes to sports & natural talent.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #159
Rookie

red butler's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyy201
When ppl say players should progress they aren't saying the overalls should go up because they had good stats but there abilities should go up to reflect how they really play.

And how does ea/Donny have the power to say a certain player can only become a certain rating. If this potential **** was in the old maddens tom Brady would have never had the chance to become an "A"
Increasing abilities to reflect how they play is like putting the cart before the horse. A player's physical ability is what allows them to play the way they do. It has been mentioned several times but I'll reiterate... There are several factors that determine if a player produces on the field. 1. His god given ability, 2. The players around him, 3. The scheme, 4. The personnel/scheme of the opposition. To say that a player should get faster/stronger/more agile because he produces stats on the field is fundamentally wrong.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #160
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:

AFAIK, progression is part potential and part performance now, and the progress a player makes through his career is not set in stone
You are the first person on here that has confirmed/suggested this - this to me is acceptable as I feel on field performance is the only factor that you can really judge how good a player is/can be.

So if Madden 10 takes its 'Potential Rating' (because it is just a game after all) and combines that with how players play in the game, I can accept that. Its a shame if you are rated F that you are basically as useful as a 1 legged donkey, but still if the game needs parameters to actually work, then I have to accept that downside.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »