Home

Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

This is a discussion on Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
ESBC Roster - The Best We've Ever Seen in a Boxing Game?
PES 2021 Team Spirit Guide - Understand Chemistry on a New Level
MLB The Show 21 Diamond Dynasty Budget Beasts
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 09-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #177
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

We need a "hide potential" button...
Old 09-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #178
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump
I've read through most of this thread and I think I'll chime in.

Hit the nail on the head. This isn't an RPG. If your 70 ovr QB has a good season, your reward is that he had a good season.

I agree, this is a problem. The potential reveal has to be delayed.

Who said he can't be great. If he progresses a bit, and you tailor your offense perfectly to fit his skill set, there is no reason why can't put up pretty good numbers. Why do you need a rating to tell you he's great?

Totally agree.

Great point.

If Patrick Turner was to have a good year this year, it will be because of the 100's of hours of work that he and his coaches have put in preparing for each game. He doesn't turn up to game 1 of the season, a 75 ovr player, and improve because he catches a few balls on game day.

Bottom line is that the roster updates are completely different from franchise progression, and if you can't see this, than I don't know what to tell you.

In saying all that, I think on the field performance should factor in to progression, but other things(potential, coaching etc.) should play a much larger role.
It's completely different because every player has a pre-set potential rating. Look at real life like it was a franchise... if Patrick Turner is doing well on the field, his rating goes up. Simple as that.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #179
Rookie

red butler's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faizon
Yep, I actually enjoyed 04's progression.

Speed actually went up if you had a remarkable season (like +6 or more).

I don't like this speed, strength, thp, among other things never going up business. If it goes up from Madden to Madden, it should go up in progression.

Only thing it lacked was the huge gains like if you were a 60 WR and had 100 catches. You'd only go up to like 68 max.
Why would you ever want speed to go up +6 ? Most players are as fast as they are ever going to be right after college. If anything their speed should go down.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #180
MVP

patriotway's Arena

OVR: 1

the good part about having potential (although it shouldn't be known from the beginning) is that a players ability & work ethic can take them so far. for example, since wes welker had over 200 catches in the last 2 seasons does that make him better than larry fitzgerald? or because reggie bush is a great playmaker is he a better running back than mjd?
Old 09-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #181
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
It's completely different because every player has a pre-set potential rating. Look at real life like it was a franchise... if Patrick Turner is doing well on the field, his rating goes up. Simple as that.
I'm sorry, this is the point that you keep missing. Real life players have ability levels, which determine the level that they play at. Madden ratings are our attempts to quantify those ability levels. But all we can do, mostly, is guess at them. And as we learn more about certain players, we can adjust their Madden rating. But it's not because their ability level has changed. It's because how much we know about them has changed.

Video game Madden players have madden ratings, which determine the level that they play at. We don't have to attempt to quantify those ratings. Because we know exactly what they are.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #182
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
You do realise you are now confusing a players perceived rating in real life with his actual rating in real life don't you?
Old 09-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #183
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Lots of good mature discussion in this thread. One point that I don't think has been mentioned yet is that the current progression system lessens the impact of the ever-present stat bugs or irregularities between played and simmed games. The old system (PS2-XBOX gen) used to have all kinds of issues with Offensive Linemen progressing too quickly (and too much) because of ridiculously high numbers of pancake blocks in played games as opposed to simmed. With PBP in place, over the long haul this made the user team's offensive linemen progress much farther and better than the CPU-controlled teams. And the only way to really fix it was to bring the blocking sliders down so far that you couldn't run the ball or have enough time to throw. With these IHOP offensive lines, it was almost impossible to not have 90's across the board after a few seasons.

Now, with the current engine the pancake problem is the exact opposite (not enough), but because progression isn't tied nearly as much to performance, Lineman progression, like every other position, is fairly constant and a lot more realistic.

Obviously we'd all like the stat issues and bugs fixed, but if they do exist (and they always will - be it EA, 2k, SCEA - there will never be a perfect sports game), I don't want them to affect other parts of the game like progression. That's why I like the current system that's in place.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #184
All Star

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
If Patrick Turner is doing well, his catching, route running, catch in traffic and ability to beat press coverage etc don't get better because he is doing well. The way it would really happen is his catching, route running, etc go up first and that is what would cause him to do well

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »