Home

Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

This is a discussion on Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
ESBC Roster - The Best We've Ever Seen in a Boxing Game?
PES 2021 Team Spirit Guide - Understand Chemistry on a New Level
MLB The Show 21 Diamond Dynasty Budget Beasts
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 09-06-2009, 11:40 PM   #249
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
Remember Madden 2006 for XBOX, with Donovan McNabb on the cover? That game had perfect progression.

-Making a run in the playoffs would progress your players. Makes perfect sense, playoff experience.

I remember I would use the Cardinals and start 65 overall rated John Navarre. I played on All-Madden and threw 31 TDs and 34 INTs while going 15-1 (won 6 games by one FG). Navarre progressed up to a 72 OVR and then after the playoffs progressed to a 75 OVR. The next year I had 38 TDs and 14 INTs and he finished the year at 89 OVR after the Super Bowl. NOW THAT WAS PERFECT PROGRESSION.
No THAT was totally unrealistic and rigged.

If doing well in a playoff run and making plays in a Super Bowl meant a player should progress dramatically then Trent Dilfer should be in the HOF by now, David Tyree wouldn't have been cut yesterday, and Freddie Mitchell and Todd Pinkston should be studs! ALL of them had some BIG playoff runs and SB performances...then what???? Back to sucking.

Madden's old progression was TOTALLY predictable and EASY to manipulate...which makes the game boring and unrealistic.

This year is the first time that (IF YOU'RE PLAYING ON A CHALLENGING DIFFICULTY/SLIDER SETTING) your players play like their rankings. You can't just run a 67 OVR HB out there, get him a couple TD's in the super bowl and watch him jump 10 points. Some players should never progress, even after a few big games.

Madden got realism right this year. The potentail caps and progression are realistic. No more rigging progression by force feeding players TD's/yards to progress them.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #250
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

if you don't like the players progression rating do the roster edit trick and then start a franchise. You CAN see if you can make Colt Brennan a stud.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:13 AM   #251
All Star

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

With progression like it was in 06, it would be impossible to draft someone and groom them to be a starter in the future. Look at what the Packers did with Aaron Rodgers, he sat for three years before he started a game. Now imagine drafting a guy and him not starting a game his first three years, he would have hardly progressed at all and you would be better off waiting to draft guys until you are desperate for someone to fill in and play them as rookies
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2009, 12:36 AM   #252
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
With progression like it was in 06, it would be impossible to draft someone and groom them to be a starter in the future. Look at what the Packers did with Aaron Rodgers, he sat for three years before he started a game. Now imagine drafting a guy and him not starting a game his first three years, he would have hardly progressed at all and you would be better off waiting to draft guys until you are desperate for someone to fill in and play them as rookies
Thats what the training camp drills and preseason was for,damn,I really miss those drills.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:37 AM   #253
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebuttababy11
Thats what the training camp drills and preseason was for,damn,I really miss those drills.
Yea those were excellent. Really allowed you to groom younger players.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #254
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
I think the ultimate compromise would be having having the option to also have progression like they did in Madden 06. And I'm not sure what you mean by saying every player would reach 99 in all his stats because that never even came close to happening in Madden 06. Did you ever play it? The only thing that would really progress a lot was awareness if your team did well in the playoffs/super bowl, and if your player was young and playing well his other stats would increase to.
In the HC system, players only decreased in their real stats if they were getting older. Their performance had little to do with their real stats like awareness, throw power, ect ect(only effected how quickly they would grow if they had a good coaching staff and ev en then a player could perform great and progress slowly with a bad caoching staff and grow quickly even if he performed poorly but under a great coaching staff). Their overall grade was determined by their performance and a variety of their other skills and the team's philosophy(cover two system, 3-4 type players ect ect)

That meant if a player performed well during the season then his overall would increase and therefore the team would have to pay him more to keep him. On the other hand if he did not perform his overall would drop but either way all his real stats that matter(awareness, throw power, ect ect) would remain the same and teams could get him for somewhat less after a bad year.

Because players real stats(awareness ect ect) only grow with time because of playing time, training, and coaching staffs ability, that would mean every single player would grow to have 99 in all of his stats without a potential cap system.

Like many others have said, M06 was far from perfect and it was indeed seriously flawed. The only flaw about a HC like progression system is that people have to have a potential rating to prevent the league's starters from growing to 99s. Many people find that having potential is required to try and reflect the NFL.

Now I ask you again. If they were to allow you do edit potential before and during a franchise...Would that be a fair compromise?

Honestly, the fact that you have avoided even trying to answer it leads me to believe that all you care about is making and seeing players who put up good numbers become the next superstars in the league. This is as far from realistic as you can get with progression.

I could list of dozens of players who are the best in the league that perform stat wise at a low level. If a CB is any good a QB will not throw to his side. 3-4 defensive linemen normally dont produce stats that high. Great 4-3 linemen will often get double teams all game long and put up fewer stats then others. Good Running backs with poor offensive lines. Good QBs with poor receivers. Good WRs/TEs with poor QBs. In all of those situations, players will "under perform" but for their situation they are excelling. In a PBP system any of those players would not progress at all.

This does not even bring into light players who overproduce because they are in a good situation. Bad QBs who put up great numbers because of amazing WRs and plays against poor pass defenses. Bad RBs who have great offensive lines and play against poor run defenses. Bad CBs that cant cover but have good pass rush going for them and can catch. D linemen who have other great linemen on the line that get double teams leaving the bad Dline one on one to try and get the sack.

In M06 all of the above players would not have progressed accordingly to how the real NFL is. The best of the best would have remained the same/digressed as scrubs and the bad players of the NFL would have become the superstars. How does that make any logical sense?

It comes back down to the simple question again. Is getting rid of all the bad things from a M06 system worth making it so X player has X potential?

It is about compromise. In this sense, we know that real life players are never going to be properly rated. BUT is it fair to make a system that is completely non sim and unrealistic progression system to make it so you can make any player you deem worthy a superstar. Compared to having a system that may have a COUPLE of players off on their potentials and would not be properly rated in the game but would match realistically how players IRL progress.

Madden is trying to move towards a simulation direction. If they claim they are authentic to the NFL but keep a PBP system they are not only lieing but they are being hypocrites because that is as far from authentic to the NFL as you can get.

As a whole this argument is at a close. You have made several threads about X player having X potential already in the game and you think it is wrong. You then say his potential should increase because he puts up good numbers. You obviously only care about a PBP system with no potential. You may say otherwise but you are describing exactly to a T a PBP system with no potential. I am finished with this debate.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:24 AM   #255
Banned

OVR: 11

Oh God,..madden 06 for the XBOX 360 was one of the worst video game football games of all time,....LOL.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2009, 02:04 AM   #256
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
In the HC system, players only decreased in their real stats if they were getting older. Their performance had little to do with their real stats like awareness, throw power, ect ect(only effected how quickly they would grow if they had a good coaching staff and ev en then a player could perform great and progress slowly with a bad caoching staff and grow quickly even if he performed poorly but under a great coaching staff). Their overall grade was determined by their performance and a variety of their other skills and the team's philosophy(cover two system, 3-4 type players ect ect)

That meant if a player performed well during the season then his overall would increase and therefore the team would have to pay him more to keep him. On the other hand if he did not perform his overall would drop but either way all his real stats that matter(awareness, throw power, ect ect) would remain the same and teams could get him for somewhat less after a bad year.

Because players real stats(awareness ect ect) only grow with time because of playing time, training, and coaching staffs ability, that would mean every single player would grow to have 99 in all of his stats without a potential cap system.

Like many others have said, M06 was far from perfect and it was indeed seriously flawed. The only flaw about a HC like progression system is that people have to have a potential rating to prevent the league's starters from growing to 99s. Many people find that having potential is required to try and reflect the NFL.

Now I ask you again. If they were to allow you do edit potential before and during a franchise...Would that be a fair compromise?

Honestly, the fact that you have avoided even trying to answer it leads me to believe that all you care about is making and seeing players who put up good numbers become the next superstars in the league. This is as far from realistic as you can get with progression.

I could list of dozens of players who are the best in the league that perform stat wise at a low level. If a CB is any good a QB will not throw to his side. 3-4 defensive linemen normally dont produce stats that high. Great 4-3 linemen will often get double teams all game long and put up fewer stats then others. Good Running backs with poor offensive lines. Good QBs with poor receivers. Good WRs/TEs with poor QBs. In all of those situations, players will "under perform" but for their situation they are excelling. In a PBP system any of those players would not progress at all.

This does not even bring into light players who overproduce because they are in a good situation. Bad QBs who put up great numbers because of amazing WRs and plays against poor pass defenses. Bad RBs who have great offensive lines and play against poor run defenses. Bad CBs that cant cover but have good pass rush going for them and can catch. D linemen who have other great linemen on the line that get double teams leaving the bad Dline one on one to try and get the sack.

In M06 all of the above players would not have progressed accordingly to how the real NFL is. The best of the best would have remained the same/digressed as scrubs and the bad players of the NFL would have become the superstars. How does that make any logical sense?

It comes back down to the simple question again. Is getting rid of all the bad things from a M06 system worth making it so X player has X potential?

It is about compromise. In this sense, we know that real life players are never going to be properly rated. BUT is it fair to make a system that is completely non sim and unrealistic progression system to make it so you can make any player you deem worthy a superstar. Compared to having a system that may have a COUPLE of players off on their potentials and would not be properly rated in the game but would match realistically how players IRL progress.

Madden is trying to move towards a simulation direction. If they claim they are authentic to the NFL but keep a PBP system they are not only lieing but they are being hypocrites because that is as far from authentic to the NFL as you can get.

As a whole this argument is at a close. You have made several threads about X player having X potential already in the game and you think it is wrong. You then say his potential should increase because he puts up good numbers. You obviously only care about a PBP system with no potential. You may say otherwise but you are describing exactly to a T a PBP system with no potential. I am finished with this debate.
Bingo, I don't like having a potential rating because it's setting franchise mode in stone. It's saying player X can become a star but player Y can't. It's too black and white, it's a system that's pre-determined, it's predicting the future. And I do think, that if there absolutely has to be a potential rating, it shouldn't be set in stone, it should be able to change based on performance. Really, this sums it up for me...

Madden 10 has pre-determined potential. I know who can become a star because it says "A" next to his name. I also know which players are completely pointless to use because it says "D" or "F" next to their name. In other words... I know how the league will look, I'm the best G.M. in the world, I can predict the future. For everyone crying about "sim", do you honestly think NFL general managers have a sheet telling them who will be a star on their team and who will be a bust? I start a franchise with the Redskins, first thing I see is Fred Davis and his "D" potential... Obviously I'm going to cut him and use the extra cap space to find someone who can actually become something in the league. Why? Because it's pre-determined that Fred Davis is a failure. My main point... It wasn't pre-determined in Madden 2006 and I liked that better.

I am truly sorry that I don't agree with you on how progression should work. But on the other hand I am extremely pleased that we have been able to discuss it rationally. I hold you in high regard, I enjoy reading your posts, even if I don't always agree

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »