Home

Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

This is a discussion on Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
ESBC Roster - The Best We've Ever Seen in a Boxing Game?
PES 2021 Team Spirit Guide - Understand Chemistry on a New Level
MLB The Show 21 Diamond Dynasty Budget Beasts
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 09-04-2009, 05:07 AM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
I guess they could all be 99 OVR if your whole team started at age 20 and you played on rookie with CPU sliders at 0, and won every game 300-0. But did you ever play Madden 06 for old gen? Only the elite players would get to 99 OVR. Navarre ended up capping for me at 89 OVR because after 28 years old he wouldn't progress anymore (even when putting up awesome numbers). It was actually quite a beautiful system...once again IN MY OPINION.
The trouble is that your system is too egalitarian. Not all players are created equal. I'm sorry, but it's true. The Panthers can throw the ball to Dwayne Jarrett 600 times next season, but that's not going to turn him into Steve Smith (have I used that line already?). Some players are just more talented than others, and your system has no way of capturing that.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:09 AM   #50
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Koalition
I think some rookies that you draft should have random degressions (i.e. Ryan Leaf). He was expected to be a top rated QB, but proved to be a bus in the NFL. There should be a catch to drafting a #1 draft pick (Robert Gallery, Rashaun Woods, Tim Couch, etc). i think the degress should happen after the 1st year, and then in his 2nd year using the degression, it would be up to the player (you) to bring him to that 85 overall.

say I draft a guy... 1st round QB Rocky Balboa. He is a 78 overall.. i do good with him passing for 3,331 yards 21 touchdowns, 18 interceptions. He suddenly degresses to a 77 or stays the same the next year. "Sophmore slump" - now this is where the actual progression would take place. I would have to prove the CPU wrong that he is an elite QB, so i put up good numbers... getting 3,500 yards 25 touchdowns and 8 interceptions and then the attributes begin to rise.

just throwin some ideas into the pool lol
You can't prove his ratings wrong. His ratings are what determines how well he plays. They are all that determine how well he plays. It is literally impossible for a player to outperform his ratings. It's like trying to outrun your shadow.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:09 AM   #51
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldude79
why dont you play on higher difficulty then? or..why dont the devs set up a solid simulation difficulty?
You dont get my point. I have been stating and shown examples of players who have performed IRL above what people think they could do only because of the situation they were in.

Do you think Brady's WRs from the past should have kept on progressing because they put up good numbers? No, they shouldnt because they had an amazing QB. Do you think that Dante Q.(QB) should be rated amazing because he was able to toss the ball up to Moss all the time? No he shouldnt because Moss makes any QB get 10+ TDs. Do you think Derrick Anderson should have improved because he had that one great season? No he shouldnt because he barely hit any of his WRs, they all were making outstanding catches and big plays for him making up for his poor accuracy.

Under PBP, all of those players would have become madden superstars and IRL they are complete bums.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2009, 05:11 AM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jip4
This phrase has no meaning in the context of the video game. You know exactly how much he's worth. If you have an 80 OVR QB, well, that's "his worth." He's not going to "show" you anything by going out there.

This phrase has no meaning in the context of real life. Players don't have a rating that we can look at and say "Oh, that's how good he is." Harrington always sucked, we just didn't know it yet.

And if I draft an 80 OVR QB and am paying him $20 million, I better put him in there (regardless of if he's ready or not). Otherwise, he'll just stay an 80 OVR QB, and I'll have lost out on a potential franchise QB, plus I'll be waaaay overpaying for an 80 OVR QB.
make it so rookies have a harder time adjusting and ratings and AWR mean more..but dont let one guy in an EA office have all the say in determining the kids future in all the franchises you play w/ that young QB

his AWR will go up as he rides the pine..plenty young QBs sit out their entire rookie year..it happens every year in the NFL...think, Carson Palmer, Brady Quinn

and if you want to throw him in there and take your chances...good luck it wont be easy, youre taking a big risk..just like the NFL..is that hard?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:12 AM   #53
Pro

OVR: 10

Ive not read the whole thread, but rather than starting something new (as the mods will close it) can I ask something about progression.

Someone mentioned that the potential grades A-F mean that is how we will see the player progress....

So for example A Potential and the chances are that player will be the next Joe Montana or Barry Sanders for example.

Where as a F Potential might as well go back to momma's farm and pick him some corn.

With the above in mind, IF I have an F rated running back in my team... I start him and I do well with him, say 1000 yds rushing or whatever a good season would be..... would he then not progress as well as a A rated potential player who either achieved the same stats and or worse than my F rated player?

If that is the case (which I hope its not) then players graded D-F are basically dead weights, if I cannot get their ratings higher just because their potential limits them and not what their achievements on the field reflect.

I am hoping someone will respond to say that potential is just a guide, but if the player does well he can progress just as good as any other player.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:13 AM   #54
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
You dont get my point. I have been stating and shown examples of players who have performed IRL above what people think they could do only because of the situation they were in.

Do you think Brady's WRs from the past should have kept on progressing because they put up good numbers? No, they shouldnt because they had an amazing QB. Do you think that Dante Q.(QB) should be rated amazing because he was able to toss the ball up to Moss all the time? No he shouldnt because Moss makes any QB get 10+ TDs. Do you think Derrick Anderson should have improved because he had that one great season? No he shouldnt because he barely hit any of his WRs, they all were making outstanding catches and big plays for him making up for his poor accuracy.

Under PBP, all of those players would have become madden superstars and IRL they are complete bums.
I will say that tooldude is right in that you might be making it sound like the problem is that PBP will make the game too easy. That is not the problem. The problem is that PBP makes the game not-sim. It turns it into an RPG.

I know you know this, but I just wanted to make it explicit.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:15 AM   #55
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roolz

If that is the case (which I hope its not) then players graded D-F are basically dead weights, if I cannot get their ratings higher just because their potential limits them and not what their achievements on the field reflect.
Yes, they are. It's sim. You don't think there are players like this in the NFL? The average NFL career is 2-3 years. Most players wash right out. And it's not because they didn't take advantage of their opportunity, and if they had they'd be superstars. It's because they're just not good enough.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2009, 05:16 AM   #56
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jip4
The trouble is that your system is too egalitarian. Not all players are created equal. I'm sorry, but it's true. The Panthers can throw the ball to Dwayne Jarrett 600 times next season, but that's not going to turn him into Steve Smith (have I used that line already?). Some players are just more talented than others, and your system has no way of capturing that.
I see what your saying, but what about players who made something of themselves, how do you reward Wes Welker and Hines Ward? Players that aren't the best athletes but worked hard to improve their hands and route running.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »