Home

How to permanently fix player progression/degression

This is a discussion on How to permanently fix player progression/degression within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2009, 01:44 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: How to permanently fix player progression/degression

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Never said ratings should be static. Where did you get that from? Said they shouldn't be performance based. Just because a guy had a good season, he's not a faster runner the next year.

Players progress based on various factors in real life, usually playing time, some naturally mature, some do none of the above and are near their ceiling when they hit the league,etc.
My bad for fabricating? lol
Yeah some ratings should be progressed based on performance like awareness(like that means something),accuracy(some guys just get it in the pros), even things like stiff arm and juke and truck(aka the R stick). Some should not be, speed, injury,height lol. I understand why you would say a rookie rated 72 ovr runs for 1200 but he is still 72 ovr. But doesn't experience count for anything? A player learns the speed of the game how to react etc etc as he plays, not that madden can represent that(yet). Tom Brady has an exceptionaly strong arm but he honestly didn't come out of college with that arm, and may not have had it to its peak when he won the first superbowl. Said gem draft pick came in as a scrub, showed up to play, won the job and continued to play, and know he is an amazing player(as much as I hate him).
Old 09-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Never said ratings should be static. Where did you get that from? Said they shouldn't be performance based. Just because a guy had a good season, he's not a faster runner the next year.

Players progress based on various factors in real life, usually playing time, some naturally mature, some do none of the above and are near their ceiling when they hit the league,etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
My bad for fabricating? lol
Yeah some ratings should be progressed based on performance like awareness(like that means something),accuracy(some guys just get it in the pros), even things like stiff arm and juke and truck(aka the R stick). Some should not be, speed, injury,height lol. I understand why you would say a rookie rated 72 ovr runs for 1200 but he is still 72 ovr. But doesn't experience count for anything? A player learns the speed of the game how to react etc etc as he plays, not that madden can represent that(yet). Tom Brady has an exceptionaly strong arm but he honestly didn't come out of college with that arm, and may not have had it to its peak when he won the first superbowl. Said gem draft pick came in as a scrub, showed up to play, won the job and continued to play, and know he is an amazing player(as much as I hate him).

ok i just wanted to say that speed rating can be effected by weight/athletism/muscle tone. as well as training maybe not effect it by much but still that has to be taken into account a lot of players loose or gain 5-25 pounds in a offseason normally to help increase there speed/quickness/agility(or if there gaining weight for more powers/strenght/break tackls) this is rating wise. however doing so has its negatives. loosing weight takes away trucking/strength/blocking. while gaining weights negatives are speed/agility/elusiveness etc
this should be concidered in madden but its not.

as for you guys saying that player statistics doesnt help there progression (or madden rating) ill just use a example
lets look at kurt warner

madden 08 rating - 80 age:36
nfl 07-08 stats
G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+
14 451 281 62.3 32.2 3,417 7.6 244.1 27 6.0 17 3.8 62 44 5 20

40+ Sck SckY Rate
5 20 140 89.8
--------------------------------------------------------------
madden 09 rating - 85 age:37 (+5 increase)
nfl 08-09 stats
16 598 401 67.1 37.4 4,583 7.7 286.4 30 5.0 14 2.3 79T 50

40+ Sck SckY Rate
79T 50 12 26 182 96.9

madden 10 rating = 95! age:38!

soo let me get this straight kurt warner who is 37 years old in the 08 09 season his great season he had and playoff's did not have anything to do with his overall rating going up +10 in madden 10?
maybe some other things should be included like playoff play and talent around a player (warner has 2 pro bowl receivers to throw to) but in general there is no other contributing factor of why his rating went up +10 in one year at that age? gimme a break guys

Last edited by SomeStrangeSin; 09-05-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeStrangeSin
ok i just wanted to say that speed rating can be effected by weight/athletism/muscle tone. as well as training maybe not effect it by much but still that has to be taken into account a lot of players loose or gain 5-25 pounds in a offseason normally to help increase there speed/quickness/agility(or if there gaining weight for more powers/strenght/break tackls) this is rating wise. however doing so has its negatives. loosing weight takes away trucking/strength/blocking. while gaining weights negatives are speed/agility/elusiveness etc
this should be concidered in madden but its not.

as for you guys saying that player statistics doesnt help there progression (or madden rating) ill just use a example
lets look at kurt warner

madden 08 rating - 80 age:36
nfl 07-08 stats
14 451 281 62.3 32.2 3,417 7.6 244.1 27 6.0 17 3.8 62 44 5 20

40+ Sck SckY Rate
5 20 140 89.8
madden 09 rating - 85 age:37 (+5 increase)
nfl 08-09 stats
16 598 401 67.1 37.4 4,583 7.7 286.4 30 5.0 14 2.3 79T 50

40+ Sck SckY Rate
79T 50 12 26 182 96.9

madden 10 rating = 95! age:38!

soo let me get this straight kurt warner who is 37 years old in the 08 09 season his great season he had and playoff's did not have anything to do with his overall rating going up +10 in madden 10?
maybe some other things should be included like playoff play and talent around a player (warner has 2 pro bowl receivers to throw to) but in general there is no other contributing factor of why his rating went up +10 in one year at that age? gimme a break guys
Base ratings for current players have absolutely nothing to do with future progression.

Look at a player like Randy Moss. The guy was awesome in Minnesota, then did nothing in Oakland, then sets records in New England. I'm not going to look up his actual ratings, but just consider the situation. How can you possibly use stats to determine that after a crappy season in Oakland, he's going to explode the next year? IT DOESN'T WORK.

With a stats-based progression system, he'd regress while in Oakland, then go to New England as a worse player. Madden's initial overall ratings are based on the previous year's production. That's wonderful. But it doesn't work for the future in franchise mode.

Decent player does good - gets higher rating... does better... gets higher rating... maxes out at 99's... no. Bad. You don't want that.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »