Home

Drag routes over the middle and throwing to the flats makes me feel guilty.

This is a discussion on Drag routes over the middle and throwing to the flats makes me feel guilty. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2009, 07:55 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: Drag routes over the middle and throwing to the flats makes me feel guilty.

There is no such thing as a generic realistic game. Everyones opinion is gonna be different on what is "realistic." If everyone set the game up to their definition of realistic we would have 30 million sets of sliders and skill levels.

At some point no matter where the games difficulty is set to you are gonna have to get your skill up to play at that level, then once you do THAT level will be "EASY" to you. Then you will be calling that unrealistic.

The best EA can do is get the match up's right and let the players playing effect how easy or hard, fake or realistic the game is.

The problem is the game does not allow the match up's to play out because you can do crazy stuff to negate all that. Being able to throw balls before WR's make their cut breaks the defense. It negates play good calling.

Oline/Dline play is confusing and chaotic

The DB's have to be cheated to play man defense. They run the routes better than the WR's.

Some of the plays dont work as expected. You have rampent warping and super leaps happening by the players.

With all this stuff going on how can anyone expect to find balance and a "realistic" game ? As soon as you tweak one setting you are breaking another.

In the end you ultimately have to learn how to game the game and just play it for what it is and hope you find some enjoyment in it.

Most of your better games are gonna come from playing people. If you expect the CPU to be consistently challenging, good luck.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #18
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

You know TombSong I don't know where to start when disagreeing with you here but in short let me say that playing against trusted humans will result in better games against the computer because humans can actually adapt. However, going online and playing randoms will always be worse than playing the computer. People like to use exploits to win rather than just play real football.

With custom sliders, and I agree that they take a while to hone in and tune, but once you have something nice there really isnt a need to change it.

A few important factors in getting the settings right for user play is how well your teams plays versus their settings. Should I throw 75+% with Tom Brady? Yes. What about with Shaun Hill of the 49ers? Not really. I know I have good sliders when the game "is easy" when I am NE but "is hard" when I am the Lions.

Pursuit angles make a huge difference in how this game is played. Now when you break a big play you have to go back and question why it happened. Chances are after you beat that second level of defenders [CBs and linebackers] the third and final level broke down and failed to limit your yards. A run that should have gained you 12 yards nets you 48 instead.

To me, one way of checking to see if the game is too easy is on 3rd downs. Are you converting a lot of 3rd downs? is the computer not converting them? Why or why not? Early on I found that the user was able to complete most of his passes, and a lot o them were 3rd down completions. Lowering the use catch and accuracy ratings help alleviate that problem. Also, on 3rd down I was often able to just run it up the gut and the only times I didn't get it was when I suffered from "treachery in the trenches." [where linemen and your FB ignore defenders letting them in the backfield to make and easy stop] By cranking up run blocking sliders but also leaving reaction time and block shedding at a reasonable level, now my guys block who they are supposed to, but they may fail that block and I will get brought down shy of the marker. Regarding the computer, I find that it tends to make bad choices with the football on 3rd down. It will make quick throws against bump and run effectively throwing the down away instead of what a the human player would do and wait out the bump and run and/or take a sack if pressure gets there. The computer will also throw the ball to players well shot of the 1s near the sideline and because the game has poor sideline awareness still they often step out and fail another 3rd down. Lastly, the computer at times will fixate on wanting to throw to one receiver no matter how covered he is and forgo a wide open TE or running back that is just sitting there on a curl waiting for the ball.

I don't know how to make the computer play better on 3rd downs, but by improving the computer's ability to run the ball against the user makes a huge difference. As long as the user doesn't take a lead greater than 7 going into the scond half the computer will continue to try and run the ball and stay with you.

Sadly, the play calling logic in this game feels a lot like the commentary logic. I know that when I am down by as little as 3 points late in the 3rd or at all in the 4th the commentary will constantly criticize me for calling any run plays. "Passing seems like a better decision at this point in the game Chris. [Chris chimes in now] Passing ALWAYS seems liek a beter idea to me [becasue he wasa WR in the NFL] but with the score the way it is, it's time ot put up to some points. Common offense let's pick it up here." Or another, "I understand you don't want to abandon the run, but at some point you are going to have to start picking up big yards and getting points on that score board." or, "Maybe they were trying to catch the defense off guard with that run, but eventually you are just going to have to give up on it."

That is so annoying because not only does it encourage bad play, but when it isn't even the 4th quarter yet, or becasue I play 15 minute quarters, there is a lot of time left in the game, I am trying to put a drive together and get some momentum and the whole time after every run I get those clips, it is enough to drive you mad. More so, I really think the game is programed to "think" that running the ball when down in the 3rd and 4th quarter is a bad thing. It is virtually told to go into 2minute mode when down in the second half regardless of how little it is down by or how much actually game is left to play. This in turn will result in 3 and outs, little time of possession because of incomplete passes, and even turn overs that further result in the user gaining and building momentum that leads to victory after victory.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #19
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
EDIT: maybe I misunderstood your post, it looked like you were saying that custom sliders meant you take away the skill needed to play the game, if that is not what you meant, then my bad .
No, no. I meant it no longer has a specific title. Its just a custom set. Not All-Pro or All-Madden. All-Madden and All-Pro are a specific setting in the sliders. Once you adjust it, its has become custom(Even if you just adjust CPU Skill). At least thats my interpretation. I'm not saying I'm right. Its just they way I see it.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #20
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Regarding the flats, I think I found something. I made a quick video to illustrate it:

Old 09-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Regarding the flats, I think I found something. I made a quick video to illustrate it:

Nice Video.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 4

Great video - it really gives me hope that the flat coverage can be patched when one sees how much the coverage logic differs depending on the type of route the RB is taking.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #23
Rookie

will12203's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker24
Nice Video.

awesome video man this is killing me online!!

great Buffalo Bills talk
http://boards.buffalobills.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

the official Madden 12 messageboard
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/forums/show/396.page

the official EA Sports World Video Site
http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/profile

gamertag: will12203
Old 09-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #24
Rookie

will12203's Arena

OVR: 8

EA please fix this ASAP its killing online!!

great Buffalo Bills talk
http://boards.buffalobills.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

the official Madden 12 messageboard
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/forums/show/396.page

the official EA Sports World Video Site
http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/profile

gamertag: will12203

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »