Home

Pretty Good Catch Video

This is a discussion on Pretty Good Catch Video within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 9
Pretty Good Catch Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TnLZQijoG0

Andre Johnson is a BEAST
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 15
Re: Pretty Good Catch Video

Nice, he's one of my favorite receivers.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 7

I hate to say it, but, this video serves to show just how bad the WR catching actually is in this game.

In real life, Johnson would have turned back towards the ball, jumped up and snagged it.

Unfortunately, due to the WR's being seriously nerfed in the game, he has to rely on catching a batted ball, which is all to common in the game.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBOO
I hate to say it, but, this video serves to show just how bad the WR catching actually is in this game.

In real life, Johnson would have turned back towards the ball, jumped up and snagged it.

Unfortunately, due to the WR's being seriously nerfed in the game, he has to rely on catching a batted ball, which is all to common in the game.
Ever notice it's an automatic first down if you have Calvin Johnson run the 10 yard route and turn around and stop, you just heave the ball up in the air and he outjumps everyone.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
Banned

(Just so you know, it is Andre Johnson of Texas, not Calvin Johnson of Detroit, although the same can be said of him as well. You should watch the video if you haven't yet.)

Definitely. He does this all the time, which is why he is already one of the best wideouts in the NFL.

Or do you mean in Madden?

Watch any real game and you will see just how sad the state of wideout play is in Madden. But, maybe you are happy with WR's not playing anything like they do in reality.

Seriously though, he is 6'5 and like 230 and is usually covered by a guy who is 5'10 and maybe 180. That is pretty much what the Texans did last year. Heave it up and let him get it, which he did.

Last edited by JMBOO; 09-10-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
MVP

I agree with jmboo about the wr play. The WR in real life would have turned around to catch that ball and so would have the DB. The DB doesn't even turn, he's not even really looking at the ball. Both would have turned to make a play on the ball in real life. It's sad.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBOO
(Just so you know, it is Andre Johnson of Texas, not Calvin Johnson of Detroit, although the same can be said of him as well. You should watch the video if you haven't yet.)

Definitely. He does this all the time, which is why he is already one of the best wideouts in the NFL.

Or do you mean in Madden?

Watch any real game and you will see just how sad the state of wideout play is in Madden. But, maybe you are happy with WR's not playing anything like they do in reality.

Seriously though, he is 6'5 and like 230 and is usually covered by a guy who is 5'10 and maybe 180. That is pretty much what the Texans did last year. Heave it up and let him get it, which he did.
Yea I know it's Andre Johnson, but I saw you had a Lions logo so I figured you would be extremely familiar with how Calvin plays in Madden.

And yea I was talking about in Madden how you can just hold up on the thumbstick and throw him a jump ball. Seems like 90% of the time it's automatic unless he's hit stick the right way.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #8
Banned

Yes, definitely should have mentioned the Terrible DB play as well, good call on that.

I get you. I was not sure if you had watched the video or not. But being a Lions fan, I have seen Calvin play a bit and they really do like to just throw it up high and he jumps up and gets it. I think he has like a 42" verticle along with being 6'5, and really great hands, so, I would say that it should translate to Madden in that respect. However, having had a plethora of QB's who have trouble getting the ball to him and a weak at best o-line make hard for the Lions to do this consistently.

And, I do see what you are saying, but really, if he had a QB that could stay upright long enough to get him a high ball like that, he would come down with it at least 90% of the time, especially in single coverage.

One thing I will say though from playing with the lions is that Johnson does drop a lot of easy ones and a lot of ones he would catch, so, I think it makes up for it overall.

Honestly, it is not the top notch receivers like the Johnson's, Fitz, Moss, etc that I have a problem with doing this, it is the guys like Bernard Berrian or Braylon "Stone Hands" Edwards who can come up with spectacular catch after spectacular catch when, in real life they struggle to make even routine catches.

And therein lies the truth about Madden for me, unfortunately. Even after all of the talk about how this and that was going to get fixed, there are still so many lingering problems and even regressions in gameplay in some areas that it makes it hard for me to really enjoy it for more than a game or 2 at a time.

Really, what the Madden team should do is fly up to EA Canada and talk with the NHL team. I honestly think it would help them iron out a lot of the issues that Madden has, since, that has been EA's best sports game for the past 2 years (the reigning 2x champ for sports games right now.) and is going to probably make it 3 in a row from what I have seen.

And to the OP, sorry about Hijacking your thread like this, but, this is one of the things that really frustrates me about this game and your video, while it is a sweet catch by your boy Andre, only serves to emphasize this.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »