Home

Madden needs a new throwing system

This is a discussion on Madden needs a new throwing system within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #33
MVP

hitstreak13's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Madden needs a new throwing system

I agree with Derk,

Vision cone was a great concept and didn't have a problem using it at all. The only bad thing is they forced you to use it if you played on All-Madden.

In current Maddens, you can start a rookie right away and can be pretty effecient. I remember in Madden 07 I drafted Brady Quinn in the 1st round and he had a 62 Awareness. Instead of putting him in there right away and suffer, I sat him out for a full year so I could increase his awareness during 2 years of minicamps and the pre-season games (went up to a 70).

I wish they could have done a better job with it though. It sucked having to press R2 and your reciever to lock on. Overall, the Vision Cone was superb imho and would like to see it back as an option for those who enjoyed it.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Koalition
the vision cone was a horrible idea and by the time you made the read with your own eyes, you would have to move that sluggish flashlight and really by the time u did that, you'd get sacked. it is like using four eyes to just spot a reciever. Our own eyes should be the eyes of the QB, not a flashlight.

X button would be to throw the ball at the player's position. The analog and its purpose would be to direct the ball to where you want that reciever to catch it. Holding down X and then flicking the analog to the right would lead the ball ahead of the reciever, where i would have to select the reciever and proceed the route and make the catch. Again, holding X would be a bullet once you let go - tapping would be a lop, and just pressing it would be a normal throw. QBs do not always throw the ball at their top speed everytime. You do not see the ball thrown 60MPH when it goes to the flats, if you did that it would be hard for the guy to catch it... but from a distance if you bullet it, yeah its good. my method allows 6 different places you can spot the ball.
You dont have to move the joystick to use the vision cone. All you had to do is hold left trigger and tap the recievers button I believe
Old 09-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #35
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Cone + Route Based Passing + Blocking Overhaul = best game ever

You have to remember that the cone gave the safeties something tangible to key on. Instead of programming them to cover everything (as they seem to be now) the could REACT based on where you had the cone.

Plus, swinging the cone and nailing a perfect pass with a terrible QB was pretty damn satisfying.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #36
MVP

hitstreak13's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
Cone + Route Based Passing + Blocking Overhaul = best game ever

You have to remember that the cone gave the safeties something tangible to key on. Instead of programming them to cover everything (as they seem to be now) the could REACT based on where you had the cone.

Plus, swinging the cone and nailing a perfect pass with a terrible QB was pretty damn satisfying.
LOL you said it. I remember in 1 season, my top 2 QB's were hurt and had to use John Navarre (lol) and his cone was non-existent. He started 5 games for me and went 2-3 which wasn't bad. The cone makes you change your gameplan. But because I had such a weak passer, I relied more on my running game than usual. I normally like to throw the ball 30+ times per game. Very satisfying indeed.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #37
Rookie

ridemooses's Arena

OVR: 8

I think it would be interesting if you had to aim the ball almost like a first person shooter. Maybe not quite the same, but the same idea. To get more power on a throw you would have to hold the receivers button and release it when you want to throw (the wind up). Obviously QB's with quicker releases would not require you to hold it as long but like Byron Leftwich's release is crazy and long so the timing it would take would be NUTS.

This is just one idea maybe not the best one but I think EA needs to put themselves out there more to make a truly groundbreaking and innovative NEW game. This is probably the biggest fault in Madden, auto-passing. It definitely needs to be user controlled!
Old 09-16-2009, 03:37 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 3

Kinda funny, I was thinking of overhauling the passing system myself after watching Monday Night Football. Steve Young was talking about JaMarcus Russell's tendency to lock eyes onto a particular receiver... that Russell does not look off the safety.

Like others have said, Madden's current passing system is simplistic and does not replicate the ever so important "look off" skill that elite quarterbacks possess (Brady, Brees, etc.).

The vision cone was an interesting concept. I did not like it myself for several reasons (too slow/mechanical... unrealistic that some QBs have bigger cones than others).

I propose a new passing system. It will be a 2-button/step process. After hiking the ball, you press the corresponding face button to lock (look) onto the receiver. To pass the ball, you press the right trigger/bumper button.

A couple features to make this passing system more dynamic. Velocity and lob passes will be dependent on the pressure of right trigger button (similar to how it is done now). To add a little flair, the strength and accuracy of the pass will be inspired based on the MVP baseball fielding throwing meter (debatable if this meter will be hidden or shown). QBs with quick releases will be able to "charge" up the meter faster than those with slow releases. If you throw across your body, QBs with lower arm strength and accuracy will suffer. Throwing across your body would also charge up the meter slightly slower due to momentum and the lack of setting one's feet. Of course QBs with gifted arm strength will have an advantage because the meter will not as affected as lesser skilled QBs.

With the lock on system, passes will be more on target if you sit in the pocket and lock on your receiver briefly before you throw. You also have the option to not lock on your receiver for a quick throw but it will be less accurate (you can throw without locking on by pressing the face button and right trigger simultaneously). For example, your QB is scrambling for his life and does not have the luxury to focus on his receiver... lesser skilled QBs will be more likely to be off-target. Heh, a good example of that would be Jay Cutler this past Monday Night. He was scrambling all over the place and randomly throwing the ball down field while not having a luxury to lock onto his receiver nor plant his feet.

You can look off the safety by pressing the corresponding receiver face button. At the snap, you lock onto the TE who is running a post route. You pump fake to him to draw the safety and then quickly lock onto your outside receiver to make the throw.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:51 AM   #39
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump
lol. People have been spoiled by "God view" for way too long.

just a quick response to this. 'god view' is not really 'god view'. even though the entire field is shown on your tv, your eyes dont look at it all at once. when im looking at a reciever on one side of the field, i cant see what my other reciever is doing. i can see someone in the middle of the field out of the corner of my eye sometimes. i think this is pretty realistic, and it would be redundant to have something in the game to mimic what your eyes are already doing. no need to overhaul the passing mechanic, imo.

having said that, i would be okay with bringing back the vision cone. i do like the fact that it gets smaller for qbs with lower awareness, and some of us really do need to be given a reason to sit that rookie qb with low awareness for a season or two.

and about getting rid of the ball...you can do the equivalent of peyton manning throwing it at a recievers feet. just fire a high bullet pass (push the LS up when throwing). itll either be uncatchable or it will be batted down, assuming you dont have your INT sliders set at 100.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:21 AM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 2

Ok, I had to sign up here to give my thoughts on this cause I agree the passing system needs to be re-done, it's been fun to use but it's gotten a bit stale. I've been playing Madden since the 2001 version (the game that got me into the NFL & the New England Patriots) & it hasn't changed at all really. I want to see something that involves a bit more measuring of passes rather than just pressing a button.

I thought the vision cone was a great idea & personally loved it but I can see why a lot of people didn't. I always used the right stick to roll the cone across the field rather than 'locking on' to a receiver.

Anyway, my new system is basically FIFA's passing system mixed in with the old vision cone. For example (ps3 controls), after the ball is snapped QB drops back & the vision cone is set to lock onto a receiver determined at the LOS or just upfield. The right stick is used to roll the cone left/right (& even up/down field maybe), left stick to shift around in the pocket & R2 to scramble. Then you hold down a button & a power meter appears. Have the meter divided up into 5 parts to help with measuring the pass. The left stick is used to direct the pass towards the receiver but the aiming bit only starts when you start winding up to throw so you can still run around & avoid defenders.

The way I'd have it as the X button is a bullet pass (each section = 10yds for a max of 50yds at full power for 99THP) with the TRIANGLE as a lob pass (15yds per section with max being a hail mary). This system can let you throw the ball away high or low.

I'm sure that it could be refined somehow (i.e. including the SQUARE or O buttons but I'm not sure).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »