Home

How I Learned To Run In Madden 10

This is a discussion on How I Learned To Run In Madden 10 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
Rookie

don28's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: How I Learned To Run In Madden 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalutationsNJ
R u guys serious? Wow, but aggressive doesn't always work. use that against the blitz. I honestly thought everybody knew that already, no offense 2 any1 but wowwwwww
Nothing always works. But calling aggressive and having a run stuffed by a blitz is reality. When gaining 2 yards is comparable to a fight to the death without aggressive slide protection, I'll stick to calling aggressive more times than not.

I want to run the football. If that means calling aggressive slide protection, so be it. Sometimes I'll get burned, sometimes I'll gain good yardage, and once in a while I will rip off a long run.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 2

Aggresive causes your line to fire out and get on their blocks. Slide protection works for run plays.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:02 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 6

Before I get started you must know it is absolutely a MUST to NOT use sprint at the start of a running play especially inside running plays. The slower you move in the beginning the easier it is for your OLine to know who to block.

Slide protect absolutely helps on running plays. I have been using this for about 2-3 weeks now and my running game has gone from a 30-40 ypg average to a 50-90 ypg average online with 5 min acc clock.

This is how I am using it:

Slide left or right to seal the outside end on runs to the outside. ie. if I'm running a stretch play to the right I will slide protect left. This will make the strong side TE turn and try and seal the LE or SAM. I say try b/c if you have a weak run blocking TE your results will vary.

Also, your WR on the strong side will make a very conscious effort to cut the DB or push him to the inside giving you a clear path up the sideline. Sometimes I motion the slot inside, hike the ball as he approaches the outside defender to get better results on a seal block. When doing this I've even seen the smaller WR cut block a bigger stronger LB giving me a big gain.

The bad with using this is, if the LE or SAM beats your T or TE you will be dropped in the back field for a nice loss. If the DLine slides outside your TE and slants to the strong side of the play is over before it even started.

I am experimenting with using it on inside runs now and have found no benefits as of yet.

Aggressive blocking your OLine on inside running plays will make your oline get a good push up the middle. I use it on Dives and Zone run plays when the Dline is not pinched. Aggressive run blocking is used best short yardage running plays. QB sneaks and FB dives are when I use it most.

Out of all the blocking schemes the results on this one varies the most. I think that's because you don't know what the DLine is doing. If they're running a stunt or blitzing a LB and dropping a DT in coverage the oline AI can get screwed up trying to find who to block.

I've seen aggressive blocking work best when the D is in a regular zone (cov2 cov3) with man on man DLine rushing. The negative on using aggressive blocking is that it's easier for the D to get into the gaps and blow up a inside running play.

Pinch Oline blocking is used on draws and when you know the D is blitzing up the middle. I use this the least out of all the blocking schemes because I don't run draw's all that often. You have a better chance of picking up A gap blitzers using the pinch but results really depend on how well your guard, center, guard combination is compared to the DT, NG, DT. I am experimenting now on pinching my oline and call a inside run play and try and bounce it to the outside.

I recommend going into practice mode and trying out everything above with your favorite team. Make note of you best run blockers and favor that side when calling running plays.

Keep this in mind as well, it's very important to know when your Oline is rested and the DLine is not. This can make the difference of a 2-3 yard gain to a 30-40 yard gain near the end of the game. The right run play called at the right time with a rested Oline and RB using slide protect will equal very big gains!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2009, 10:33 PM   #12
Rookie

don28's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by datruth
Before I get started you must know it is absolutely a MUST to NOT use sprint at the start of a running play especially inside running plays. The slower you move in the beginning the easier it is for your OLine to know who to block.

Slide protect absolutely helps on running plays. I have been using this for about 2-3 weeks now and my running game has gone from a 30-40 ypg average to a 50-90 ypg average online with 5 min acc clock.

This is how I am using it:

Slide left or right to seal the outside end on runs to the outside. ie. if I'm running a stretch play to the right I will slide protect left. This will make the strong side TE turn and try and seal the LE or SAM. I say try b/c if you have a weak run blocking TE your results will vary.

Also, your WR on the strong side will make a very conscious effort to cut the DB or push him to the inside giving you a clear path up the sideline. Sometimes I motion the slot inside, hike the ball as he approaches the outside defender to get better results on a seal block. When doing this I've even seen the smaller WR cut block a bigger stronger LB giving me a big gain.

The bad with using this is, if the LE or SAM beats your T or TE you will be dropped in the back field for a nice loss. If the DLine slides outside your TE and slants to the strong side of the play is over before it even started.

I am experimenting with using it on inside runs now and have found no benefits as of yet.

Aggressive blocking your OLine on inside running plays will make your oline get a good push up the middle. I use it on Dives and Zone run plays when the Dline is not pinched. Aggressive run blocking is used best short yardage running plays. QB sneaks and FB dives are when I use it most.

Out of all the blocking schemes the results on this one varies the most. I think that's because you don't know what the DLine is doing. If they're running a stunt or blitzing a LB and dropping a DT in coverage the oline AI can get screwed up trying to find who to block.

I've seen aggressive blocking work best when the D is in a regular zone (cov2 cov3) with man on man DLine rushing. The negative on using aggressive blocking is that it's easier for the D to get into the gaps and blow up a inside running play.

Pinch Oline blocking is used on draws and when you know the D is blitzing up the middle. I use this the least out of all the blocking schemes because I don't run draw's all that often. You have a better chance of picking up A gap blitzers using the pinch but results really depend on how well your guard, center, guard combination is compared to the DT, NG, DT. I am experimenting now on pinching my oline and call a inside run play and try and bounce it to the outside.

I recommend going into practice mode and trying out everything above with your favorite team. Make note of you best run blockers and favor that side when calling running plays.

Keep this in mind as well, it's very important to know when your Oline is rested and the DLine is not. This can make the difference of a 2-3 yard gain to a 30-40 yard gain near the end of the game. The right run play called at the right time with a rested Oline and RB using slide protect will equal very big gains!
Thank you. I now have a few more things to try out.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #13
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

shifting the left stick left and right or right and left quickly is more effective than right stick juke
Old 09-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #14
MVP

baseballsim's Arena

OVR: 6

Against a human opponent you do need to sprint more often, though.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:41 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by datruth
[u][b]
Slide left or right to seal the outside end on runs to the outside. ie. if I'm running a stretch play to the right I will slide protect left. This will make the strong side TE turn and try and seal the LE or SAM.
This doesn't make sense. The offensive players should automatically block in the proper direction according to the play called. If they don't, then that is just horrible game design.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2009, 12:49 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Not seeing this...at all. Tried running both passes and runs in practice mode, with a defense and without. The effect is very noticeable on pass plays, even when there's no defense. You can watch as the entire line makes their first step in the direction you chose, and then goes into the awkward-looking blocking stance.

For running with no D, the only movement will be where players are required to pull for their block. Everyone else stands still, regardless of the protection you use.

With a defense, protection adjustments for passing are less noticeable, but still definitely there (they have to actually move to block a defender after taking that first step). I just don't see that in running. I see plays running as they were drawn up, with no quick initial movement as with passing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »