Home

Instant Replay Fans - Assemble!

This is a discussion on Instant Replay Fans - Assemble! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 18
Instant Replay Fans - Assemble!

I havent seen a thread dedicated to Instant Replays and the problems associated with them in Madden 10. Im a big fan of replays that capture the telecast fidelity of a real game. After watching week 1 in the real NFL and seeing that on almost EVERY play there are replays and analysis, it really hit home that Madden needs to address this area promptly.

Issue #1. Not nearly enough replays. There are only a handful of situations that garner a replay in Madden 10. I have yet to see one for a touchdown. Id like to see replays for all TDs, big gains, spectacular catches, 3rd/4th down conversions, close plays, big hits, etc. - like you would see in a real broadcast.

Issue #2. Abbreviated highlights. Why are many of Madden 10s highlights so short and/or cut off? I would like to see the entire play from start to finish.

Issue #3. Challenge replays are challenging. Why are booth review highlights shown from the strangest, furthest, most un-usable angles? Seeing a fumble from 50 yards away doesnt help much. Can these be tightened up? Instead of a random camera angle that shows nothing use a "smart" angle that shows something.

Please feel free to heir your grievances in a positive and constructive way so that we can get this key presentation feature tuned to behave more like you'd see it on TV. If you guys have other Instant Replay questions, concerns or comments (positive or negative), lets get them out in the open. Im hoping this thread will become a constructive front to get Instant Replays working again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Instant Replay Fans - Assemble!

The replay system in 2k5 was the best. Tons of highlights and when you challenged a play you had a list of things that you could challenge. If they got the presentation down like that madden would make a huge leap forward.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

You do realize that while we're seeing replays on TV, the teams are in the huddle calling their plays, right?

If you're going to call the play... well, do the math.

Unless you want to artificially make the games longer by having no time run during replays, or deal with less time on the playclock because you'd rather watch the play again... you're not going to have the number of replays of a real broadcast.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
You do realize that while we're seeing replays on TV, the teams are in the huddle calling their plays, right?

If you're going to call the play... well, do the math.

Unless you want to artificially make the games longer by having no time run during replays, or deal with less time on the playclock because you'd rather watch the play again... you're not going to have the number of replays of a real broadcast.
True, but this year's Madden in particular has avoided showing instant replay on plays that deserve or demand to be replayed. The complete absence of TD replays, slow-motion close plays, conversions and the like are mind-boggling IMO. I understand that not everyone likes watching replays - nor cares about true TV style presentation, but many of us do. Perhaps the answer is an update to the Instant Replay or Presentation slider in the menu options (Replays: NONE - FEW - MANY - ALL) or something like that. I personally want to see a lot of replays (like we see on TV) even if that means longer games. Madden has such a great graphics engine and I love seeing closeup replays that show off how good this game can look - just like the cutscenes do.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Completely agree. This is my main gripe with the game and I am crossing my fingers it can be patched to some extent.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Glory to the Brave!

Guffers's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith
Completely agree. This is my main gripe with the game and I am crossing my fingers it can be patched to some extent.
It drives me nuts that EA Football is so allergic to auto replays. They have done a great job adding presentation this year but without replays on scoring and big plays it still feels somewhat stale and lifeless. It smarts even more because we were told this was fixed months ago and its absolutely not. Ian's video response was greatly appreciated but didn't exactly fill me with hope that this would be patched properly or at all. Fingers crossed. If they do manage to fix this then the presentation will go from good to great in one fell swoop.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
Banned

Tarheel's Arena

OVR: 38

Replays, highlights, etc., I would like to see enhanceents in all these areas. In the event that we catch Ian's attention, we may want to provide some samples of what you want.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
Banned

2krules's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnprestonevans
I havent seen a thread dedicated to Instant Replays and the problems associated with them in Madden 10. Im a big fan of replays that capture the telecast fidelity of a real game. After watching week 1 in the real NFL and seeing that on almost EVERY play there are replays and analysis, it really hit home that Madden needs to address this area promptly.

Issue #1. Not nearly enough replays. There are only a handful of situations that garner a replay in Madden 10. I have yet to see one for a touchdown. Id like to see replays for all TDs, big gains, spectacular catches, 3rd/4th down conversions, close plays, big hits, etc. - like you would see in a real broadcast.

Issue #2. Abbreviated highlights. Why are many of Madden 10s highlights so short and/or cut off? I would like to see the entire play from start to finish.

Issue #3. Challenge replays are challenging. Why are booth review highlights shown from the strangest, furthest, most un-usable angles? Seeing a fumble from 50 yards away doesnt help much. Can these be tightened up? Instead of a random camera angle that shows nothing use a "smart" angle that shows something.

Please feel free to heir your grievances in a positive and constructive way so that we can get this key presentation feature tuned to behave more like you'd see it on TV. If you guys have other Instant Replay questions, concerns or comments (positive or negative), lets get them out in the open. Im hoping this thread will become a constructive front to get Instant Replays working again.
I'm sorry but I think we're just spinning our wheels on this one. Yes, it's a big issue, but there have been several threads about it.
Ian from EA's answer is that they are working for a fix on the issue for the 2nd patch, but if they don't get it done, it's a "bummer".

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »