Home

Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
CPU AI

Anyone hear anything regarding improvements to the CPU AI?

I thought we could use this thread to describe all of the problems we see in game regarding CPU AI decision making. Here are mine based on a lot of games:

1. Punting AI...if punting in the no man's land between say the 50 and 35 yard line (too far for a FG), the CPU usually just kicks the ball straight into the end zone for a touchback. Most times in the NFL the punter will kick for the corner or shorten the kick so that the other team starts inside the 10.

2. Its not always, but I have seen the CPU punt when he could kick a 40 or 45 yard FG. This never happens in the NFL unless a kicker is injured. My suggestion is that the CPU should always try a FG that is less than 50 yards.

3. 2 minute clock CPU (end of half and end of game)- the CPU seems to run a hurry up even though they have 3 time outs. There seems to no logic as to when to run the hurry up v. timeouts. This leads to either the CPU scoring way too soon leaving a ton of time for me to score or bad playcalling.

4. 2 minute clock CPU (end of half and end of game) - I have seen games where CPU runs...calls a timeout...then runs again and calls a TO even though on its own 20 or 30 with a long way to go. Makes no sense.

5. 2 minute clock CPU (end of half and end of game) - CPU does not throw deep enough when down by say 10 or more with less than 2 minutes. I have seen a lot of dink and dunk passes when they need major yardage.

6. 2 minute clock CPU (end of half) - CPU is in a good position to potentially get a FG say on the 50...it lets clock run down and does not try to get FG.

My two cents is that the CPU AI fixes are as important as the other fixes suggested. The player can basically have a huge advantage on game management and win games due to this poor CPU AI. This is basic football stuff...Please add your thoughts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: CPU AI

I see 1 and 6 a lot, 2 not as much as last year 3 and 4 fairly often, but they are sometime setting up a big play and 5 I only see when we are playing good coverage downfield OR getting a heavy pass rush...

#6 in particular cost the cowboys a shot at beating me in OT for a shot at the super bowl...real shame cause it was a especially good game and they drove to the 20 in 40 seconds or so and had a good 5 seconds at the line to spike the ball (they had no time outs but had been effectively stopping the clock via spikes during that drive) but they all just go there, and stood there while the clock ran down

just to add something
has anyone seen a wind greater than 3mph?
Old 09-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: CPU AI

Yea I get 20 MPH winds in DC. But has anyone noticed the scripted weather. i have started franchises over and over with the new roster updates and new sliders, and every single time I do I get the same weather in every single game of my season. The Pro Bowl is also always 64-69 degrees and raining.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »