Home

The Great Madden Muppet Caper (aka, Madden as Nostradamus)

This is a discussion on The Great Madden Muppet Caper (aka, Madden as Nostradamus) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #73
I bent my Wookiee!

alifeincomplete's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: The Great Madden Muppet Caper (aka, Madden as Nostradamus)

Old 01-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #74
I bent my Wookiee!

alifeincomplete's Arena

While personally disappointing to see the Chargers fall to the effing Jets, Madden did call it. MaddeNostra was undefeated in the divisional round and is 6-2 in the postseason.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #75
I bent my Wookiee!

alifeincomplete's Arena

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #76
I bent my Wookiee!

alifeincomplete's Arena

Old 01-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #77
I bent my Wookiee!

alifeincomplete's Arena

I've never been happier to be wrong on the predictions, haha. Madden missed this one by a wide mark and severely underestimated the Saints! MaddeNostra is 7-3 for the postseason. I want to get ensure accuracy and confidence in the Super Bowl prediction so I'm going to re-evaluate the way the sim series (perhaps put it through a 25-game series or more!). We'll see.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:19 AM   #78
I bent my Wookiee!

alifeincomplete's Arena

First-time Super Bowl teams are 7-19.
The New Orleans Saints are reaching the Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history. While this is something for the team and the city to celebrate, the odds of winning are not in their favor. The Packers, Jets, Chiefs, Steelers, 49ers, Giants, and Buccaneers are the only teams to win the Super Bowl in their first appearance. The Chiefs, Raiders, Colts, Vikings, Cowboys, Dolphins, Redskins, Broncos, Rams, Eagles, Bengals, Patriots, Bills, Chargers, Falcons, Titans, Panthers, Seahawks, and the Cardinals all lost in their first appearances.

First-time, one-time Super Bowl teams are 2-5

The San Diego Chargers, a team that’s been in the league for over fifty years, were demolished in their lone Super Bowl visit, 49-26 by Steve Young’s San Francisco 49ers. The Atlanta Falcons, despite an unbelievable performance in the NFC Championship against the 15-1 Minnesota Vikings, were beat by John Elway and the Denver Broncos, 34-19. The Carolina Panthers put together a strong postseason and reach the Super Bowl for the only time in their young history and narrowly lost to the New England Patriots in a shootout. The Seattle Seahawks – the number one seed in the NFC (which I’ll get to in a moment) – lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers (with some help from the referees…) lost. The Cardinals, the former laughing stock of the NFL that had a magical postseason run commanded by Kurt Warner, lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers last year in a football classic, 27-23.

The two winners?

The Baltimore Ravens, previously known as the Cleveland Browns, defeated the New York Giants in Super Bowl XXXV 34-7 to break the curse.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers – historic as a tomato can team in the league – became only the second team to buck the trend, destroying the top-seeded Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII, 48-21.
NFC is 3-6 this past decade; 23-20 all time

While the National Football Conference has historically been the superior team in the Super Bowl, it has not been the trend this past decade. Only three teams from the NFC won in the past nine Super Bowls: Rams, Buccaneers, and Giants. Giants, Rams, Panthers, Eagles, Seahawks, Bears, and Cardinals all lost.

Curse of Number One: 1-7 in the Super Bowl this past decade.

The Giants, Rams, Raiders, Eagles, Seahawks, Bears, and Patriots were all number one seeds in the playoffs and all lost. The only team to win as a number one seed this past decade was the St. Louis Rams, who defeated the Tennessee Titans 23-16. This isn’t applicable this season, however, because both the Colts and the Saints are the number one seeds of their respective conferences. Only twice have two top-seeds play one another with the first being Buffalo Bills vs. Washington Redskins in Super Bowl XXVI which Washington won 37-24. The last time this happened, sixteen years ago, was Super Bowl XXVIII, featuring the Buffalo Bills vs. Dallas Cowboys; Dallas won 30-13.

4-39

The Colts are the “home” team this year in the Super Bowl. Because the Super Bowl is held at a neutral site, the conferences trade which team is “home” and which is “away” to determine who wears what uniforms and who calls the coin toss. I’m not one to jump at black cats, but there are a lot of supposed sports curses—the curse of Bobby Layne, the Curse of the Pottsville Maroons, and the Curse of Buffalo Sports, to name a few—and here’s one for you: there are only four franchises in history to win the Super Bowl wearing their “home” uniforms: the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowls XIII and XXVII, the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl XVII, the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XXXVIII, and the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XL. Moreover, the Colts have a bit of a history with their “home” uniforms; the Colts are 2-0 in their road white jerseys, but 0-1 in their home blues. I’d opt to wear the white uniforms if I were Jim Caldwell…

Previous Experience

Peyton Manning has more wins in one decade than any quarterback in NFL history. His regular season win-loss record is a staggering 131-61. His postseason record is 9-8.

Drew Brees has not had the supporting cast of the Manning-led Colts for most of his career, and his win-loss record reflects that. His regular season record is 69-56. Brees is inexperienced in the postseason; against the Vikings, many people thought he looked star-struck and nervous. His postseason record is 3-1. He has never reached the Super Bowl in his career.

Playing in Miami…
Peyton Manning is 5-2 in Miami in his career, including one win in Super Bowl XLI. Drew Brees is 1-1 in Miami.

Previous Encounter
In Week 1 of the 2007 season, the Colts hosted the Saints at the RCA Dome—Drew Brees vs. Peyton Manning. The showdown wasn’t as epic as one would expect: Manning was 18/30, 288 yards, and 3TDs. Brees was 28 completions of 41 attempts for 192 yards and 2INTs. The Colts won in a blow out, 41-10.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:21 AM   #79
I bent my Wookiee!

alifeincomplete's Arena

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »