Home

WR Route Running

This is a discussion on WR Route Running within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 4
WR Route Running

I hate how no matter where the defensive back is positioned, the WR will always run the exact route that is called. Say for instance, a fly route. In real life, a WR will NOT run a STRAIGHT line for a fly route, he will put one or 2 moves on the DB. In madden, he will run straight, and not even try to run by the DB. Same for other routes. Watch Greg Jennings game winning catch, or Louis Murphys deep ball from Russell. These guys put great moves in their defenders, why dont they do this in Madden? They are stuck to the exact route that is called. lame.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2009, 01:30 AM   #2
Rookie

njmcfreak's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: WR Route Running

There are some routes that do some type of move, I think.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmcfreak
There are some routes that do some type of move, I think.
The ones that are out and up, I think. Problem is, there's really not enough time in the pocket for the QB to wait for that extra move before throwing....
Old 09-15-2009, 01:47 AM   #4
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaf112285
I hate how no matter where the defensive back is positioned, the WR will always run the exact route that is called. Say for instance, a fly route. In real life, a WR will NOT run a STRAIGHT line for a fly route, he will put one or 2 moves on the DB. In madden, he will run straight, and not even try to run by the DB. Same for other routes. Watch Greg Jennings game winning catch, or Louis Murphys deep ball from Russell. These guys put great moves in their defenders, why dont they do this in Madden? They are stuck to the exact route that is called. lame.
I agree. Most of the routes run in the NFL have other options built in anyway based off the coverages. Even if they route is supposed to be run as is, there still needs to be better WR/DB interaction where the WR adjusts a bit to try and get open.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:17 AM   #5
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

OVR: 18

I also think there should be mis-communications. If you watched the Packers-Bears game on Sunday night then you saw how much it can effect a game. 3 of Cutler's 4 INT's were from incorrectly run routes.

It might be annoying if it happens to much but maybe 2-5 times a game then I would enjoy the realism.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2009, 02:32 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox831
I also think there should be mis-communications. If you watched the Packers-Bears game on Sunday night then you saw how much it can effect a game. 3 of Cutler's 4 INT's were from incorrectly run routes.

It might be annoying if it happens to much but maybe 2-5 times a game then I would enjoy the realism.
Ooh, that'd be sweet! Esp. if rookie WR's and qb's couldn't "communicate" with each other! Not even that "other game" had this.....c'mon, EA, be the first!

Awesome idea!
Old 09-15-2009, 02:49 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 8

yea remember how the Madden creators said that they watched ne NFL game to see all the things that werent in Madden? maybe they should of watched more than 1 cause slot receivers are constantly option routes
Old 09-15-2009, 05:43 AM   #8
Rookie

BathSaints's Arena

OVR: 2

I am perpetually fed up of my WRs (and TEs) insistence to run about an inch behind any covering linebackers. About 20 foot between linebackers and safetys and because the route says go there they're oblivious.

As for the blown assignment idea I believe it was on Head Coach 09. Another one of the good ideas that seems to have been lost by Maddens naivity.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »