Home

Maddens legal battle starts today 09/14/2009!

This is a discussion on Maddens legal battle starts today 09/14/2009! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #25
Banned

2krules's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Maddens legal battle starts today 09/14/2009!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
2k at least seem to be paranoid that EA could sue them if they did that.
Heck, even EA is paranoid about that. Have you ever tried to make an NFL team on the Teambuilder site using an NFL team's logo? Deletion. So, I started making my own logos. That team was deleted too, for using "an NFL team name".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #26
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

In no way is this a monopoly. If you study the cases that brought on the "Monopoly Laws" in this country then you will see that EA has nothing more then a right to make a NFL game. Mr. Vanderbilt and Mr. Rockefeller were the poster boys of monopolies. They didn't just have the right to a product but they would buy out entire business that had anything to do with the original company. EA did not buy out ever game maker to be the only company to make a video game plus the companies to ship the game, and the stores to sell the game. That is not the case. If EA had some competition then that would make the game better but that may kill there sales so they did what any smart company with money would do, buy the rights. EA will not give up the rights to make the only NFL game due to it being the #1 sport in America.

The key thing I think NFL video game fans forget is we have the right to make your own choice to buy this game and we are not under contract to buy the game. So if you get so unhappy with the game then come August don't wait in line to buy the game or file a law suit. If you want to send a message then do so by not buying the game rather then post on a message board thinking it will make EA see they need to do something. They don't care what we have to say because the sale do the talking.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 29

Funny I rarely hear anyone complain about the lacking gameplay in 2K's Baseball games.

The EA Sports 2005 Series of Baseball and Football are among their best ever - they lost baseball to 2K and 2K destroyed it.

2K lost football and EA destroyed it.

The NFL has bigger things to worry about in the next few years than Madden Football. The CBA is going to be the main focus of every football fan.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by budsticky
I'm not sure what you mean by saying they will "win this court battle like always." Do you mean like every time somebody brings up a frivolous and pointless suit against them that has no basis in real world American law? Don't worry. This won't get near the point of even being a "court battle."

I also love this little snippet from this non-story:
"The exact grievance is spelled out in a 48-page transcript of a November 4, 2008 pre-trial hearing. Pecover's lawyer, Stuart Paynter, says gamers won't buy football games that don't carry the NFL brand and that EA has created an unfair market situation that drives up the cost of games. EA's lawyer, Daniel Wall, says the market is larger than Paynter paints it and that Percover's complaint isn't "even close" to a viable claim."

Can somebody please tell me exactly how EA's exclusivity deal with the NFL has driven up the cost of games? So I guess they are going to try and say that the 49.99 jump up to 59.99 when the next gen consoles came out was because of the EA/NFL deal? The more I read this the more the stupidity just jumps off the page. I can't let myself get worked up over this nonsense anymore. Time for bed. LOL.
My props to you I agree these lawsuits only lead to one thing a waste of time and money.In the end who pays for these lawsuits are the people that by the games.It cost a company 100s of thousands of dollars in legal fees.Well companies don't eat these they pass it on in form of cost cutting ie;quality or price increases.I am not saying somethings need to go to court and solved but cases like this are a waste of time and money.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:14 AM   #29
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
Funny I rarely hear anyone complain about the lacking gameplay in 2K's Baseball games.
I think because there's legitimate choice. MLB exclusivity isn't the same as the NFL/NCAA exclusivity. If you feel that 2K has destroyed baseball, you have a choice to purchase a PS3 and play what many say is the best baseball game ever in MLB the Show. In that regard it's not unlike playing a title that's exclusive to a console, like Halo, God of War, Zelda, etc. If that same option existed for the NFL/NCAA games, you wouldn't see the level of frustration you see now imo

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 09-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #30
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I think because there's legitimate choice. MLB exclusivity isn't the same as the NFL/NCAA exclusivity. If you feel that 2K has destroyed baseball, you have a choice to purchase a PS3 and play what many say is the best baseball game ever in MLB the Show. In that regard it's not unlike playing a title that's exclusive to a console, like Halo, God of War, Zelda, etc. If that same option existed for the NFL/NCAA games, you wouldn't see the level of frustration you see now imo
Personally, I own a 360. I don't feel it's a legitimate choice to spend $300 or $400 for one game, no matter how good it is. So, therefore, I am limited by my options and opportunities for a good baseball game.

The only thing I see different is that I have a personal choice to not purchase a PS3.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
It has nothing to do with buying another system you do have a choice .Don't buy the game play something else.Depending on how you play and your style alot of people enjoy the game and happen to like it.Me i prefer the choice to buyu or not to.I like college football but I don't enjoy the game so guess what I don't own it and I haven't for the past 3 years.Buying only supports the product complaining you are now part of the vocal few that rant and rave not the 1 million + that are fine with the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #32
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Personally, I own a 360. I don't feel it's a legitimate choice to spend $300 or $400 for one game, no matter how good it is. So, therefore, I am limited by my options and opportunities for a good baseball game.

The only thing I see different is that I have a personal choice to not purchase a PS3.
To go along with this - (and be a little off topic) I was going to get a PS3 until I found out they were launching at $600.

Now, 3-4 years later they are $300.... Too late.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »