Home

Maddens legal battle starts today 09/14/2009!

This is a discussion on Maddens legal battle starts today 09/14/2009! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #57
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Maddens legal battle starts today 09/14/2009!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm217
Regardless with sales of Madden dropping I wouldn't be surprised if when there exclusive license is up EA doesn't renew. It just will not make economic sense. They can still sell the same amount of copies even with competition. Good economic sense could prevail on EA's part in 2012. Imagine how much better Madden would be if all that exclusive license money all 500 million or so, went into making a new Madden engine. Only time will tell if Madden and EA will come to there senses and realize they overestimated how many more copies of Madden they could sell with no competition.
It would be intersting to know how the exclusive deal impacted their total sales. The joke may have ultimately been on EA if they didn't get their 500 million $ back in increased sales.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Regardless with sales of Madden dropping I wouldn't be surprised if when there exclusive license is up EA doesn't renew. It just will not make economic sense. They can still sell the same amount of copies even with competition. Good economic sense could prevail on EA's part in 2012. Imagine how much better Madden would be if all that exclusive license money all 500 million or so, went into making a new Madden engine. Only time will tell if Madden and EA will come to there senses and realize they overestimated how many more copies of Madden they could sell with no competition.
I don't know about that. I know a lot of people who is fed up with madden and most of them don't even purchase the game anymore. And the ones that do buy, only buy it because it's the only NFL football available, and they usually get the game off of ebay or craigslist when someone is selling a used copy for cheap.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #59
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Again, that's your choice. It comes down to what's most important to the individual. I own a 360 and a PS3 and barely touch the PS3 - but it was worth getting while it was on sale ($316 at the time) and for blu-ray. It was worth it to me. I'm not going to sit back and complain that I can't play God of War or play blu-rays on the 360.

With the football games you don't have a choice - it's either play [Madden/NCAA] or don't play. If 2K had full exclusivity and there was no The Show, I'm sure 2K would be getting the full brunt of baseball gamers frustrations, as Madden/NCAA should be getting the full brunt of football gamers frustrations. If baseball is that important to you and you feel MLB2K is that bad, you'd likely choose to purchase a PS3. If 989 were making a great football game and it was only available on the PS3, I'm sure you'd see a lot more people purchasing a PS3 and playing a great football game than complaining that they shouldn't have to purchase a PS3 and pouting on their 360.

Either way, the key is choice imo. If there was only the 360 to choose from, I'm sure you'd see a lot more people speaking out on the hardware failures if they were dissatisfied with Microsoft's support. As it is, as a consumer you have the choice to either put up with it or take their business elsewhere and buy a PS3 or Wii. If you don't like Windows, you can buy a Mac. If you don't like McDonalds you can go to Burger King. If you don't like NBA2K, you can buy Live or 989's basketball game. If you don't like MLB2K, you can get The Show. If you don't like Madden/NCAA, you don't have a choice to move on to something else.

EDIT: just wanted to add that I'm not arguing against the NFL's right to do what it wants with it's IP. Just was explaining my opinion on why there's the level of frustration w/the baseball games versus the football games
I get your point, but I think you are forgetting other areas of restrictive choices that would derail the thread if I went into it.

Your point is well taken and well explained, but EA and the NFL aren't the only entities in the US with restrictive choices.(which is frustrating for me as well)

And for me, personally, yeah it's a pain that The Show isn't on the 360. It's not enough of a pain to shell out money for one game, though. Yes, it's a personal choice for me, but it's also very frustrating to be somewhat restricted for baseball as well.(agree less restrictive than football, but none the less, still frustrating)
Old 09-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #60
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Try looking up the LEGAL definition, not the one that's used in every day speech, eh? There's a bit of a difference.
Ask and you shall receive...not much difference, my friend. From Law.com:

"monopoly
n. a business or inter-related group of businesses which controls so much of the production or sale of a product or kind of product as to control the market, including prices and distribution. Business practices, combinations and/or acquisitions which tend to create a monopoly may violate various federal statutes which regulate or prohibit business trusts and monopolies or prohibit restraint of trade. However, limited monopolies granted by a manufacturer to a wholesaler in a particular area are usually legal, since they are like "licenses." Public utilities such as electric, gas and water companies may also hold a monopoly in a particular geographic area since it is the only practical way to provide the public service, and they are regulated by state public utility commissions."

http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=1275
Old 09-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #61
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactiveman
It would be intersting to know how the exclusive deal impacted their total sales. The joke may have ultimately been on EA if they didn't get their 500 million $ back in increased sales.
Exactly and the ironic thing is Madden was selling just as well if not better before the exclusive deal went into effect. Somebody has yolk on there face.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #62
Banned

OVR: 21

Adem....this one's for you:

monopoly
[me-'nä-pe-le]

pl: -lies

1: exclusive control of a particular market that is marked by the power to control prices and exclude competition and that esp. is developed willfully rather than as the result of superior products or skill
(see also antitrust Sherman Antitrust Act in the Important Laws section)

http://dictionary.lp.findlaw.com/scr...eec61f923bec40
Old 09-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #63
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Exactly and the ironic thing is Madden was selling just as well if not better before the exclusive deal went into effect. Somebody has yolk on there face.
I think EA imagined it could expand the football videogaming buying market with there expertise in advertising and getting the casual fan to buy there game. They most likely thought and imagined selling in the range of 7 million copies on a yearly bases. They were in the 5 million range last generation. Well it didn't quite end up that way and the buying public realized that the incremental yearly updates was not worth the $60 investment especially when EA started off this generation by stripping features.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #64
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by budsticky
But they don't have a monopoly on football games. If they did there would have never been an APF2k8, or Blitz: The League, or a game like Backbreaker in development. They have a competitive advantage. They don't have a monopoly. I have to extract myself from this thread before I lose it. LOL.
And that's the argument. The plaintiff is saying that since games like APF2k8 doesn't have the NFL license, the game won't sell. You can pull up thousands of threads on this board where people say, I only play madden because it's the only NFL game on the market, or I'm not going to buy APF2k8 or Backbreaker because it don't have the NFL license. You can't deny that.

And I meant to say the lawsuit is about EA having a monopoly on license football video games.

Last edited by Bump101; 09-15-2009 at 01:34 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »