Home

How do you personally play defense?

This is a discussion on How do you personally play defense? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: How do you personally play defense?

poorly
Old 09-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #18
Rookie

asterisk's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianwei32
I used to be able to get a good number of sacks using the "dive at the QB so he can't throw as he's being hit" trick, but recently every time I try it my DE falls straight to the ground, even if he's right next to the QB, he just goes straight down and misses the sack (I'm using "Super" Mario Williams no less).
This happens to me sometimes too. Half the time I press X, I turn into a human missile and crush the QB. The other half, I kind of just lay down in front of the QB. Haven't figured out when it works yet...
Old 09-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 8

I mainly play on the DL because letting the ai control each pass rusher is next to useless. If they actually fix this one year then I'd probably play a safety most of the time for the very same reason you mentioned.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo
I mainly play on the DL because letting the ai control each pass rusher is next to useless. If they actually fix this one year then I'd probably play a safety most of the time for the very same reason you mentioned.

How succesful are you guys, using DLs the majority of the game? I'd absolutely love to do this, but I dont trust the reactions in the hook zones, and people exploiting flat routes.

I control a hook zone LB or a robber S, and only touch the DL in desperation pass, 3rd and long situations.

If anyone is consistantly successful playing DL most of the time, in head to head games, id love some tips.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 3

Usually as the SS. I expect I'd use the FS if playing on a team where the FS was poor in awareness and associated ratings.
I admit, I leave control to the CPU if I'm in a deep zone or man to man! Too much risk of giving up a big play just from one small mis-move on the controller.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #22
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

I was a DE guy, but I'm trying to force myself to learn an LB spot.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 09-16-2009, 09:28 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 55

I'm kind of in the same boat as NYKIA. I'd like to play OLB in my 3-4 most the game to use James Harrison. I've done this, and have had success. For example, I remember one game where I had 2 sacks and 2 forced fumbles. You can really kill the play action by rushing from the edge.

BUT against people who are hell bent on short passes and are capable of sticking crossing routes and flat routes into ANY coverage I need to go out and just take it away. To be honest I either have a terrible reaction time or I am doing something wrong when trying to go for interceptions. I seem to always be late on the knock down and the ball often whizzes right by my defenders head in the flats. I try to undercut the route, but my player often doesn't react.

Any advice on how to get interceptions? I feel that I'm decent on player location, but my player often doesn't react when I hit the "Y" button. Is there a mechanism that doesn't allow interceptions to happen quick if you are in sprint mode? Do I need to knock down passes when in sprint mode and only go for interceptions when I'm squared up?

Do I need to be squared up to the QB? Is there a head-tracking issue? Do linebackers often just suck at pass D and that's the breaks? Is my reaction time really THAT bad?!

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 09-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I'm kind of in the same boat as NYKIA. I'd like to play OLB in my 3-4 most the game to use James Harrison. I've done this, and have had success. For example, I remember one game where I had 2 sacks and 2 forced fumbles. You can really kill the play action by rushing from the edge.

BUT against people who are hell bent on short passes and are capable of sticking crossing routes and flat routes into ANY coverage I need to go out and just take it away. To be honest I either have a terrible reaction time or I am doing something wrong when trying to go for interceptions. I seem to always be late on the knock down and the ball often whizzes right by my defenders head in the flats. I try to undercut the route, but my player often doesn't react.

Any advice on how to get interceptions? I feel that I'm decent on player location, but my player often doesn't react when I hit the "Y" button. Is there a mechanism that doesn't allow interceptions to happen quick if you are in sprint mode? Do I need to knock down passes when in sprint mode and only go for interceptions when I'm squared up?

Do I need to be squared up to the QB? Is there a head-tracking issue? Do linebackers often just suck at pass D and that's the breaks? Is my reaction time really THAT bad?!

Squaring back up with the strafe trigger, seems to help the "y button" responsiveness.

Its pretty much a pick your posion i guess.

Im resigned to go with DL, only if the yardage and situation is such, where the soft underneath cannot hurt me too much.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »