Home

potential rating should be changed during progression.

This is a discussion on potential rating should be changed during progression. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: what do you think about changing potential rating
YES 16 40.00%
NO 24 60.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #25
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: potential rating should be changed during progression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79
How about just drafting/trading for good players? If you have a 70 OVR player getting 16 sacks then you may want to think about upping the difficulty.
EXACTLY.

If you're playing on a serious difficulty and good sliders it's HARD to get low rated players stats padded.

Even if a guy has a big year, his potential shouldn't change. Every year there's guys that have a career or promising year or postseason and then falls back to mediocrity. See: Shaun Rogers, Dalton Hilliard, Matt Schaub, Mike Vick, Rocket Ismail, Joey Galloway, Chris Warren, DeAngelo Hall, Duante Culpepper, Willie Parker, Eli Manning (one great postseason and years of average play), Freddie Mitchell/Todd Pinkston (great play in the 04 playoffs and years of stinking it up) and on and on and on....

Not every player should be able to become a superstar, it's not realistic and make the game an arcade game. Play Blitz or NBA Jam if you want to see all players abke to do everything at an elite level.

Progression and potential are perfect. In the old gen Madden's you could make EVERY player a stud by padding stats or having a big playoff game. Not realistic at all as shown above. There was no need to draft and scout well (LIKE IN REAL LIFE), you could just draft anyone and up their ratings in mini-games or by padding stats.

I don't get why people want that system back. It makes every draft the same, every player the same, every season the same.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #26
Rookie

wickedbadman's Arena

OVR: 3

What they should do is make it that a player with a B potential (for example) can get up into the 90+ range, but with the lower potential the advancement is slower than a A potential player, and the effect of a bad year on ratings larger than an A player.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbadman
What they should do is make it that a player with a B potential (for example) can get up into the 90+ range, but with the lower potential the advancement is slower than a A potential player, and the effect of a bad year on ratings larger than an A player.
As far as I know, that's how it is.
I haven't seen anything official that caps a player ratings, just a few guesses. EA have confirmed that production is factored into progression.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:10 PM   #28
MVP

ZoneKIller's Arena

OVR: 18

I like Madden 04's progression the best.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #29
Pro

billyboy316's Arena

OVR: 7

The reason people want players to increase in overall for having a good season is because in Madden a player's value is mainly based on their overall. Where in real life a player's value is mainly based off their stats.

I feel if a player has a good season than his awareness should see a hefty increase at least. So for that DE who recorded 16 sacks then instead of his block shedding or pass rush increasing make his awareness and play recognition increase.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richieh
You still don't understand it. What the potential rating does is categorise that player as one of those, and there are many such players, who can put up good numbers but not actually get any better.
All EA need to do is hide the potential ratings next year.
That way, you get your decently rated receiver, invest some time playing him, and at the end of the season he might progress a lot or he might not at all, or he might even regress.
i respect your opinion on the potential rating should not be changed, i cant take that away from you. but from my perspective i think madden should have potential change in progression.

however i like your idea about hiding the potential rating.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneKIller
I like Madden 04's progression the best.
100% percent agree with you on that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
Agreed. Fluctuating potential doesn't really make sense. Otherwise its not a true potential rating.

Exactly. Changing progression is stupid, just draft better. Otherwise how else would you classify a bust?

If you could draft a C potential guy and just make him better with stats wouldn't that be the case with everyone? Some guys need to realize that players have good seasons and fall off the map all the time, if you could just change players potential it wouldn't even matter.

Just live with it, and draft better, it would be really pointless to make you change potential ratings. Real players always have a limit as to how far they'll get as well.

That's like saying if Patrick Crayton keeps catching 9 TD passes, he should be considered a top 10 WR just because of his stats which that's not the case.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »