Home

Madden should follow NBA Live's example

This is a discussion on Madden should follow NBA Live's example within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 52
Re: Madden should follow NBA Live's example

I think we're on the right track, and most that notice the core changes from 09 to 10 agree. Not everyone does, such is life, but the focus shifted away from one of new & flashy mechanics towards core gameplay improvements with our new design team.

I don't think it matters whether a person worked at 2k or not, its whether they 'get it' and whether they are focused on creating good and realistic gameplay. Our current team is built that way - and we're going to continue down that path of realism and authenticity.

I personally look at ALL games for inspiration, including 2k8, 2k5, and any other game that has positive elements. That's part of being a good designer IMO - finding things that other games do well and improving on it.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I think we're on the right track, and most that notice the core changes from 09 to 10 agree. Not everyone does, such is life, but the focus shifted away from one of new & flashy mechanics towards core gameplay improvements with our new design team.

I don't think it matters whether a person worked at 2k or not, its whether they 'get it' and whether they are focused on creating good and realistic gameplay. Our current team is built that way - and we're going to continue down that path of realism and authenticity.

I personally look at ALL games for inspiration, including 2k8, 2k5, and any other game that has positive elements. That's part of being a good designer IMO - finding things that other games do well and improving on it.
In all honesty I didnt mean for this thread to come across as some sort of "get all 2k guys to make Madden" type of thing. Madden 10 has a lot of good things going for it, and has so much potential. In all honesty Ian, you and your team have improved Madden the most.

I want Madden to be the best football series ever, especially since its the only NFL title available. Its just frustrating to see an older NFL game perform some of the physics that make football realistic better than Madden 10. Being a former EA QA tester I also know that its not always possible to get everything put into the game in time for deadlines. But I think that physics are the top priority in a simulation football game.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:25 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I think we're on the right track, and most that notice the core changes from 09 to 10 agree. Not everyone does, such is life, but the focus shifted away from one of new & flashy mechanics towards core game play improvements with our new design team.

I don't think it matters whether a person worked at 2k or not, its whether they 'get it' and whether they are focused on creating good and realistic game play. Our current team is built that way - and we're going to continue down that path of realism and authenticity.

Bravo Mr. Cummings, Bravo. Listen people I have been around since the first wave of video games, I got intellivision for Christmas one year (Yeah I'm that old) and let me tell you what we have today is phenomenal, outstanding, superb, any other accolade you can come up with. I understand that some of you think that we have not received the best game we could get, but how do people even get to that conclusion. 2k5 was just that 2k5, it belongs back there, in the past with my intellivision. Mr. Cummings even went back and looked at the game because of this nonsense that we needed things from 2k5, in Madden 10....just think of that right there, we needed things that were in a game 5yrs ago in this years game. No we didn't need those things, we need what we got, a step forward and I believe EA took that step. listen back in the early days (Sega Days) we didn't even know when Madden would launch or what would be in it. The questions were would there be names this year, would there be all the teams, would there be a season mode...on and on, and each year, without fail we got something new, not only something new, but the things we clamored for the year before. EA has been taking those steps year in year out since day one. So, I guess what I'm saying is, that if we all agree that this game is new, its not 09, it is its own game, then EA took a step. In my opinion it was a step forward, but that is up for everyone to decide, but if 2k5 was that close, if it was that good, then someone at 2k would have kept it alive. Because just like the man said "If you build it, they will come", now to this end I spent time along with other people on this site doing rosters for NCAA this year, it took some time and effort but it was worth because the game was worth it. Now with that being done for all the NCAA teams, we would not even break a sweat to do the NFL rosters, now if 2k had such a good engine, good game, best of the best people, then where are they, if they could build it they would build it. So once in for all put 2k5 where it belongs in the past, and lets be happy with steps that have been taken, and the ones I know will be taken in the future. Now lets get back to working on that 2ND patch.... JK...Keep up the good work and thanks for all the time you put in to making Madden better each and every year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdw22
Bravo Mr. Cummings, Bravo. Listen people I have been around since the first wave of video games, I got intellivision for Christmas one year (Yeah I'm that old) and let me tell you what we have today is phenomenal, outstanding, superb, any other accolade you can come up with. I understand that some of you think that we have not received the best game we could get, but how do people even get to that conclusion. 2k5 was just that 2k5, it belongs back there, in the past with my intellivision. Mr. Cummings even went back and looked at the game because of this nonsense that we needed things from 2k5, in Madden 10....just think of that right there, we needed things that were in a game 5yrs ago in this years game. No we didn't need those things, we need what we got, a step forward and I believe EA took that step. listen back in the early days (Sega Days) we didn't even know when Madden would launch or what would be in it. The questions were would there be names this year, would there be all the teams, would there be a season mode...on and on, and each year, without fail we got something new, not only something new, but the things we clamored for the year before. EA has been taking those steps year in year out since day one. So, I guess what I'm saying is, that if we all agree that this game is new, its not 09, it is its own game, then EA took a step. In my opinion it was a step forward, but that is up for everyone to decide, but if 2k5 was that close, if it was that good, then someone at 2k would have kept it alive. Because just like the man said "If you build it, they will come", now to this end I spent time along with other people on this site doing rosters for NCAA this year, it took some time and effort but it was worth because the game was worth it. Now with that being done for all the NCAA teams, we would not even break a sweat to do the NFL rosters, now if 2k had such a good engine, good game, best of the best people, then where are they, if they could build it they would build it. So once in for all put 2k5 where it belongs in the past, and lets be happy with steps that have been taken, and the ones I know will be taken in the future. Now lets get back to working on that 2ND patch.... JK...Keep up the good work and thanks for all the time you put in to making Madden better each and every year.
2k5 was and IS a great football game. Not perfect but it had a lot more of the core intracacies nailed down that makes football more realistic. DId it have all of it nailed down?? Not by a longshot. IT IS NOT AROUND ANYMORE BECAUSE EA BOUGHT THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS TO MAKE AN NFL FOOTBALL GAME!! 2K isnt gone because its old and outdated, its gone because 2k cannot legally make an NFL game. It would be great too see how good 2k could be if it were allowed to continue. Madden 10 is the best next gen Madden. But it is not the best football game by a longshot.

Madden will continue to receive all the heavy criticism as long as it is the sole NFL game. You are right that Madden has improved every year, but it hasnt improved to the level that it claims, or that most fans want. Madden seems to always suffer from many of the things that have plagued it in the past. It is only fair for us, consumers, to want Madden to deliver the best and most realistic NFL gaming experience since we have no other choice for an NFL title.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:12 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 7

Madden is not a bad football game, but its nothing special. If there was competition there would be a better football game out. I prefered Madden 2005 over NFL 2k5. Accually I was ranked #2 online on xbox for the first 3 months and hit #1 for alittle bit.

I use to sit in practice mode for 4hrs everyday before I went online and I would practice my playbook, and run my plays against every type of defense making sure I know what worked for every defense thrown at me. If I played a game and someone had sucess against me which was rare I would sit and practice against it till I could stop it. I would spend about 4 hrs in practice mode and play about 4+ games online a day.

I dont play online anymore because its pointless to get so good at a game and not beable to play a franchise with the CPU. My point is now days I still spend hrs everyday in practice mode but that time is spent tweaking sliders and accually trying to make madden playable against the CPU.

I spend about 6 hrs a day trying to get madden playable every year now and after a few months I gave up since its impossable.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 7

Maddens AI has not improved since like 04,05,06. The gameplay and visuals are up to par but the AI was left behind. Every Madden is a broken incomplete game.

If you announce a patch b4 you release a game and anounce a patch 2 before patch 1 is even out you know you have no testers and are completly brain dead.

Give me a copy of Madden a week b4 its released and I could point out every bug glitch in the game, and I guarntee nobody would find any others all year long. Its not hard.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:16 AM   #15
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
I think the problem really lies with the engine madden uses , more than EA needing to hire 2k people, but I can see why you feel that way.

Right now its looking like a really good move for the Live series.
Yup..it's the engine. Madden's engine is complete garbage compared to 2k's.

Unless Madden buys 2k's engine, it's not going to matter who works on the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2009, 01:14 AM   #16
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Dude, game design teams are huge, the 2k guy EA Hired was a producer, its not like they got the 2k's lifeline or something. He was just a dude that worked on the NBA 2k series and now he works for Live, big deal. Its like that EA lead designer from MVP going to MLB 2k, that worked out great didnt it!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »