Home

Madden should follow NBA Live's example

This is a discussion on Madden should follow NBA Live's example within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:19 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Madden should follow NBA Live's example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Wow this is interesting, if this is true all I can really do is laugh

Whats funny all developers study other games
Old 09-16-2009, 02:30 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 9

of course developers have to look at other games. heck, i wouldnt be surprised if Ian plays 2K5
Old 09-16-2009, 03:04 AM   #19
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Madden's problem is the same problem EA sports games has always suffered from. They can't seem to improve more then one thing at a time. Everytime they improve one feature, 2 or 3 other features take a step back.

Lets not forget how long it took Madden to get gang tackles, even though they been saying it in their games since Madden 96 as a new feature, along with the dive over the top animation.

Or how many years it took them to get Hit Stick to work smoothly. Or how many years it took them to bring back the cover up the ball feature. Really it took them over a decade to bring back the cover up the ball feature, along with hurdles.

So following their track record, I say by Madden 12 Pro Tak will be awesome.

One thing for sure, EA needs to lay off the patches. This generation companies seem to be patch happy. Just because you can patch, don't mean you should half do a game just for you can patch it up later.

Heck EA should have open beta testing for Madden and I gurantee 97% of the game flaws would be caught on day 1 of testing.

Anyway....they are on the right path. I just hope they take the express path and not the scenic path with their trying to acheive realism.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:19 AM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawcorp
Whoever is in charge of Madden should follow NBA Live 2010's lead. NBA Live hired a NBA 2k guy (Mike Wang) to pretty much fix NBA Live. The Madden series should do the same and just hire somebody or multiple ppl from the NFL 2k series to pretty much improve Madden. I've tried the NBA Live 2010 demo and I will say that it is a vast improvement. Imagine what can be done for Madden!!
I'm a huge NBA Live fan and although the game is a major step up over in NBA live 07-09 it still has flaws so don't fool yourself.

The player logic is flawed and the PG's seem to think as one meaning there is no difference between Jameer Nelson and Derek Fisher.

In Madden i can tell when Playing vs Peyton Manning as opposed to Jarmarcus Russell.

Not ragging on NBA LIve because I do tons of stuff with that game every year but it's not better than Madden 10 plain and simple.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 09-16-2009, 03:25 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I think we're on the right track, and most that notice the core changes from 09 to 10 agree. Not everyone does, such is life, but the focus shifted away from one of new & flashy mechanics towards core gameplay improvements with our new design team.

I don't think it matters whether a person worked at 2k or not, its whether they 'get it' and whether they are focused on creating good and realistic gameplay. Our current team is built that way - and we're going to continue down that path of realism and authenticity.

I personally look at ALL games for inspiration, including 2k8, 2k5, and any other game that has positive elements. That's part of being a good designer IMO - finding things that other games do well and improving on it.
I couldn't agree more with you more.

I'm a die hard NBA Live fan and I'd love for NBA Live to adopt a lot 2K's ideas on the floor starting with animations.

I see nothing wrong with incorporating things from another company into your game play especially if you know it works. People steal business ideas every single day.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2009, 07:00 AM   #22
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
I'm a huge NBA Live fan and although the game is a major step up over in NBA live 07-09 it still has flaws so don't fool yourself.

The player logic is flawed and the PG's seem to think as one meaning there is no difference between Jameer Nelson and Derek Fisher.

In Madden i can tell when Playing vs Peyton Manning as opposed to Jarmarcus Russell.

Not ragging on NBA LIve because I do tons of stuff with that game every year but it's not better than Madden 10 plain and simple.
PM wow bro,are you serious, on the live forum we both agree that them subtracting stuff is puzling and not for the overall benefit of the real long time fans BUT madden 10 is not going in the right direction and that has nothing to do with the " DEV" personally its not one person responsibility the vision of the entire team is muddled. I dont know who can do a different job but this teams idea of football differs from what most of us want....

i wont say 2k's team did a better job, because everyone has their own idea of what football is and after 10 i realized that mine and EA's are at odds....

i cant tell the difference between manning and russel they both throw to the slot all game they both hold the ball 10 seconds in the pocket and then throw to a man blanketed in coverage they both get picked off 10 times a game if i try, they both dont throw the ball deep with any anticipation etc etc....

and to be honest russell is more similar to an nfl player way more so then manning ex, his lower awr means he takes time to find an open guy( or takes longer to throw to him sometimes which ever ) unlike manning whose 99 means he knows when anyone gets an inch seperation whether he is looking that way or not, and regardless if its wayne or G robinson ( the Fb) and he passes it ofcourse to the FB,

a quick note on logic namely the qb logic its non existant, Qb's in madden dont have a favorite target like i keep hearing about on sundays, qb's in this game are programmed to do 2 things ONLY

1. DONT GET SACKED
2. PASS IT TO THE FIRST OPEN GUY( now some may say whats wrong with this and i'll respond ALOT, how are the bums getting open more often that the stars both on single coverage, why have stars when utility guys can get 5 106 2 tds a game, why have good cb's when they all get beat by bums, why play in the madden universe where moss is a scrub and G lewis is jerry rice jr)

its the same in live fisher is slower than nelson, manning is more acc then russell one difference in both games

#18 greatest EVA....

Last edited by carnalnirvana; 09-16-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFunk4
Maddens AI has not improved since like 04,05,06. The gameplay and visuals are up to par but the AI was left behind. Every Madden is a broken incomplete game.

If you announce a patch b4 you release a game and anounce a patch 2 before patch 1 is even out you know you have no testers and are completly brain dead.

Give me a copy of Madden a week b4 its released and I could point out every bug glitch in the game, and I guarntee nobody would find any others all year long. Its not hard.
I have actually been an EA tester. I wasnt a tester on Madden. Speaking from experience, its not as easy as the tester finding the bug, and the developers fixing it. There's just simply not enough time and budget to get all and every bug fixed. That being said sometimes devs will ignore or look pass certain bugs, and suggestiong that the game testers find or give. You should also understand that although the newest Madden comes once a year, the devs dont exatly get one year to work on it. If Madden is released in August, it is usually finished by June. It takes a while for it to be approved by Microsoft and Sony, and for all the copies to get printed.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
I couldn't agree more with you more.

I'm a die hard NBA Live fan and I'd love for NBA Live to adopt a lot 2K's ideas on the floor starting with animations.

I see nothing wrong with incorporating things from another company into your game play especially if you know it works. People steal business ideas every single day.

u are right dude but tiburon has been borrowing 2k5 feature set for awhile.

qb evade
keeping the same control scheme for both sides of the ball.
precision passing
hit stick
hold button to select player instead of cycling thru
tap A to break tackles
automatic hurdles
automatic get skinny
defensive assignment
jukes on R stick
chaining moves together
branching tackles

there's a few more in there.
now if u break it down i don't really see alot of ideas 2k borrowed from madden but the other way around.

madden has borrowed alot over the yrs almost to a point where u ask what have u came up with on ur own?

that answer is easy of course, but i'm just saying.
i would say that if we did not have 2k, tiburon would not have alot of ideas to borrow from so heavily.

just my 2cents.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »