Home

To be a PRO, or to not be a PRO? WOW!!!!

This is a discussion on To be a PRO, or to not be a PRO? WOW!!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #57
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: To be a PRO, or to not be a PRO? WOW!!!!

There's no doubt that there are some things that versuz's sliders do very well. But just like every other set of sliders in existence, there are glaring problems that surface when testing. Bottom line with every slider set is, can you live with the problems they leave unfixed.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 2

All I have to say is thanks EA for a complete and utter diasaster. I dont remember having to tinker with sliders and testing in Madden 04 and Madden 05, I dont remember having to come to a website to get test results and play results just to justify my purchase, but now in next gen when everything is supposed to be sweat and high tech it has actually gotten worse. I have hasd to compromise my game play in the last 2 seasons of Madden instead of enjoying th game and just playing, hopefully EA can fix the stupid slider thing, I absolutely hate it, even though its a must I hate having to fix stuff that shouldnt have to be fixed in the first place.

Whatever, I'm only playing this game offline franchise and once MW2 is released it will probably kill all Madden for me.

NFL Awards & Accomplishments: 2008 Pro-Bowl , Texans Single Season Sack Record,
Old 09-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #59
Banned

bill2451's Arena

OVR: 16

anytime you watch any video online showcasing sliders, keep in mind that that person gets to pick and choose what you see and what you don't see

I could use the most unrealistic sliders in the world, and i'll still get plays that look great and realistic sometimes
Old 09-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #60
Banned

bill2451's Arena

OVR: 16

not to mention, just watching his first video about how great pro running is, I can pinpoint quite a few big issues...

he talks about how great that double team block and then the switch was (where the RT goes into the 2nd level to block Lewis and the RB comes up and blocks the guy who just beat the double team)

yeah except 1 huge problem, it was unrealistic! That was suction blocking at its finest, the RB got a perfect head on block where the DE was sucked right into that animation where they are holding each others jerseys

issue #2, that 2nd level block on the backside he starts talking about, HUGE suction block as well... the LB gets stuck in place until the lineman gets there because the block was initiated from so far away

3rd issue, he's talking about how ratings matter on pro and his example is jets center dominating the Ravens DT... yeah except when the play is already behind them the block should disengage... no way the C should continue to hold that block once the play is past them
Old 09-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #61
Pro

OVR: 6

Well, there is something to this Pro setting. HOWEVER, that being said, take your punter or kicker and sub him in at QB. Then watch as you complete 70% of your passes. And don't take my word for it--try it yourselves.

So pick your poison;either way this game is FUBAR. And sadly, I seriously doubt any patch will help much. I wish it were otherwise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #62
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

I just witnessed something that may give a bit of credence to the theories. I'm coaching KC (me) @ NYJ using MySkill. My IQ is 627 so my sliders are pretty high. Cassel throws the pass to Charles in the flat who has nothing but open field in front of him. Instead of gaining the 5-7 positive yards, he turns and runs AWAY from the LOS only to be stopped for a 3 yard loss. It's not the 1st time I've seen it.

*shrugs*

EDIT
Well I'll be d*mned. On 2nd and Goal, down 7-21, Cassel hit Johnson in the flat who stopped, and turned away from the LOS to result in a 9 yard loss. WTF?????

Last edited by NoleFan; 09-18-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #63
Rookie

muktownballer33's Arena

OVR: 5

My experiences trying the pro sliders is average at best. I do agree that the players move much better and I personally have seen a lot less of the cpu "cheating." The cpu running game seemed much more improved as well as mine as long as I made the proper adjustments. Overall all seemed perfect except for one thing, the passing game. Not only am I able to TEAR the cpu defense apart, but the computer QB's are impossible to stop at times. Watching guys go 34/36 for 500 yards a game completely negates all of the improvements these sliders gave me. All in all a great idea. But I'd much rather play a challenging games with some player glitches. Yeah the cpu might "cheat" sometimes. But I can easily right that off as a player making a mistake or a great play with a crappy animation to represent it.

My only hope is the patches save this game. Otherwise it's just going to be an average at best nfl sim for me.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:21 AM   #64
Rookie

OpTiOnMaStA's Arena

OVR: 4

I'm seeing a lot of people criticizing the pro slider settings by saying that they'd crush the CPU on them all the time, etc. The reality of this, I think, is a mindset that people have which they think they can't get a good game on the pro level. From my experience in EA football games, you can get good games on the pro difficulty if you mess around with the settings. I've played on every difficulty level too, and I can win on every difficulty level so I don't need to play on pro in order to win games. To just wrap up this thought, it doesn't really make you a sissy to play on pro. There are very valid reasons to play on that level and to be honest I have seen some convincing results that it just may be the way to go if you want to see things work the way they are meant to in this game, especially in the blocking schemes.

2-3 years ago I would have been scouring the internet to find the absolute best sliders for this game. I would have been checking out what Playmakers was putting out and other guys who annually put out slider sets that get a lot of acclaim. I would have been looking for two things: challenging games which meant I would lose a few, and some realistic statistics. What I have found, though, is that it's not worth the trouble to stress over finding the perfect set. Much like the sentiment someone else had in this thread, you need to just kind of enjoy the game for what it is. It will never be perfect because the game is inherently flawed. You just need to enjoy it as best you can and find the settings that kind of work for you. Some people want to play close games and there are some slider sets that will help with that (the Madden IQ has helped me in this regard). Others are stat junkies who want to make sure that they get their 125 plays per game and 60-70% completion percentage for QBs on average, and between 4-5 YPC for just about any back over the course of the game. Really, whatever floats your boat here. Just realize, nothing is perfect nor will it ever be.

I'm not sharing this to berate those who make sliders or are in search of the perfect set, but I have been getting a whole lot more enjoyment out of the games since I realized this. A game is a game is a game is a game...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »